Harrop HTV1320 Swap on LSJ

MadMaxedAtom

Re: Harrop HTV1320 Swap on LSJ

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:55 pm

300whp. Not available...yet. Looks like a twin screw design.  Is the crappy LSJ intake/heat exchanger addressed?  I heard the air passages around the coolant tubes are pretty restrictive.

The new Cobalt SS 2.0 turbo makes 260/260 bone stock. Not bad. Might buy the ole lady one as they are reasonably priced new  and it would be a fun beater to borrow.

When I disect my Atom,(probably next fall...)I will want 400whp./6speed Quaife  once back together :tu:    Turbo. :tu:

Thanks for the imfo ;)

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:54 pm

I've been watching that thread myself to see how things come out.

One big question is will it even fit.  The measurements I've found on the Eaton site are not very helpful.  It is larger in all dimensions, but where is it larger.  The installation of the Ecotec in the Atom has a bit of space around the supercharger housing, but the intake area has a sensor mount that is already very close to one of the chassis bars.  It's possible that this larger unit would then have an interference issue at that exact position.  Perhaps when it is closer to general availability they will publish some engineering drawings that will help make the call. 

Some have indicated significantly lower intake temperatures with the TVS design so perhaps the existing intercooler would be ok if you don't dial it up to 11. 

Watching from the wings,

Sagen

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:57 pm

It would be nice to have a bolt on option that would give an honest 300whp. without major mods. :tu:

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Thanks to Harrop, here are some comparison drawings that show how the HTV1320 compares in size to the M62 that came with our Atoms.  On the technical drawing it appears to indicate that the 1320 sensor mount position is 2.3mm taller than the m62's.  From inspection of my car, I'm not certain that once you add the stock sensor you will not be hitting the shoulder beam of the chassis.  Perhaps there is a low profile sensor available to give some clearance?  There might be some other point of interference that I haven't foreseen since the front intake area is quite crowded now on my machine.  Regardless, I thought I would throw these up here for others to review and offer their opinions.  From what I have seen, these superchargers appear to be available for May or June delivery now.

Side/Front view:
[img width=800 height=242]http://home.avvanta.com/~dwright/side1320M62.jpg[/img]

For additional reference:
[img width=800 height=308]http://home.avvanta.com/~dwright/top1320M62.jpg[/img]

Technical Drawing:
http://home.avvanta.com/~dwright/lsj_htv1320-m62.pdf

Enjoy,

Sagen

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:51 pm

I was thinking that sensor would make the fit too tight too

[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/superc ... space2.jpg[/img]
Last edited by bolus on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:35 pm

It may be possible to use a 90 degree fitting and relocate the sensor.

Nice find on the super-imposed drawing. :tu:

I still feel the performance benefits over the Eaton are not great enough to justify the expense.

If you are going to spend $3k(it will be more by the time you are done...) ,might as well go turbo IMHO.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 pm

I can see the appeal though.  bolt on, no exhaust to mess with, shorter wait to get driving again  ::) ::) ::) , etc  but if this thing is really going to push 300 WHP then you have to think about upgrading internals anyway and then there is no reason to not go turbo if you are pulling the engine out