Help with identifying rubber part

Trigger

Re: Help with identifying rubber part

Post by Trigger » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:52 am

This is freaky - I found eactly the same bit the other day rolling around the car. I assumed it was kicked up from outside but on the basis Richard now has found the same bit it must have come from inside the car !!!!!

Tell me what you find Richard.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Rob McPherson

Post by Rob McPherson » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:03 am

[quote="Mark Allen (Captain Atom)"]
[quote="RichardR"]
Another one here. Found this rolling around the drivers footwell during a drive this evening.

Made of hard rubber and has glue remnants on the rear. Has www.skiffy.com written on it. Can't see any thing missing.

I've emailed the Factory, but any ideas in the meantime???

[/quote]

I think its the seat stop. It stops the seat from rubbing on the frame behind the driver / passenger.
[/quote]

Thats definitely what it is. If you reach under the centre of the seat, where it goes over the "transmission tunnel"  ;) (just in front of the gear lever), you should be able to feel these (or at least one - assuming the other has fallen off). As Mark said, they're the seat stops. It's the flexing of the seats that makes them pop off. Just stick it back on with a glue gun, and ideally stick some hard foam/neoprene under the back part of the seats (where they go over the aforementioned transmission tunnel). That should stop the seat flexing as much. I did that to mine, and haven't had another one pop off.

PS. There's two at the front, and another two at the back from memory. If it's not the front two, it's one of the back two
Last edited by Rob McPherson on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks Rob - Tom confirms it is exactly as you say. He says there are either 2 or 4 stuck on so should still be ok without just the one. I dont have a glue gun either....

Rob McPherson

Post by Rob McPherson » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:48 am

"No More Nails",or regular mastic should be almost as good. Will just take longer to go off.

Needs to be flexible though. Something like Araldite or another "hard" glue would just crack right off.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:07 pm

I frequently find these in my footwell

Any ideas?

Rob McPherson

Post by Rob McPherson » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:45 pm

The grommet looks like it's perished. I imagine the owner would have encountered some sealing issues.

A hot glue gun or a cable tie should sort him out.....  ;D

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:11 pm

I found both my rear 2 seat stops (where seat rests on the chassis bars in centre) were loose. I have since re-stuck them twice but I find that with 2 up and full acceleration these rubber 'stops' slide off the bars and the seat jolts down an inch or so. The Factory will look at this when my car goes down in Oct but meantime I might try and find a better shaped bit of rubber to do the job - any ideas anybody ?

Rob McPherson

Post by Rob McPherson » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:23 pm

I got some dense foam (neoprene type stuff) and cut some 3 - 4 inch long strips from it that were a little wider than the rubber stops. I then cut holes in the foam and seated the stops in them, and glued it all back into place where the stops went.

Been there a couple of months now, and appears to have cured the problem.

John H

Post by John H » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:41 pm

[quote="jpswift"]
steve

looks like the wibbly wobbly valve!

do not use under any circumstances all summer long as car will definitely explode if you go over 3000rpm

unlucky
[/quote]
Funny you should have said that Mr Swift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Just spied this thread - and it looks exactly like a rubber 'foot' for appliances - I have almost identical ones on my power amplifier.
And these are ...

- cure theatrical music -
<dum Dum dum Duuuuummm>

SCREWED ON.