Coolant leakage, hose to radiator

K20A2

Coolant leakage, hose to radiator

Post by K20A2 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Hello,
I recently found a coolant spot under my Atom and now hopefully located the leakage. Not sure, why this happened though...
Hose 1.JPG
Hose 1.JPG (83.9 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
Hose 2.JPG
Hose 2.JPG (59.12 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
Hose 3.JPG
Hose 3.JPG (131.64 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
It is at the top of the big house going to the radiator at the front. The pictures were taken from the left side.

Could perhaps somebody comment on the distance between the 2 hoses on the last picture. Is it ok or should they be closer to each other?
If ok I would probably try to solve the leakage by adding a further hose clamp at the top of the hose.

If not ok the best would probably be to remove all the cable ties of the gearbox bowdencables etc. to be able to move the hose and perhaps have a closer look.
Unfortunately this hose seems to be veeeery unflexible and it is hardly possible to get my hands in there.

Any help and comments are very welcome :)

Many thanks

K20A2

Re: Coolant leakage, hose to radiator

Post by K20A2 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:42 pm

I could tighten the screw of the hose clamp, which indeed was much easier than I thought at the first look in the dark garage.

However I could not tighten the screw a lot and there does not seem to be a big tolerance between leaking and damaging the hose clamp.
So it leaves me with a kind of bad feeling keeping this in mind during the next tours.

On the other side at the waterpump the hose of the same size is a silicone one.
Has this perhaps already been replaced or what would be the reason for the different hose materials?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 pm

This seems to be a common problem at winter time or after a cold spell - check out this link which discusses the issue ..

The story starts from Tues Dec 13th ..

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16631&hilit=coolant ... 15#p283133
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:36 pm

For what is worth, I had a coolant pipe leak (bottom of radiator) after about 3 months of owning mine (which would have been Autumn 2018 - as the temperatures were dropping after a mad summer). I panicked.

As a 'temporary measure', I tightened the jubilee clip and was ready to declare an emergency, but it has held up ever since.

I can't help on the different pipe material question, but I'd just tighten it a bit and 'see how it goes'.

Carry a screwdriver with you just in case (I do), but I wouldn't worry too much at this point [mention]K20A2[/mention]

Of course, a flooded garage floor is a different matter ;-)

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:22 am

Thanks John and Karl.
I also now remember the old link.
I guess it was about 0.2 liter went out during or after 2 very short drives only to change parking place.
Indeed this must not happen anywhere else...