Polishing exhaust

Charlie

Re: Polishing exhaust

Post by Charlie » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:06 am

Atlarge wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:15 pm Good work, looks nice! - how long did it take you?

Thanks I think it would look even better in sunlight and I am sure I could get it better as I probably spent less than an hour on it all in and just done it by hand even though I have a machine polisher as it gets cloths really dirty and goes through them like nobody’s business and didn’t want to ruin my bodywork polishing pads.

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:39 am

A bit of a follow up on this which may be of help, polish factory exhaust:

Here's the kit I used - of course use what you want, its just polishing stainless, pretty simple to do with a bit of time, I left wire wool out you know what it is :)

I did a test section of (left to right) Metal Polish alone, 0000 Wire wool following by metal polish, 0000 Wire Wool -

clear to see that a wire wool followed by proper polish will work best

So went 000 Wire wool, 0000 Wire wool, then peek machine polished - feedback on lots of other polishes which may help (these are my opinions, I'm just one detailing nerd)

Peek - good cutting and for taking out defects, although creates quite a light finish without that final pop - works by hand and machine

Megs NXT - reasonable cut, creates a far deeper finish with a good level of protection - works by hand and machine

White Diamond - proper bling, but doesn't remove defects well, protection limited, pretty much useless by hand

Properly polished after wire wool, peek, white diamond then topped with Megs NXT - the megs will darken the finish and take away that slightly chrome look the White Diamond does but does offer better protection that helps prevent tarnishing

Both exhausts polished - sports was factory brushed, quiet was previously polished but heat tarnished - both also coated in Gyeon Rim to see how it handles the heat as an experiment (suspect not well but worth trying)

Cutting pads I just used a generic set off amazon (foam and MF) as they are destroyed by metal polishing

Also previous owner scratched both exhausts fitting and removing, so defects removed but above it I now have a foam strip to prevent me repeating when swapping them, worth mentioned for those that swap them in and out regularly

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:46 pm

mynamesnotbob wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:39 am A bit of a follow up on this which may be of help, polish factory exhaust:

Here's the kit I used - of course use what you want, its just polishing stainless, pretty simple to do with a bit of time, I left wire wool out you know what it is :)

I did a test section of (left to right) Metal Polish alone, 0000 Wire wool following by metal polish, 0000 Wire Wool -

clear to see that a wire wool followed by proper polish will work best

So went 000 Wire wool, 0000 Wire wool, then peek machine polished - feedback on lots of other polishes which may help (these are my opinions, I'm just one detailing nerd)

Peek - good cutting and for taking out defects, although creates quite a light finish without that final pop - works by hand and machine

Megs NXT - reasonable cut, creates a far deeper finish with a good level of protection - works by hand and machine

White Diamond - proper bling, but doesn't remove defects well, protection limited, pretty much useless by hand

Properly polished after wire wool, peek, white diamond then topped with Megs NXT - the megs will darken the finish and take away that slightly chrome look the White Diamond does but does offer better protection that helps prevent tarnishing

Both exhausts polished - sports was factory brushed, quiet was previously polished but heat tarnished - both also coated in Gyeon Rim to see how it handles the heat as an experiment (suspect not well but worth trying)

Cutting pads I just used a generic set off amazon (foam and MF) as they are destroyed by metal polishing

Also previous owner scratched both exhausts fitting and removing, so defects removed but above it I now have a foam strip to prevent me repeating when swapping them, worth mentioned for those that swap them in and out regularly

Some good tips there thanks didn’t realise steel wool and metal polish could do so much and apparently can be used on cloudy headlights too.