Check Fuel Tank Gaskets - Some deteriorate

DarthChicken

Re: Check Fuel Tank Gaskets - Some deteriorate

Post by DarthChicken » Tue May 05, 2009 4:03 am

McMastercar is starting to look good (to cut our own).  I'm not finding anything online, anybody else?

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Tue May 05, 2009 4:24 am

There are several sealant type gasket materials in tube form that will do this! It may not be sold in the form of an automotive product, but there's a whole industrial world out there that uses petroleum and solvent proof sealants all day long.

I sealed mine with an industrial sealer and I have had zero problems and it is holding up like the day I applied it! This is on the pump side. The filler pipe on mine has a welded pipe section where the filler hose seals by way of a hose clamp. (As do all UK Atoms AFAIK)

positron

Post by positron » Tue May 05, 2009 5:06 am

Problem is that you have identified the problem and you are only cleaning up the mess but haven't resolved the problem of having gasket bits unaccounted for.

There are two filter socks in the fuel pump bucket which are most likely plugged/fouled causing your fuel starvation issues. To get to it the driver's side must be pulled which involves more cursing. ..oh and the obligatory fuel filter change.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:28 am

[quote="Positron"]
Problem is that you have identified the problem and you are only cleaning up the mess but haven't resolved the problem of having gasket bits unaccounted for.

There are two filter socks in the fuel pump bucket which are most likely plugged/fouled causing your fuel starvation issues. To get to it the driver's side must be pulled which involves more cursing. ..oh and the obligatory fuel filter change.
[/quote]
I'm about to tackle the fuel pump area tomorrow. Was the fuel pump gasket deteriorated like the fuel filler one?
Do I have to get new filter socks or can the the old ones be cleaned?
Do you have a part number for the fuel socks and where I can get them?
cheers

positron

Post by positron » Tue May 05, 2009 11:57 am

The fuel pump side seemed to be ok, my guess is that it's either a GM part or there is a smaller area for fuel to get up into, but I changed anyway.

I found a suitable pump sock from my local NAPA dealer, I was not able to find one for the exterior bucket sock and cleaned it the best I could. I'm out of town but I think Bolus posted a link from one of the fuel pump vendors that had an assortment of socks, but you'll need to find one local if your going to make your event. The pump is a exterior filter so you may be able to clean the bucket is an interior filter so it's a little more problematic.

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Tue May 05, 2009 3:58 pm

I would like to see pics of the areas that are being discusssed. For those that are doing the tear down and repair this will be quite important and helpful for all us other Eco. owners.
Since my local Atom repair facility has moved.....

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Here is the diagram of the tank.  The fuel pump is in red and the filter socks are in blue.  You would need to remove the pump assemby to change the socks.  Hopefully the inner sock is fine because you have to disassemble the whole assembly to get to it.  But as you can see, the pump assembly is as tall as the entire tank so it is a pain to remove. 

If it is not nice this weekend, I'll take pics of me checking my filler gasket

edit: I just realized it is already labeled by brammo. im a dumbass
Attachments
fuel_tank.JPG
fuel_tank.JPG (44.87 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Last edited by bolus on Tue May 05, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 pm

fuel pump assembly out of the car

Here are what the socks look like
Attachments
pickup_filters.jpg
pickup_filters.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 344 times

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 05, 2009 4:22 pm

and....how hard is it to get the fuel pump out of the car?  is there a lot of stuff you have to remove first, or just tight quarters?

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 05, 2009 4:27 pm

It took my about 2 hours with lots of cursing and I had the engine out and was sitting in the engine bay.  Yeah, I never want to do that again...  It was forced through a slightly too small hole.  Since it is spring loaded it was like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

Ideally, you will have to drill out the rivets and remove the seat and firewall and do it that way.... or remove the engine.... or remove the whole tank. 

But just think of the thoroguh cleaning you could do.  ;D

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue May 05, 2009 4:33 pm

The question is.....is the fuel pump gasket made out of guck like the filler gasket?

If it is just the filler gasket,and you catch it before it turns into mush,you may be able to leave the sender alone.

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 05, 2009 4:37 pm

that IS the question :D

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue May 05, 2009 4:52 pm

Update-

Sorry I haven't answered your qustions in a timely manner, but I've been moving into my brand new dream house/garage- and I've been VERY occupied with that!

Source for Viton-- just about any auto parts store should have sheets in stock.
Hard to make?  No, but gasket circle cutters and hole cutters do a neater looking job than scissors. ;)
I'd advise checking the fuel filler-to-tank gasket first- it is MUCH easier to get to!
Fuel I used- Just any available 93 octane- Shell, or whatever is available. No additive.
My car is #72.
The fuel pump socks were just cleaned, not replaced. Be careful, don't break the plastic/composite, but it can be disassembled and cleaned satisfactorily.
The firewall/bulkhead between the engine and seats needs to be removed-for access to the fuel pump- by drilling out the rivets-(be careful!!). On mine the firewall was reinstalled by tapping the frame holes for buttonhead aircraft-style screws. It looks really good this way, and will make the next removal easy.  :tu:

Eddie :)

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Tue May 05, 2009 5:02 pm

[quote="FourFather"]
Update-

Sorry I haven't answered your qustions in a timely manner, but I've been moving into my brand new dream house/garage- and I've been VERY occupied with that!

Source for Viton-- just about any auto parts store should have sheets in stock.
Hard to make?  No, but gasket circle cutters and hole cutters do a neater looking job than scissors. ;)
I'd advise checking the fuel filler-to-tank gasket first- it is MUCH easier to get to!
Fuel I used- Just any available 93 octane- Shell, or whatever is available. No additive.
My car is #72.
The fuel pump socks were just cleaned, not replaced. Be careful, don't break the plastic/composite, but it can be disassembled and cleaned satisfactorily.
The firewall/bulkhead between the engine and seats needs to be removed-for access to the fuel pump- by drilling out the rivets-(be careful!!). On mine the firewall was reinstalled by tapping the frame holes for buttonhead aircraft-style screws. It looks really good this way, and will make the next removal easy.  :tu:

Eddie :)
[/quote]
Eddie, I have one more question before I go and tackle the fuel pump gasket.
Were you able to drill out the rivets and remove the bulkhead panel without taking out the seats?
What size of buttonhead screws did you use?
If yes. what drill did you use to fit the tight space?
If not, how do you remove the individual seats. Looks like it's not very easy.
cheers
Last edited by maverick1 on Tue May 05, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue May 05, 2009 6:25 pm

So,it is possible this is limited to the filler gasket,(sourced by Brammo) and if corrected before deterioration,would save having to pull the sender to clean out the debris. ;D

Thanks for the update,Eddie,and please lets see some pics of the dream house/garage. (especially the garage... ;))