Cleaning plastics

Szabo

Cleaning plastics

Post by Szabo » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:15 am

Hi, what is everyone using to clean and finish the black plastics on their atoms, I’ve tried a variety of products and none seam to appeal. Some products are extremely glossy and some lack lustre or are fly and dust magnets.

Your comments are most appreciated.

PhilM

Re: Cleaning plastics

Post by PhilM » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:03 pm

You might find this video from Chemical guys quite useful https://youtu.be/6RA7ARJb0qw

MDifficult

Post by MDifficult » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:31 pm

I always used Gtechniq C4 on my car plastics - tried it on the Atom plastics and it worked a treat. Brings back the natural colour, undoes UV damage, beads beautifully and lasts for years. Less is more when applying.

Szabo

Post by Szabo » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:05 pm

Great video and I think previously some of the products I’ve used were not for Matt finish. I’ve not tried the Gtechniq C4 but sure will now, does that leave a Matt finish.
The other product a friend has just advised is Carpro Perl, has anyone tried this?

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:48 pm

I believe that Ariel suggest using Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte, which aligns with the video I sent above, so I just went for that, it seems to work well.

MDifficult

Post by MDifficult » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:39 pm

Szabo wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:05 pm Great video and I think previously some of the products I’ve used were not for Matt finish. I’ve not tried the Gtechniq C4 but sure will now, does that leave a Matt finish.
The other product a friend has just advised is Carpro Perl, has anyone tried this?
Definitely not gloss! How matt it goes very much depends on the original plastic as it basically returns it to 'as new'.

The Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte is a shampoo and detailer kit. I'm sure it works well but the effects won't last long.

The Gtechnic C4 is a nano coating (tiny bottle, applied carefully, bonds to the plastic) so it goes on once you've cleaned the plastics and restores and protects them. On cars that live outside, it lasts 12-24 months. On cars that live inside... probably forever :laugh:

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:03 pm

There is 2 products I know of that come highly recommended in different circles first in Plexus which is used in aviation particularly for the clear canopies but can also be used on coloured plastics and Silkolene pro prep which the biker fraternity swear by