replacement steering bushing - anybody interested?

DarthChicken

Re: replacement steering bushing - anybody interested?

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:17 pm

I have no idea if the UK version is the same or not.  I'd suggest measuring your car, and seeing if what I've measured makes sense.

Added NormLarson to the list

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:29 pm

Darth, do you have any idea as to the cost? I don't mean $42 vs $45. Is this something that could be a lot or would $0-60 probably buy one of these?

silver

Post by silver » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:47 pm

Rf...I know you aren't asking me....but I'm reading your question and I don't understand....You're not asking about the 48ea if 10 purchased versus 40 ea if 15 purchased...versus the over$200 if only 1 is purchased, right, so what are you asking about?  Sorry I just want to understand the question so that I can understand the answer when Darth gives it.

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:11 pm

i'm in.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:41 pm

With Patentshark joining, we are at the 15 piece price, so that puts us at the $40 mark.  And.. of course... I reprice today, and its $44 at the 15 piece price.  Whatever.  I'm sure it will change daily, the program DOES say that is possible.  Maybe I'll order on a low cost day, LOL.

I'm also adding one groove (at zero cost btw so there's no reason not to do it) to the piece - its centered along the piece, 2mm deep, and 45mm long.  The idea is to have support at each end, and no support in the middle to reduce possible drag.

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:17 am

[quote="bolus"]
he is using www.emachineshop.com  They have a fun little cad program you can download and make your own custom parts out of almost anything (can you say mahogany shift knob?)
[/quote]

Is one being made first to verify the actual fit/feel?  Or will all be ordered at the same time based on measurements only?  That might be a bit risky.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:31 am

They all have to be done at the same time.  If it was just ordering one, I would have just done it.  I don't see too much risk though, this is pretty basic stuff.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:07 am

Couldn't it be done out of Delrin? Isn't that a suitable material, yet in keeping with the Atom's light weight philosophy?

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene :
"Delrin's resistance to liquids and low coefficient of friction have also made it useful as a bearing-replacement in casters and wheels, to be selected in cases where corrosive environments make a traditional roller or ball bearing impractical."

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:19 am

There are all sorts of materials listed in the emachineshop program that are listed as "bushing" or "bearing" compatable.

delrin
bronze
fluoroplymer PTFE (Teflon)
cast iron
ductile iron
nylon
nylon OILON
polyethylene (ultra-high molecular weight... nuclear plastic  ???)
stainless steel 410
stainless steel 430c

Delrin is $14.87 each right now at the 15 piece price that we are currently at (so 1/3rd the price).  But its also 7 times weaker than Bronze at shear strength (7.6ksi vs. 52.2ksi), and 3 times weaker in Tensile strength.  Is that an issue for this type of part... probably not.  But I REALLY just want something completely bullet proof for this, its a little disturbing having your steering wheel move around on you.

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:05 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
They all have to be done at the same time.  If it was just ordering one, I would have just done it.  I don't see too much risk though, this is pretty basic stuff.
[/quote]

Only reason I ask is that one person's micrometer measurement may not quite match another's...

Alright, count me in.  It is an irritation that needs to be taken care of.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:05 am

I completely and totally agree.  I've measured everything a number of times... but PLEASE... somebody this weekend, check your car.  And while you're taking your car apart, please be as disgusted as I was finding all the rust that I did  :-[

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:10 am

[quote="Lane"]

Only reason I ask is that one person's micrometer measurement may not quite match another's...

[/quote]

Actually, I meant to say that the micrometer of the person measuring the car may not quite have the same degree of accuracy as that of the shop that will be producing the parts.

GPM30236

Post by GPM30236 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:25 am

count me in 4 one

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:48 am

The OD of the bushing is not that critical as you can hand hone it to fit into your cars tube.The bushing just press fits lightly into this section.
The ID fit can also be altered if need be by finish honing the steering column shaft,which has a weld on the end and had to be dressed up a bit on my car.
We are not talking rocket science here folks.
Go with bronze.
Forget about Delrin,as it is just a fancy plastic and compresses over time and will be sloppy once again.Most of the newer Atom2's have Delrin already, as Brammo updated to the better bushings around chassis #50.
That is what I was told by Brammo when they sent me replacement Delrin bushings for my car,which I deemed inadequate and had the first bronze one made.
Keep it simple      ;D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Added GPM30236  to the list

I'm going to make this slightly oversize in every dimension I think.  Like a couple thou.. nothing huge.  So you may have to lightly sand the outside, and possibly the shaft itself a little.  And actually... my steering shaft has some rust on it, so sanding it isn't gonna hurt anything, and I'd be surprised if most of the rest of you don't have the same thing going.

Outer tube will be 1.117"... actual measurement I came up with is 1.115
Inner race will be .748".  Actual measurement was .750

Current bushing measurement

1.113 outer
.756 inner

Yes, there is .006-.008 play on the inner bushing.  Doesn't seem like much until you hold the parts in your hand and you can rock them on the shaft.  The bearing surface is just a point on the outer as well, so the whole thing rocks along the length.  Another reason to go with bronze, all it takes is a little play and the whole thing feels like its gonna fall off the car.