post atomfest work

DarthChicken

post atomfest work

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:31 pm

after driving my car 5500 miles for atomfest (that includes over 100 miles on the track), several issues became more important for me to fix.

#1 - the brake lights.  Yesterday, I bought some 1157 LED bulbs, soldered some wires to the bulbs themselves (3 wires - ground, brake and running light) and then hardwired (soldered) the bulbs right into the harness.  I took the spring and black plastic "button" out of the housing, along with the metal ground tab, and used a little epoxy to hold the bulb in.  No more loose bulbs or wiring issues for me, thank you.  If the LED bulb should die (not likely) I can still break the epoxy to get the bulb out to replace.

#2 - my water injection.  Worked great at the track, but I really had no way of testing to make sure it was working.  I wired in a toggle switch that turns the pump on, and I can hear the water flowing inside the intake.

#3 - the metal dust cover that is on the clutch rod.  Mine had come loose.  I had ziptied it, but the zipties kept breaking, and dust and other crap was definitely getting in there.  Last thing I wan to do is replace my clutch cylinder because the seals were destroyed.  So I drilled and tapped the cover, and put a set screw through it that locks it on to the cylinder.  I also put some water proof marine grease inside the cover after cleaning it, to keep water out.

Just need to get the seat coated sometime this winter with bed liner, and possible have the coilovers rebuilt (the adjustment screws on the rear shocks are wet, probably leaking seals) and I'll be ready for next year!

John Lloyd

Re: post atomfest work

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:36 pm

Sleeping a lot to shake off the hangover and jet lag!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Gage

Post by Gage » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:19 pm

In lieu of not having an Atom... I'm uploading lots and lots of pics.  =0)

Why the heck can't a better brake light housing be implemented?  I've been there and done that.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:00 pm

It can be - and has been done in the UK...

I don't know why it can't be replicated in the US...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:31 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
after driving my car 5500 miles for atomfest (that includes over 100 miles on the track), several issues became more important for me to fix.

#1 - the brake lights.  Yesterday, I bought some 1157 LED bulbs, soldered some wires to the bulbs themselves (3 wires - ground, brake and running light) and then hardwired (soldered) the bulbs right into the harness.  I took the spring and black plastic "button" out of the housing, along with the metal ground tab, and used a little epoxy to hold the bulb in.  No more loose bulbs or wiring issues for me, thank you.  If the LED bulb should die (not likely) I can still break the epoxy to get the bulb out to replace.

#2 - my water injection.  Worked great at the track, but I really had no way of testing to make sure it was working.  I wired in a toggle switch that turns the pump on, and I can hear the water flowing inside the intake.

#3 - the metal dust cover that is on the clutch rod.  Mine had come loose.  I had ziptied it, but the zipties kept breaking, and dust and other crap was definitely getting in there.  Last thing I wan to do is replace my clutch cylinder because the seals were destroyed.  So I drilled and tapped the cover, and put a set screw through it that locks it on to the cylinder.  I also put some water proof marine grease inside the cover after cleaning it, to keep water out.

Just need to get the seat coated sometime this winter with bed liner, and possible have the coilovers rebuilt (the adjustment screws on the rear shocks are wet, probably leaking seals) and I'll be ready for next year!
[/quote]
Darth my metal dust cover that is on the clutch rod has also come loose. I am going to do the same thing and drill and tap it but don't have the tools right now. All Brammo does to secure it is to squirt in some black silicone and push it on. They should have drilled it and tapped it before the sale.
The nut on the same shaft also came loose which is a lot more serious I think. Guys it's probably a good idea to check that nut on a regular basis. It's located on the opposite end to where the dust cover is.
cheers

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:13 am

-Lost one exhaust flange bolt.  Replaced it.
-One of my shifter linkage retaining pins backed out at Atomfest, was able to gently tap it back in.  It started to back out again, so it's been tapped back in again.  I think this is going to be a "check regularly" item unless I can find a permanent fix.
-The rear wing bracket mount padding (taped rubber strips) worked their way out of their clamps.  I think this would be a recurring problem, so I made some bigger padding that wraps around the frame instead of just being stuck inside the bracket.  They should last much longer and won't creep out from under the clamps anymore.
-Car desperately needs a wash.
-Need to clean up the jury-rigged "Lucas harness" under the dash I put in place as part of an interceptor gauge installation.  I now have all the proper bits and just need to install them.
-I should check into that clutch thingy...never noticed any issue there, but will take a closer look now.
-Check and fix any light issues.  I know that I have one turn signal out and may have one of the filiments out on a brake light bulb.

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:14 pm

I am getting sick of my lights. The  drivers side rear brake light popped out and this is the new housing :-[

My fog light bulb also pops out when it feels like :doh:

In my opinion the 'upgraded' light housings are only slightly better then the old ones.

McFred

Post by McFred » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:26 am

A fairly thorough cleaning and oil changes for the engine and gear box.  Only 3700 miles so far...

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:32 am

Spanky, it's not as much the time as the $$$ numbers 1,2&3 will cost. :td:

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:48 am

Im working on the plan now.  Probably rods, pistons, rings, head studs, valves, valve springs, dry sump, turbo, exhaust, performance clutch...

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:07 pm

Is the Brammo Atom too fragile for track use? It seems that going to the track can really get expensive will various things breaking or falling off. Thats one of the reasons I won't track my Atom.

I am actuallynthinking of buying a new Subaru Sti for track use. My friend who has tracked his Sti brutally for the last 3 years just got his enine replaced on warranty after 50k miles. He regularly busts stuff on his car and Subaru ha no issue replacing it on warranty. And getting that car to 500hp and possibly faster then a stock Atom should be no big deal
I am lucky that I live near a lot of twisties so having fun on the road is easy in the Atom.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:14 pm

not at all.  A whole new low mileage used engine would cost you $1500 (I looked).  Your costs are primarily going to be consumables (tires, oil, etc).  I've spent $0 on repairs after 7 track days now though my muffler is rattling a bit and will need to be replaced.  Most people made it through atomfest just fine.  This was even with over half the group spinning at one point or another and pushing it really hard considering they were racing other Atom's

I cant imagine that you would spend the cost in repairs that it would cost to buy a STI unless you crashed it.  Please go out and have a track day in the car.  Drive at 80% so that you wont worry about hurting the car and you will still have 1000% more fun that with an STI

positron

Post by positron » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:26 pm

[quote="slowcharles"]
Is the Brammo Atom too fragile for track use? It seems that going to the track can really get expensive will various things breaking or falling off. Thats one of the reasons I won't track my Atom.

I am actuallynthinking of buying a new Subaru Sti for track use. My friend who has tracked his Sti brutally for the last 3 years just got his enine replaced on warranty after 50k miles. He regularly busts stuff on his car and Subaru ha no issue replacing it on warranty. And getting that car to 500hp and possibly faster then a stock Atom should be no big deal
I am lucky that I live near a lot of twisties so having fun on the road is easy in the Atom.
[/quote]

Is the Atom a race car? No.. can it be taken to the track for recreation purposes? Absolutely.. I purchased it solely for that. Do tires brakes, fuel, travel cost money? Yes.. I have 16 track days since May with 3 more planned before year end with only muffler repair/redesign and a rear set of tires. Smiles per gallon are enormous.

It's certainly more at home on the track than cruising your local streets..

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:43 pm

Maybe you could tow your STi racecar to the track with your Atom?

I thought I would share some personal feelings on this subject:

Dear Viper,

Through two years and 22,000 miles you have been the best. Oh, the (lap) times we've had. You have done everything I have asked of you and more. We have been to so many places, and your performance has far exceeded my expectations. Throughout your ($$) modifications you have performed better, cutting our lap times significantly, overachieving at even the most technical tracks. Remember passing our first new Z06, and when they let us participate in Ferrari days, and how about all of the other track days accrosss the east coast?

Your compound tires have been perfect, how else can we shred through our front tires in a weekend? How many sets of tires did we go through anyway? And brakes, wow, we have had fun catching people with our brakes (that were useless after 2 track days.)

Unfortunately, I have some bad news. Something else has caught my eye. No she doesn't have anywhere near as much horsepower as you do, and no, she doesn't have an 8.3 liter engine. She might not even be as reliable as you. Sadly, it is not you that has changed... Its me. (You are still the overweight pig I originally purchased and sunk tens of thousands of dollars into.)

She can do everything on a track cheaper and faster than you, and she will be here soon. I am sure that I will miss you when caught in the rain, when the it gets cold, or when I just want to be left alone.

My only hope is that you understand how very difficult this is for me (waiting for my atom.)

Love,

-m

BTW - How many more track miles did I have until I would have needed to rebuild or replace your $20k engine?
Last edited by Marcus on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:49 pm

Slow, I think your looking at this whole track thing backwards. The Atom was made for the track. It even says so when you buy the car. I bought the Atom for track use because of the extremely high cost of running my Porsche on the race track compared to a car like the Atom. Since the Atom is so light weight it is not nearly as hard on consumables like brakes, tires and suspension components like heavier cars are. I've read on line where guys with 911's, Vettes and Vipers can burn through a set of tires in one weekend, and brakes in 3 weekends. The brakes on the Atom should last an entire season of track days and maybe more, and the tires should last the season as well.
If you got an STI I know you would go through tires and brakes much faster, and still not have nearly as much fun doing it as you would in your Atom.
Save your money and take your Atom to the track. So far I have done 4 track days with my Atom and the only thing I have had problems with was the exhaust system. Once someone figures out a proper exhaust for the Atom you really should only be spending money on fuel. All the Atom requires is for you to go over the car and make sure everything is tight. Plus the Atom will blow away an STI on the track.
cheers