Fitting an Atom 2 roll bar and the rear tea tray

benyeats

Fitting an Atom 2 roll bar and the rear tea tray

Post by benyeats » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to the problem of it not being possible to fit the bar with tea tray in place ?

I saw Mark was working on a custom tea-tray but have not been able to find the conclusion of his efforts.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Re: Fitting an Atom 2 roll bar and the rear tea tray

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:07 am

Andy Smith did.

His solution involved a hacksaw and some black plastic hitting the deck, I seem to remember...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:26 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Andy Smith did.

His solution involved a hacksaw and some black plastic hitting the deck, I seem to remember...
[/quote]

Yes I remember that but was looking for a neater solution.  I have not experimented yet but suspect that enlarging the holes in tray will weaken it too much along the leading edge so this would need to be re-enforced at the same time.

Ben

skilly

Post by skilly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:32 am

I did take a mould of the original and was going to make another one, with wider holes.

In the end it proved to much for my talent and I took the original tray down to a body shop who widened the holes by adding in a section in-between the holes for the roll bar. Charged me £100 I think.

When I refitted it I realised the tray would still not fit due to the front section of the tea tray still hitting the roll bar an it not being able to sit level. So I chopped out that section (as you can see in the pics) and added a bracing section underneath (you can just make this out in the pics. When sprayed black you could not see it and the fixings unless you were looking for them.

If was to do it again I would have a custom roll bar made that fits the original holes - would probably cost the same in the end and much less hassle..

ETA - With the widened rear tray the Mirally mirrors were just about useless !

PS - sorry about the watermark on the pics - Picasa remembered my settings from another time  - not trying to advertise !
Last edited by skilly on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:15 am

[quote="Mark Allen (Captain Atom)"]
I did take a mould of the original and was going to make another one, with wider holes.

In the end it proved to much for my talent and I took the original tray down to a body shop who widened the holes by adding in a section in-between the holes for the roll bar. Charged me £100 I think.

When I refitted it I realised the tray would still not fit due to the front section of the tea tray still hitting the roll bar an it not being able to sit level. So I chopped out that section (as you can see in the pics) and added a bracing section underneath (you can just make this out in the pics. When sprayed black you could not see it and the fixings unless you were looking for them.

If was to do it again I would have a custom roll bar made that fits the original holes - would probably cost the same in the end and much less hassle..

[/quote]

I may have misunderstood things here (and have not tried to fit the tray yet) but are you saying the problem is the bar does not line up with the existing holes at all ?  I though the problem was clearing the leading edge of the holes only.

I am also investigating changing the roll bar mount so that the bar sits above the airbox hoop, in the present position I can bash my head on the bar if I forget to brace properly before acceleration.  I wonder if raising the bar in this way will let it fit through the standard holes.

I will get in the garage one night this week and see what the options are

Ben

skilly

Post by skilly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:08 am

The roll bar does not fit through the exiting holes on the width. It looks like it should but it definitely doesn't !

I spoke to the factory about it and they confirmed this was the case (wish they had told me before I bought it!)

The problem is the outsude edge of the tea tray hole slopes inwards, this is where it catches.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:16 pm

[quote="Mark Allen (Captain Atom)"]
The roll bar does not fit through the exiting holes on the width. It looks like it should but it definitely doesn't !

I spoke to the factory about it and they confirmed this was the case (wish they had told me before I bought it!)

The problem is the outsude edge of the tea tray hole slopes inwards, this is where it catches.
[/quote]

OK, I will look for a creative hacksaw based fix then!  Will post pics when I have figured something out.

Ben

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Just leave the tray off. 

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:24 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Just leave the tray off. 
[/quote]

That has been the fix so far but I don't like the look or reduced rain protection for the engine without the tray.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Then leave the bar off, you're too tall anyway, right?  :D

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:59 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Then leave the bar off, you're too tall anyway, right?  :D
[/quote]

Good point, can catch the roll with my crash helmet! 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:24 am

So you need a custom one built up then.  Sell the stocker, and have one built to your height needs, and while they are at it, they can route the rear bars through the holes. or better yet someplace else where its not going to interfere with taking the tray off if something happens at a track day.  Or better yet just leave the rear braces off the bar - problem solved.

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:02 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Andy Smith did.

[/quote]

Yes I remember that but was looking for a neater solution.  I have not experimented yet but suspect that enlarging the holes in tray will weaken it too much along the leading edge so this would need to be re-enforced at the same time.
[/quote]

A neater solution than mine - surely not possible!

I guess I could have anodised the reinforcing aluminium strips in black before fitting them...

I