AA3SC - gear engagement ?!

Atlarge

AA3SC - gear engagement ?!

Post by Atlarge » Fri May 29, 2020 8:41 am

Hi,

I’ve been putting my first post COVID lockdown miles on my atom3 300 and have noticed something I’m a bit concerned about........

When the car is idling and I fully depress the clutch the car moves slightly as 1st gear is engaged. There are no strange noises or grinding but there does feel like there is a bit of resistance going from neutral to 1st - is this usual or can anyone shed any light on what I could / should look at?

Any tips or pointers greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: AA3SC - gear engagement ?!

Post by John Scherrer » Fri May 29, 2020 5:23 pm

It can only be one thing - the clutch isn't clearing 100%

Could be air in the clutch hydraulic lines (needs bleeding) or failing seals in the clutch master and/or slave cylinders.
Less unlikely but possible - a problem due to wear with the actual clutch release mechanism/bearing.

This can lead to wearing out the clutch lining and overheating, so you're correct to investigate ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Atlarge

Re: AA3SC - gear engagement ?!

Post by Atlarge » Fri May 29, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks for the info John, I hope it’s just down to a bit of air in the system and not something more serious! I bought the car from Ariel (2nd hand but fairly recently) so I would hope it’s nothing on the way out with the bearing or clutch mech. I’ll do some poking around or I’ll have to find someone locally that can investigate further.

Cheers!