My dumbness knows no bounds

slowcharles

My dumbness knows no bounds

Post by slowcharles » Wed May 21, 2008 12:14 pm

So I get up at 5am this morning for a little atom run and the atom won't start. It sound like a flat battery - starter turning over but no ignition.

But it isn't a flat battery-the battery is fully charged. The thing is a couple of days ago I powerwashed my engine( on a low setting but pretty powerful still) and then pushed it back into my garage. i didnt cover up my ecu but I avoided spraying it.

Is there anything I should be looking at?

wisp

Re: My dumbness knows no bounds

Post by wisp » Wed May 21, 2008 1:05 pm

Don't be so hard on yourself. You can only justify a thread title like that if it turns out to be an empty fuel tank.  ;D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed May 21, 2008 1:48 pm

could be anything, from wet spark plugs to a sensor wire got knocked loose (crank or cam sensor).  Or even just water in the plugs for those sensors.

Start unplugging things one at at time and dry them off.

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Wed May 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Start unplugging things eh.......

There lays my path to total ruin. Does anyone have pics available to show what exactly I should be drying off.I where are the spark plugs.

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Wed May 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Where are you Charles? Maybe someone local would pop around and have a look see for you.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed May 21, 2008 4:35 pm

Since it sounded like battery I would try jumping it anyway. I would also check to see that the battery connections are tight in 3 places: The battery terminals, the block at the front of the passenger compartment, and the master cutoff.

I am not much technical help but if you just get it to turn over and hold idle manually (with your foot) for a few minutes everything may dry out ok.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed May 21, 2008 4:48 pm

water makes sense since my car has acted really weird after washing.  Having taken my whole engine out the harness plugs and spark plugs are a very easy thing to check.  All the harness plugs were different shapes if I remember correctly so would be difficult to mess up plugging it back together.  The spark plugs are on the top of the engine.  If you power washed it I bet they are sitting in a pool of water now. 

Remove the panel over the plugs that the coolant tank is attached to.  It has 4 hex bolts to remove

The coils underneath are bolted in with a single bolt.  They pop off and the spark plug is underneath.  Make sure that whole area is dry.

silver

Post by silver » Wed May 21, 2008 4:57 pm

ummm if you take the spark plugs out................don't blow any debris into the engine, that would be bad mmmmkay

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed May 21, 2008 5:14 pm

Power washers are for tractors.And bulldozers.Not Atoms and motorcycles.
Try the crank sensor plug.If no signal to the ecm,no spark and no fuel.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed May 21, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed May 21, 2008 5:59 pm

If the starter is turning over, its not teh battery  ::)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed May 21, 2008 7:57 pm

I assumed that "sounded like battery" meant that the battery didn't crank very well.

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Thu May 22, 2008 3:15 am

Does anyone have a picture of the distributor. I checked everything else.

silver

Post by silver » Thu May 22, 2008 3:16 am

umm there isn't a distributor per se.  each spark plug has a coil pack.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu May 22, 2008 5:04 am

[quote="slowcharles"]
Is there anything I should be looking at?
[/quote]

If you can wait until I get back (this weekend), I'll look at it.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu May 22, 2008 10:37 am

The distributor is next to the A/C compressor. ;D Seriously,check your crank sensor;it tells the ECU the engine is spinning, and then delivers spark and fuel.