Harrop install requires air temperature sensor modification

Heywood-Yablowme

Harrop install requires air temperature sensor modification

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:19 pm

The air temperature sensor must be trimmed to clear the Harrop.See last photo for what it looks like.
Interference:

Fits fine if I remove the sensor...

Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Re: Norm,can you look at your Harrop and see what they did for clearance?

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:25 pm

just remote mount it.  Pull it off, 1/8th NPT the hole, put a nipple on it, and run a hose to the sensor.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:33 pm

It's an air temp sensor,so remote mounting it won't really work well.It has to sit in the air charge stream to be accurate.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:14 pm

OK,got the fix.You have to trim the air charge sensor like so...

Then it fits fine,and the wiring reaches as well.

Whew...!!  I hate it when things don't fit... :D

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Harrop install requires air temperature sensor modification

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:56 pm

Trimmed and rotated into position.You use the stock bolt to secure it.

Harrop installed! Whoopee!The bottom bolts are tough,but not bad through the trap door on the firewall.

NOTE: You must remove the motor mount bolt under the LF of the engine/trans assy to lower the engine enough to get the old blower off and the new Harrop on.

Support the engine/trans assy right under the bellhousing (jack) and remove the one through bolt. Easy. Otherwise,you WILL struggle to get the blower out of that area.

The MAP sensor,which is supposed to be scary close,has LOTS of clearance... ;)

Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]

The MAP sensor,which is supposed to be scary close,has LOTS of clearance... ;)

[/quote]

Thanks, that's the one I was worried about.

Will the stock intake tube still go back in place?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:42 am

Yes,the throttle body location is unaltered from stock. If it fits stock,it will fit with the Harrop.

Well,that's the story..I ran out of ambition about 7:00.. as the shop was cooling off (it's 25 degrees out and the heat is down to 57 for the night.) .......patted myself on the back 8)    and went for a walk with the girls. ;D

I'll finish it up later this week. I have to wait for the tune another week anyway....no rush..it's winter... :P :P :'( :'(

Not like I can take it for the customary spin around the block (country block is about 5 miles+) with the hood off...  :D    ahh the good ole days.... :wize:
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:12 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]

..take it for the customary spin around the block   :D    ahh the good ole days.... :wize:
[/quote]

yep.. been there, done that.. 1:30 am with open headers.. nothing quite like lighting off a new motor..  ;D

the work ain't considered done until it makes it around the block..  :tu:

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:08 am

Around the block...with no problems..! :D

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:24 am

Mark, I will look in the next couple of days to see what mine looks like.  Looking good so far!

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:19 am

[quote="Positron"]
yep.. been there, done that.. 1:30 am with open headers.. nothing quite like lighting off a new motor..  ;D[/quote]

On one of my other boards, a guy is building a dedicated 1990 Mazda GTUs track car, and as one of the steps he completely tore down the rotary engine and rebuilt it. When he started it up, he was quite surprised:

[quote="Other message board"]In case any of you were wondering how loud an NA is with nothing but a header - it is about 100x louder than anything you've ever heard before. I had some serious earplugs in, and when it fired I was shocked (shocked). Sh!t fell off my shelving units, the tools that were living under the car were blown backwards to the rear wall of the garage and our neighbor's car alarm (100' from my house) went off.

I still can't get over how loud the thing was. I got one initial "pop" from the exhaust after I got it dead timed correctly and I panicked because I thought it was a backfire. It wasn't. It was just one rotor finally coughing to life. When both of them fired on all chambers it was how I imagine six fully automatic 12-gauge shotguns being fired in a concrete chamber would sound.[/quote]

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="Positron"]
yep.. been there, done that.. 1:30 am with open headers.. nothing quite like lighting off a new motor..  ;D[/quote]

On one of my other boards, a guy is building a dedicated 1990 Mazda GTUs track car, and as one of the steps he completely tore down the rotary engine and rebuilt it. When he started it up, he was quite surprised:

[quote="Other message board"]In case any of you were wondering how loud an NA is with nothing but a header - it is about 100x louder than anything you've ever heard before. I had some serious earplugs in, and when it fired I was shocked (shocked). Sh!t fell off my shelving units, the tools that were living under the car were blown backwards to the rear wall of the garage and our neighbor's car alarm (100' from my house) went off.

I still can't get over how loud the thing was. I got one initial "pop" from the exhaust after I got it dead timed correctly and I panicked because I thought it was a backfire. It wasn't. It was just one rotor finally coughing to life. When both of them fired on all chambers it was how I imagine six fully automatic 12-gauge shotguns being fired in a concrete chamber would sound.[/quote]
[/quote]

When I did the engine swap on my car I tried turning it over without the exhaust fitted just to check the electrical connections, being the first time I had cranked the engine I did not expect it to start within 0.000001S of pressing the starter.  It did and it was LOUD.

positron

Post by positron » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:45 pm

[quote="benyeats"]

When I did the engine swap on my car I tried turning it over without the exhaust fitted just to check the electrical connections, being the first time I had cranked the engine I did not expect it to start within 0.000001S of pressing the starter.  It did and it was LOUD.
[/quote]

Hah! They always seem to do that when you'd rather they'd not!

Rotary's are just painfully loud on their own accord.. hard to beat the sound of a uncorked Chevy 454.. ;D especially with the extra adrenaline of ripping around checking for leaks and watching for new "holes." But mostly the satisfaction of a job well done..

//tj on

This should be mandatory reading for any gear/petrol head. Shop Class as Soulcraft

tj off//

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:29 am

Tommy Ivo's 4 engined drag car came by when i was in shop class in High School. You think one uncorked big block is loud, try 4 with nothing but zoomies on them. Of course Eddie Hill could just say it's normal, as his fire breathing monsters were 3 feet in front of him. :)

dave@ddmworks

Post by dave@ddmworks » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Hey there,

There are some modifications needed to do the TVS install on the Atom, we put together some instructions for the TVS install here:

http://ddmworks.com/top_secret_stuff/ar ... lation.PDF

Hope they help,
Dave
Last edited by dave@ddmworks on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.