Standard Tachometer/Speedometer or SPA micro dash?

fiestycolumbian

Standard Tachometer/Speedometer or SPA micro dash?

Post by fiestycolumbian » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:26 pm

I am a tall guy, 6'1" and I was told that for taller people, it is harder to see the dash through the steering wheel, so for that reason alone, I am considering going with the SPA microdash because it is attached to the wheel, therefore you can see it through the wheel. Any thoughts?
Also how good is it to anyone who has it, and how reliable is it?
Fiesty

Bruce Fielding

Re: Standard Tachometer/Speedometer or SPA micro dash?

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:02 am

Can't comment on the microdash.

However...

If you have the one piece seats - not the pansy hi-rise Sparcos, and you don't have a shift light steering wheel (which you don't need - but there's that 'n' word...) then you can see the dials on the normal Spa dash just fine.

I do know, from experience, that the steering wheel does get knocked about when it's not on the car, and if the wheel was removeable - which with that sort of kit on I guess it would need to be for security reasons -  that would worry me if a significant bit of kit got damaged.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:10 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]I do know, from experience, that the steering wheel does get knocked about when it's not on the car, and if the wheel was removeable - which with that sort of kit on I guess it would need to be for security reasons -  that would worry me if a significant bit of kit got damaged.
[/quote]

The Microdash display is a relatively inexpensive piece of the system - the real money is in the software in the control box (which stays with the car), and the accelerometer, lap timing receiver, etc. if you have those fitted. The display is in a metal case - the only part that might get damaged is the plastic faceplate, and you can do what I did and put a sheet of Xpel / whatever alternate you have of protective plastic sheeting over it to protect from scratches.

ebeck

Post by ebeck » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:20 pm

Brammo Motorsports is in the process of redesigning the dash.  I really wanted it for my car, which I received about 2 weeks ago, but completion was just too far away.  In Sept of 2006 Craig told me the dash would be about 6-9 months away.  I don't know if this time frame has changed.  So if you just ordered your Atom, this problem might take care of itself.

I have thought about just getting a slightly larger diameter steering wheel for non-track use.  I am not sure if I be able to find one.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:26 pm

[quote="ebeck"]
Brammo Motorsports is in the process of redesigning the dash.  I really wanted it for my car, which I received about 2 weeks ago, but completion was just too far away.  In Sept of 2006 Craig told me the dash would be about 6-9 months away.  I don't know if this time frame has changed.  So if you just ordered your Atom, this problem might take care of itself.

I have thought about just getting a slightly larger diameter steering wheel for non-track use.  I am not sure if I be able to find one.
[/quote]

You could consider one of the choices from SPA:
http://www.spatechnique.com/product_pag ... wheels.asp

The size of the current wheel feels perfect to me (except for the obstructed view).  I wonder if Brammo will do an upgrade kit for the dash?

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:48 pm

A reason I did not really contemplate the microdash is because it would not be able to be registered in Texas, because one of the rules is that there is an indicator on the dash for low beam and high beam in 2 different colors, and it doesn't look like there is any indicators on the microdash.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:35 pm

[quote="silver"]
A reason I did not really contemplate the microdash is because it would not be able to be registered in Texas, because one of the rules is that there is an indicator on the dash for low beam and high beam in 2 different colors, and it doesn't look like there is any indicators on the microdash.
[/quote]

Those indicators are on the panel behind the wheel - the headight switch lights up when on, and there is a separate blue "high beam" indicator there too.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:37 pm

AHAA, THATS FANTASTIC!!