Question about 160 honda engine

Shinigami

Question about 160 honda engine

Post by Shinigami » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:35 am

I was asking Tom a few questions about the Atom engines in regards to being EURO 3 or 4 compliant, and he mentioned this in regards to the 220-300 engine:

"The car has the Japanese (JDM) model engine. It also has a different fuel tank, exhaust, intake system and has no OBD2 connector. I believe these factors added together mean that the car isnâ??t EURO 3 or 4 compliant."

Ok, I didn't know this about the engine itself, but I did know about the fuel tank, exhaust, intake and so on being custom... I then asked him about the 160 engine, and he said:

"The 160 uses the Civic Type S (5 door 2 litre) engine. We donâ??t use the Honda ECU on this engine though."

So in other words, does this mean that the engine is a euro engine, and could potentially be EURO 4 compliant? And in regards to the ECU, is it a Hondata or some other "custom" one?

Monza

Re: Question about 160 honda engine

Post by Monza » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:33 pm

Am Atom 160 has a MBE ECU.
The Atoms, whatever the model, are not Euro 3 or Euro 4, why ? because these norms are not depending only of the engine itself, but of all the peripherical parts, as Tom says. So these engines are Euro 4 in a Civic but not in an Atom.
If you consider only the exhaust emission test done by SVA or in France during "controle technique" , the 245 and 300 are conformed with no difficulties to last exigences. I suppose the 160 will be to. The Honda engines are very good for these tests, so even with a less sophisticated MBE ECU, it'll be Ok. My first Atom 220 was Ok for this test to, but the results with Hondata are better.
Hope it helps.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

KK

Post by KK » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:33 pm

What about the OBD connector. I am not sure whether that's realted to Euro 3 / 4 norms (which I perceive to just define the exhaust emmission levels), but an OBD connectior might still be required for registering the car.

Anybody an idea whether the current Honda engines (220-300) do have an OBD connector?

Shinigami

Post by Shinigami » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:26 pm

Ok, so you're saying the 220 and higher powered engines are also in European cars (i.e. the Civic), but for them to be Euro4 in those cars, it has to have the stuff mentioned by Tom?

I'm still not quite sure what kind of vehicle I'll be able to import to Switzerland due to the extremely strict rules in place over here. If the emissions tests are not ungodly, then it might be ok, but they're really looking for Euro 4 certification, so it really places a damper on things (not to mentiont the fact that they want a proper windshield on it as well... but why? I mean, wear a helmet, right? argh)

Monza

Post by Monza » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:15 pm

There is no OBD connector on the UK Atoms
The Atoms are not Euro 4.
The Atoms with Hondata ECU can pass the exhaust emission test which is only a small part of the Euro 4.
A Honda Civic with the Atom 160 or 220/245 engines (with Honda ECU) are Euro 4.
It'll not be possible for you to respect all the Euro 4 requirements with an Atom (read the norm ..).
Hope it's clear.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Scottsman

Post by Scottsman » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 pm

[quote="Shinigami"]
I'm still not quite sure what kind of vehicle I'll be able to import to Switzerland due to the extremely strict rules in place over here. [/quote]

Have you been in contact with Swissatom?

Alastair.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:54 pm

Why don't UK Ariel just put a OBDII connector on it and be done with it? Just a little extra wiring (assuming the ECM's support it).  Seems like a step in the right direction.

Of course then you have to worry about the codes it throws, the lack of the CE light.. sound familiar? ;)

KK

Post by KK » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:15 pm

[quote="Driver"]
Why don't UK Ariel just put a OBDII connector on it and be done with it? Just a little extra wiring (assuming the ECM's support it).  Seems like a step in the right direction.

Of course then you have to worry about the codes it throws, the lack of the CE light.. sound familiar? ;)
[/quote]

To me that would sound like a good idea - provided that the ECM supports it. Anybody can confirm the support / non support of the ECM ?
I assume the lack of the CE light you refer to would be a light in the dashboard that indicates a severe error condition?

What about the US Atoms with the Honda drivetrain. Do they have an ODBC connector? Any US Honda owner able to confirm?

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:43 am

From what I've heard, don't quote me, all Brammos have OBD2 plugs on them. The EcoTec throws a CE code because it doesn't see a light there and a few others. Supposedly they are narrowing down whats going on just so if one did need to smog it there wouldn't be misc codes being thrown. at least that's the impression I have..

KK

Post by KK » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:01 pm

[quote="Driver"]
From what I've heard, don't quote me, all Brammos have OBD2 plugs on them. The EcoTec throws a CE code because it doesn't see a light there and a few others. Supposedly they are narrowing down whats going on just so if one did need to smog it there wouldn't be misc codes being thrown. at least that's the impression I have..
[/quote]

Driver - so you say all Brammos as opposed to all Ecotecs? This includes the Honda engined Brammos as well, right?

Upon an eMail enquiry with Crewkerne I have had a reply back from the UK factory today (Tom) confirming that the UK Hondas do not have an ODB connector and "it would be very time consuming and costly to fit one". On the upside it would confirm that it is possible to do it, but on the down side probably to expensive to justify it. May be an idea for the Brammo guys to re-export something back to the UK then?

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:11 pm

I was under that impression, but again, please check with Brammo if it's critical to your needs. Don't take my word for it, go straight to the Man himself. Email Brammo. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. :) I've emailed them to see about a clarification.

KK

ODB connector

Post by KK » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:59 pm

Following up on Driver's initiative to eMail Brammo (again many thanks here as well) I have cross-posted a question about the OBD connector to another thread located under "American Atoms" named "HEAR YEE - US - Honda K20A2 FANS !!!" where there might be a chance to get some answers from current US Honda owners. Here is a link: http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,1461.0.html