K Series Engined Atoms.....

oneaves2005

K Series Engined Atoms.....

Post by oneaves2005 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:48 am

Hi i'm new on here,

Just after some info about the engine options with the K-series Atoms and the gearbox make and spec. Also if they come with an LSD as standard?

Can anyone help?

Ollie

benyeats

Re: K Series Engined Atoms.....

Post by benyeats » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:04 am

Hello and welcome.

The K-series cars were available in various trims, changes being made by fitting throttle bodies etc.  Entry level was 120bhp with upgrades to 140 and 190 (iirc, Bruce will be along to correct this soon)

The gearbox is the Rover PG1 box and as far as I know none of them came with an LSD standard or otherwise although it is easy to fit one (I know this because I have)

Ben

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:30 am

[quote="benyeats"]

Entry level was 120bhp with upgrades to 140 and 190 (iirc, Bruce will be along to correct this soon)

Ben
[/quote]

There was a 165bhp option, too. The turquiose Atom we ran at Fielding Gibson had it.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

oneaves2005

Post by oneaves2005 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:57 am

Cool cheers guys, does anyone know the specs of each engine, i.e what was done to the 140 to make it a 165 or the difference between the 165 and the 190?

Ollie

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:11 pm

[quote="oneaves2005"]
Cool cheers guys, does anyone know the specs of each engine, i.e what was done to the 140 to make it a 165 or the difference between the 165 and the 190?

Ollie
[/quote]

In no particular order:
Emerald ECU,
hotter cams,
individual throttle bodies

Think that was it.  All based on the standard K-series head.

I have fitted a VVC K into mine and it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:38 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="oneaves2005"]

Ollie
[/quote]

In no particular order:
Emerald ECU,
hotter cams,

Think that was it.  All based on the standard K-series head.

Ben
[/quote]
...And all supplied by Powertrain Projects
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:56 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="oneaves2005"]

Ollie
[/quote]

In no particular order:
Emerald ECU,
hotter cams,

Think that was it.  All based on the standard K-series head.

Ben
[/quote]

Cylinder heads are a major difference in K-series power variants. I know of a car that was supplied a different head plus new ECU, with tune to match, from Ariel to boost the engine to 180hp. The different heads can be either non or with VVT and have different valve sizes. The VHPD (Very High Performance Derivative) 16-valve head uses the VVC unique cylinder head casting (similar to VVC casting), has big valves, but with fixed cam timing. It produces 177 hp (130 kW) or 192 hp (142 kW) (Lotus  version).

This is a very good read about the K-series engine although it is about the Lotus 111. ->  http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/t ... kingk.html

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:07 pm

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="oneaves2005"]

Ollie
[/quote]

In no particular order:
Emerald ECU,
hotter cams,

Think that was it.  All based on the standard K-series head.

Ben
[/quote]

Cylinder heads are a major difference in K-series power variants. I know of a car that was supplied a different head plus new ECU, with tune to match, from Ariel to boost the engine to 180hp. The different heads can be either non or with VVT and have different valve sizes. The VHPD (Very High Performance Derivative) 16-valve head uses the VVC unique cylinder head casting (similar to VVC casting), has big valves, but with fixed cam timing. It produces 177 hp (130 kW) or 192 hp (142 kW) (Lotus  version).

This is a very good read about the K-series engine although it is about the Lotus 111. ->  http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/t ... kingk.html
[/quote]

I did not know that any were supplied with the VHPD head interesting.  I second that the article on the sands site is well worth a read when it comes to the K-series.  Another upgrade path is to use a VVC head and remove the VVC mech, kits are available to do this.

Ben