6th gear cruising speed and RPM and fuel economy.

meladdo

6th gear cruising speed and RPM and fuel economy.

Post by meladdo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Just another curious question

Standard 3 245 or 300 model with 15 inch wheels or 16's what is the engine rpm at motorway speed 70 - 80mph  and what can be achieved from a full tank of fuel (how many gallons is that BTW)

Just asking for those possible longer runs - say to Le Mans  ;D ;D ;D - always wanted to go and what better car to go in hey :tu:

Also what does one do for traveling - roof box  ::) or is it trap everything to the chassis

thanks
Last edited by meladdo on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kezzie

Re: 6th gear cruising speed and RPM and fuel economy.

Post by Kezzie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Okay I'll try and help you along here.
I've a 3 245 and RPM @ 60mph in 6th is around 3,000
I'm generally averaging 32-35mpg so a tank should do around 280 miles although Im not brave enough to try and max it.
The fuel gauge is set up to be be very conservative and will show "Empty" well before you need to consider refueling but, again, I chicken out and try not to pass too many petrol stations.
This year, along with a few others, I did the Le Mans trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.
There isn't anywhere to afix a "roof box" so what ever you can stow or strap to the car is what you take. I had an empty passenger seat so fitted all my luggage in there but others had rucksacks strapped on the outside of the frame and filled the footwells too (or on the passenger's lap).
Best solution is to take a "Support" vehicle which, in the case of the Le Mans trip, was mostly filled with alcohol and the luggage of the factory guys.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Roof Box was with a firm tongue in Cheek BTW -  :tu:

Thanks for reply..........

Steve050567

Post by Steve050567 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:35 pm

[quote="Kezzie"]
Okay I'll try and help you along here.
I've a 3 245 and RPM @ 60mph in 6th is around 3,000
I'm generally averaging 32-35mpg so a tank should do around 280 miles although Im not brave enough to try and max it.
The fuel gauge is set up to be be very conservative and will show "Empty" well before you need to consider refueling but, again, I chicken out and try not to pass too many petrol stations.
This year, along with a few others, I did the Le Mans trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.
There isn't anywhere to afix a "roof box" so what ever you can stow or strap to the car is what you take. I had an empty passenger seat so fitted all my luggage in there but others had rucksacks strapped on the outside of the frame and filled the footwells too (or on the passenger's lap).
Best solution is to take a "Support" vehicle which, in the case of the Le Mans trip, was mostly filled with alcohol and the luggage of the factory guys.
[/quote]

I also managed to strap to the underside of the chassis in the footwell, so still had some footspace without legs being up in the air.

I did the journey down to le mans in just over a tank full, but that was a 2 220, the 300's where using considerably more, and we weren't exactly hanging around either.

Great drive though

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:54 pm

Meladdo,

Some guys strap luggage under the dash, some fit it down the side of a passenger's legs, and a few strap it outside of the cockpit, beside the driver or passenger. Whichever way, you gotta travel light. You can also slip thin items under the seats, if you can secure them. Behind the seat even, if you're a short arse and have it bolted forward a few holes.  ;)
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Starting to get it........where there is a will there is a way :tu: and nice to know the car has a reasonable range on a tank of juice.....

Thanks for the replies.........