Atom 3 brake lines - another question

meladdo

Atom 3 brake lines - another question

Post by meladdo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Looking at many pictures and video clips ;D of the Atom in action I have noticed the braded rubber brake lines running along the suspension wishbones - this is normal for a car of this type -

but I have just noticed the same braded hoses running down the cars centre chassis rails - am I correct in thinking all the Atoms brake lines are steel braded rubber hoses? or is this an upgrade or retro fit on some owners cars? and not factory fit?

cheers

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Atom 3 brake lines - another question

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:46 pm

Standard Goodridge steel-braided brake and clutch lines as fitted by the factory (clutch on the right of the picture)
Attachments
IMG_7495 (Medium).jpg
Last edited by John Scherrer on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:51 am

After a little research it seems the Goodridge lines are specifically designed for the purpose of complete systems install. Its a while since I delved into this type of high tech componant.........always wanted to fit out a car with these years ago.....they were not recommended years ago as they would grOW as you pressed the brake........and were only used in high flex areas - like body to caliper.....or body to rear axle - as a link - similar places to where manufactures fit the standard rubber non braded hoses.

How tech moves on......... :tu:

Just out of curiosity is there a recommended life span for them? as I cant see how you could check them for cracks or damage?

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:35 am

I cant help but mention how the welds on that chassis look - the chassis looks a work of art......loving it :tu:

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 am

I think the rubber only lines would have more 'grow' in them and the braided lines would restrict this.

Darren

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:07 am

[quote="ragezx14r"]
I think the rubber only lines would have more 'grow' in them and the braided lines would restrict this.[/quote]

Right. The 1st-generation stainless lines were intended to get around this, but had their own problem of the braid being worn through by rubbing on chassis / body components, and then puncturing the inner brake line. Current lines have a Teflon (most commonly, occasionally some other material) jacket over the braid to prevent this from happening.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:06 pm

I only quiry this I I was going to build a westie a Looong time ago and was told that doing all the brake lines in flexible braded pipe will not pass the SVA at the time....

I see now though these lines are specifically for that purpose - I have not been able to find any recommendation for changing these lines at any given service interval........so technology has move on a long way with these line - look the business too!!