Model History

andyr

Model History

Post by andyr » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 am

Is there a Wiki anywhere that details the model history form the original K-series up to the latest 300?
I am interested when certain features were introduced and which models are supercharged etc?

Alec

Re: Model History

Post by Alec » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:40 pm

There is a Wiki page but it doesn't show a lot of dates like your asking. The info for these pages comes from a variety of unknown sources so you have to take some of it with a pinch of salt I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Atom

I took over as club historian last year and something I'm planning on building up is a Timeline which should give the information you're after.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to get hold of the club's archives yet but when I do, and I've had a chance to look through them and catalogue them, I'll get on to it.  :tu:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

wisp

Post by wisp » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:03 pm

[quote="Alec"]
Unfortunately I haven't managed to get hold of the club's archives yet but when I do, and I've had a chance to look through them and catalogue them, I'll get on to it.  :tu:
[/quote]

Yep. Create a register of cars while you're at it. Also find out exactly how many of each model were made.

And hurry up will you.  :laugh:  ;)  ;)

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:47 pm

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="Alec"]
[/quote]

Yep. Create a register of cars while you're at it. Also find out exactly how many of each model were made.

And hurry up will you.  :laugh:  ;)   ;)
[/quote]

I've already started to compile a register of cars from the limited information owners post on the forum, but most UK owners a very secretive and won't divulge information so it's by no means comprehensive.

As for quantities of each model, the factory will probably be the only one's to know this, but again they don't seem to want to divulge anything.

I'm not sure the AAOC is held in high regard with the factory any way, as we always seem to be the last to hear about any items of news they release.  :-\
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:59 pm

[quote="Alec"]
[/quote]

Good point.  We seem to have been like ships in the night over the last year.  Would prefer to avoid posting it as it is very very heavy.  I am sure we will make on of the same trackdays this season.

Ben

Alec

Post by Alec » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Alec"]
[/quote]

Good point.  We seem to have been like ships in the night over the last year.  Would prefer to avoid posting it as it is very very heavy.  I am sure we will make on of the same trackdays this season.

Ben
[/quote]

If we do meet up at a trackday, I doubt if it will fit into the Atom as I'll have Nadine with me from now on. We'll probably be in the 160 for a while as well, which has less room anyway because of the tub design.

I don't mind sending you the money if you want to send it up by parcel post.  :tu:

I've used these in the past to send a set of Dymags with tyres and they were quite reasonable . . . . http://www.interparcel.com/

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:18 am

[quote="Alec"]
I've already started to compile a register of cars from the limited information owners post on the forum, but most UK owners a very secretive and won't divulge information so it's by no means comprehensive.
[/quote]
Don't put owners names or rego numbers for those that don't want that and there shouldn't be a problem. Chassis number, Model, HP and a status note is enough.

e.g. 12345, Atom2, 220, in a museum in Alaska  or 45678, Atom 3, 245, Liverpool UK.

[quote="Alec"]
As for quantities of each model, the factory will probably be the only one's to know this, but again they don't seem to want to divulge anything.
[/quote]

True. Can't understand that. It's not clever as it suggests something to hide or bad record keeping. Neither are positives for good PR.

[quote="Alec"]
I'm not sure the AAOC is held in high regard with the factory any way, as we always seem to be the last to hear about any items of news they release.  :-\
[/quote]

I think that's more a failure of AAOC than Ariel when it comes to news. I doubt that it's true about Ariel's lack of regard for AAOC. Despite the negative side of forums the plus side of owner support, club events and scorning of replica builders should count for something.
Last edited by wisp on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:28 am

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Alec"]
[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]

If we do meet up at a trackday, I doubt if it will fit into the Atom as I'll have Nadine with me from now on. We'll probably be in the 160 for a while as well, which has less room anyway because of the tub design.

I don't mind sending you the money if you want to send it up by parcel post.  :tu:

I've used these in the past to send a set of Dymags with tyres and they were quite reasonable . . . . http://www.interparcel.com/
[/quote]

It will fit under / behind the seat on the 160 I am certain.  Either way happy to post it, was not not doing so for financial reasons just seemed more appropriate to make a ceremonial handover !

Ben