Leaky shock?

bolus

Leaky shock?

Post by bolus » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:30 am

So I assume green fluid coming from the top of the shock is bad right?

ross

Re: Leaky shock?

Post by ross » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:50 am

That part's looking a bit dusty there Bolus.... ;)

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:01 pm

anyone know of the exact model of 3012 Koni that the Atom has?  They come in a bunch of different sizes apparently.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:41 pm

[quote="bolus"]
anyone know of the exact model of 3012 Koni that the Atom has?  They come in a bunch of different sizes apparently.
[/quote]
Sorry to hear about your shock. Would Brammo cover it? I wonder what the manufactures warranty is on shocks?
Well just look on the bright side, this problem now gives you an excuse to upgrade to the race shocks which apparently are much easier to adjust on the car.
cheers

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:00 pm

[quote="bolus"]
[/quote]

the koni part numbers are 3012 BRM1 B16 (front) and 3012 BRM2 (rear). My guess is "BRM" stands for "Brammo" and they're at least semi-custom parts.

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:13 pm

From the FAQ section of the Koni North America Website -> http://www.koni-na.com/faq.html#10

Q: What is theKONI warranty? How do I go about getting replacements?

A:The KONI warranty is a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser against defects in materials and workmanship and against wear out for as long as you own that car registered for street use. The warranty does not cover damage to the parts caused by misuse, misapplication, installation, motorsports, etc. The warranty does not include mounting bushings. If you determine you have a defective damper you can either contact the company which you purchased the unit(s) from or contact KONI North America directly at warranty@koni-na.com or 859-586-4100. To process your warranty, we will require a copy of the purchase receipt and a vehicle registration. We will generate a return goods authorization (RGA) and can replace the dampers in advance at your discretion. For more specific information about the warranty see inside back cover of our technical guide.

Having bought Konis for a car some years ago I was sure that the warranty was for life so I looked it up.
If they are true to their word then Brammo should be able to get you a FREE replacement.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:47 am

It would be nice if Koni will fix it but I need a shock to drive to Atomfest as well as test my car out with the new equipment before driving to atomfest.  So I asked Brammo for a quote on a new one.  I guess I can still send the old one in for repair and keep it as a spare

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:59 am

Truth is they probably won't cover damage to seals caused by cleaning fluids.  ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:03 am

[quote="wisp"]
Truth is they probably won't cover damage to seals caused by cleaning fluids.  ;D

[/quote]

I lick them clean.  Is that covered?

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:44 am

I wouldn't admit to licking it in the return goods authorization (RGA) just in case. LOL

Are you sure that fluid is coming from inside the shock. It looks very similar to Turtle Wax car wash.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:56 am

Did you just accuse me of using Turtle Wax??  Well... I... OOOOH... I'd rather polish my car with sandpaper

Yeah, it is definitely coming from the shock and I have no cleaning fluid that is green and oily. 

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:06 am

Drat, drat and double drat, then.

Buying a new one is top priority then. I have one shock I'm suspicious of because of the noise it makes, but leaking fluid is pretty serious.

twebb

Post by twebb » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:34 pm

Before you buy a new shock give these guys a call.  They are in the Portland area.

www.shock-shop.com

Chris Billings 503-621-0621.

Tell them you found out about them through Apexspeed.com

Good luck.

I imagine they would be able to do a rebuild in short order, although they are probably rebuilding a bunch of shocks for the Runoffs.

Tim

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:40 pm

Thanks Tim, that is a good option. 

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:57 pm

no go, he does not service Koni's.  But Recommended True Choice in Ohio.