Retrofitting spec

Zumbruk

Retrofitting spec

Post by Zumbruk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:50 pm

I'm thinking about treating myself to an Atom 3 in the next year or so.  I can't run to a new one, so I have a couple of questions about changing spec if I buy a second hand one, or hanging on for the specific spec I want;

- Can the windscreen be retrofitted to a non-windscreen car? (Please, no remarks about not having the 'screen. I've ridden in cars both with and without, and believe me, I want a screen. And as it happens, I think they look better with a screen, but doubtless that is an ecumenical matter.)

- Can the side panels be fitted to a non-side-panel car? (Not so sure about these. I've never ridden in a car with them, so not as convinced as with the windscreen.)

- Will a Tillett B6XL seat fit? I definitely cannot fit into the factory fit Tilletts, and I find the factory standard seats both ugly and uncomfortable.

speedmachine

Re: Retrofitting spec

Post by speedmachine » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:53 pm

why on earth would you want a windscreen?!  :roflp:

Yes they can be retrofitted
The side panels can too on most atoms, but there is an option to not have the eyes on the chassis, so watch for them if you are interested in a car

The XL won't fit, the only fit from Tillet is very tight, i believe the regular B6.
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 pm

[quote="Zumbruk"]
I'm thinking about treating myself to an Atom 3 in the next year or so.  I can't run to a new one, so I have a couple of questions about changing spec if I buy a second hand one, or hanging on for the specific spec I want;

- Can the windscreen be retrofitted to a non-windscreen car? (Please, no remarks about not having the 'screen. I've ridden in cars both with and without, and believe me, I want a screen. And as it happens, I think they look better with a screen, but doubtless that is an ecumenical matter.)

- Can the side panels be fitted to a non-side-panel car? (Not so sure about these. I've never ridden in a car with them, so not as convinced as with the windscreen.)

- Will a Tillett B6XL seat fit? I definitely cannot fit into the factory fit Tilletts, and I find the factory standard seats both ugly and uncomfortable.
[/quote]

The earlier Atom 3 bonnet is not windscreen compatible iirc, not a big deal but you may or may not have to buy a new bonnet with your windscreen kit depending on the age of car.

As Speedmachine says side panel lugs can be omitted from the frame, fairly obvious to spot when they are present.

As for looking better with a windscreen and individual seats are you sure you should be driving at all with such poor eyesight ;)

Cheers

Ben

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:55 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Zumbruk"]

[/quote]

The earlier Atom 3 bonnet is not windscreen compatible iirc, not a big deal but you may or may not have to buy a new bonnet with your windscreen kit depending on the age of car.

As Speedmachine says side panel lugs can be omitted from the frame, fairly obvious to spot when they are present.

As for looking better with a windscreen and individual seats are you sure you should be driving at all with such poor eyesight ;)

Cheers

Ben
[/quote]

He won't be using the gunsights until he's been to Specsavers....

It was always coming Zumbruk!  ;D
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:09 am

Seats is all about the way they are fitted - factory have a system for the B6 small jobbies - I know folk who have spent a lot getting their own custom systems created but not so far for the XL which I was interested in as well - spoke with Steve Tillet etc etc

The problems amongst many are accommodating the rake with the limited space caused by the angle of the engine bay and the impact of raising the seat to employ a fitting system - many feel you end up sitting too high with increased wind effect etc etc even in the skinny arse version

If you solve this you'll be popular and I'm sure a few will want to copy you - me included

Speak to the factory and you will learn about their current seat projects - after the 10 year lights saga improved seats is the "new" 10 year saga ;-)

Zumbruk

Post by Zumbruk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 pm

[quote="FlyingTrotter"]
Seats is all about the way they are fitted - factory have a system for the B6 small jobbies - I know folk who have spent a lot getting their own custom systems created but not so far for the XL which I was interested in as well - spoke with Steve Tillet etc etc

The problems amongst many are accommodating the rake with the limited space caused by the angle of the engine bay and the impact of raising the seat to employ a fitting system - many feel you end up sitting too high with increased wind effect etc etc even in the skinny arse version

If you solve this you'll be popular and I'm sure a few will want to copy you - me included

Speak to the factory and you will learn about their current seat projects - after the 10 year lights saga improved seats is the "new" 10 year saga ;-)
[/quote]

Thanks. It took me 5 or 6 years to sort out the driver's seat on my TVR, and I'm still not entirely happy with it, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

alanoo

Post by alanoo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:38 pm

I think the factory tilletts are B4's and not B6's ;)
They are slightly larger than the B6 and the angle is completely different