need help with parts

silver

need help with parts

Post by silver » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

When they sent me the new nose cone and front body panel, they didn't send Dzus fasteners.....I need to get one new Dzus fasterner if I could use the exisiting ones if someone could tell me where to get the retainer clips that are being used to hold the ones on the body panel as it is......any help is appreciated.

Also, for those out there where the body panels are loose and causing noises, such as the airbox cover or tea tray, if you add washers, it makes the body panels snug down much better....only problem with the tea tray ones just like the front body panel is that there is a retainer clip on there that prevents removal..

Can I get these are lowe's depot or something???  HELP :)

DarthChicken

Re: need help with parts

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm

Don't use the retainers.  Like you said - if something is loose, you can't add a washer.  There's really no reason for those retainers, other than to keep you from losing the clips.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:16 pm

ok point taken....obviously it will lead to some falling off then...so I should probably order extra Dzus fasteners

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:27 pm

Do you mean dzus or panoz?

On the Uk Atom, the smaller ones are Panoz, the two big ones on the tea tray are Dzus clips.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:33 pm

On the US atom, they are all the same large sized units.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:37 pm

Oh good question, I'm actually not sure, I thought they were all called Dzus fasteners (like a brand name)

Basically on my car, about 1 week after buying it (now over a year ago) the fastener at the very front of the car under the nose fell out......I've replaced it 2 times using all of my extras, and they fell out too, so I haven't had one there for about 1 year.  The other two on the top of the nose body panel are held in with retainers, so if I want to use them on the new body panel I'll have to cut off the retainers, unless there is a more civil way of removing them.

Then on the tea tray, the ones that fasten towards the front of the car are very loose and I need to add washers so they tighten up but again they are held in by the retainer so I have not yet taken them off.

Ideally I'd like to know where the fasteners come from so that I can add one to the front nose body panel underneath so that it won't fall off again, once I get more fasteners.

So that whole story being said.....I guess I'd probably want a few of each type of fastener and retainers too and washers while I'm at it.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:21 pm

I think this is where brammo got them
http://www.southco.com/product/class.aspx?cid=7438

You can get them customized, retainers, sizes, etc

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:43 pm

yup that's where they got them...I had forgotten...I called them back in the day, you have to order a huge qty to get it directly from them...there are many resellers though....I was more curious to be able to find the retainers...are they some sort of generic retainer.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:00 pm

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/dzus.php

I cant find the retainers though. 

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:08 pm

DUDE I think you did....there's a category for each called "grommets and retainers" I bet retainers is what I need. cool ;)

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:15 pm

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Coleman Racing carrys many fasteners. Get them to send you a catalogue, it's much better than their online offerings. I've used their WeldNuts to create threads in a too thin frame that kept stripping out it's swaybar mounts.  And even built furniture using Dzus Fasteners to hold a few removable panels on. :)