Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
MotorCade.co.za

Re: Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

Post by MotorCade.co.za » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:19 am

[quote="John H"]
[quote="MotorCade.co.za"]
[quote="1965Cobra427"]
[quote="dp35"]
[quote="Colin H"]
That's interesting - do you know if he suggest upgrading it or just replacing it with another standard one?
[/quote]

He recommended replacing it with a new stock OEM unit.
[/quote]

Meaning the stock item commonly fail?

I though I'll say Hi, usually just browse the forum, I'm responsible for all the work done on the Collin's Atom. :tu:
[/quote]

Welcome to the Forum MotorCade! I hope that some of the information her has proven useful to you in working with Colin's Atom. We are always eager to hear how 'the other guy' does it, and to see the different ways that our Atoms can be tweaked to reflect our individual machine lust. Hope to see you post more as your work progresses.
[/quote]

Yes, you will hear from me more often, I used to just browse the pics to see what you guys did with yours, back when I started working on the first Atom of Dawie Joubert, locally there really ain't much of them around, and most only know it from Top Gear.

Busy building another turbo Atom, started with the turbo manifold design this morning.
[/quote]
Ben Yeats and I are in CT next month if u are around. Would be nice to meet up. U are Joburg though no?
[/quote]

I'm in CT, just down the road from the track. I'll see if we can make a plan.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:26 pm

I'm in Johannesburg next May. Shall make time to go to CT, too  :tu:
Cheers, Hedge

John H

Post by John H » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:49 pm

[quote="Hedge"]
I'm in Johannesburg next May. Shall make time to go to CT, too  :tu:
Cheers, Hedge
[/quote]
I'll be there then too.
Oh dear!

johnpest

Post by johnpest » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:21 pm

my 2.4 l turbo Atom is finally nearing completion in cape Town to Race with You And Dawie

new smaller turbo (about 350 KW on the wheels@ 0.7)

Will post pics soon
Will have a new Toneau cover in place

trying various different intercooler positions but will finalise this week
I am a bit worried about the intercooler behind the turbo suffering from heat from close proximatey to the turbo

John

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:27 am

[quote="John H"]
[quote="1965Cobra427"]
[quote="dp35"]
[quote="Colin H"]
That's interesting - do you know if he suggest upgrading it or just replacing it with another standard one?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I though I'll say Hi, usually just browse the forum, I'm responsible for all the work done on the Collin's Atom. :tu:
[/quote]

Welcome to the Forum MotorCade! I hope that some of the information her has proven useful to you in working with Colin's Atom. We are always eager to hear how 'the other guy' does it, and to see the different ways that our Atoms can be tweaked to reflect our individual machine lust. Hope to see you post more as your work progresses.
[/quote]

Yes, you will hear from me more often, I used to just browse the pics to see what you guys did with yours, back when I started working on the first Atom of Dawie Joubert, locally there really ain't much of them around, and most only know it from Top Gear.

Busy building another turbo Atom, started with the turbo manifold design this morning.
[/quote]
Ben Yeats and I are in CT next month if u are around. Would be nice to meet up. U are Joburg though no?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am in CT now, the mrs is off diving with sharks, I am sat in the sun reading the forum.  We are meeting Colin H next week for some track time.

Ben

MotorCade.co.za

Post by MotorCade.co.za » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:40 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="John H"]
[quote="1965Cobra427"]
[quote="dp35"]
[quote="Colin H"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am in CT now, the mrs is off diving with sharks, I am sat in the sun reading the forum.  We are meeting Colin H next week for some track time.

Ben

[/quote]

I better then get the car assembled as its currently stripped... ;D

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:38 pm

[quote="johnpest"]
my 2.4 l turbo Atom is finally nearing completion in cape Town to Race with You And Dawie
new smaller turbo (about 350 KW on the wheels@ 0.7)
Will post pics soon
Will have a new Toneau cover in place
trying various different intercooler positions but will finalise this week
I am a bit worried about the intercooler behind the turbo suffering from heat from close proximatey to the turbo
John
[/quote]

hey john, sounds great! will be good to have another atom racing with us!
are you going to make the race on the 7th November, it's the last race of the season.

we put a plate above the engine that directs air to the intercooler and keeps the engine heat off as well.
have you put an oil cooler, i'm still struggling with OT with the extra cooler and have to make a small cowl to direct air to it...

my car is all back together (clutch number 3 that should be good for 800 bhp), speed sensors installed for traction control, clutch sensor for blipping on down shift and extra button for additional boost when needed on the straights. now we just have to get all the programming of the Motec done.

johnpest

Post by johnpest » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:00 pm

An oil cooler is next to the car - we enlarged the sump and added 4 l extra oil, but havent fitted the cooler

I am running the intercooler above the motor- have made a new cover over the bar

I wont be at the race as i am racing at Zwartkops last race of season in two championships (in Speads and lotus 7)

Will be going to check the car in Cape town on friday

John

MotorCade.co.za

Post by MotorCade.co.za » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:07 pm

[quote="johnpest"]
An oil cooler is next to the car - we enlarged the sump and added 4 l extra oil, but havent fitted the cooler

I am running the intercooler above the motor- have made a new cover over the bar

I wont be at the race as i am racing at Zwartkops last race of season in two championships (in Speads and lotus 7)

John
[/quote]

For what reason did you enlarge the sump? On Colin H's Atom it already takes over 5 litres of oil. Why not just go dry sump?

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:25 pm

[quote="johnpest"]

John
[/quote]

who's doing the work on you Atom?

i have the track booked on Friday btwn 12 and 2 if you're in the area and want to see my car.
Ben (UK Atom owner) will be there and Alistair is going to bring his Elise and is also going to try my 7......

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:40 pm

[quote="Colin H"]
[quote="johnpest"]

John
[/quote]

who's doing the work on you Atom?

i have the track booked on Friday btwn 12 and 2 if you're in the area and want to see my car.
Ben (UK Atom owner) will be there and Alistair is going to bring his Elise and is also going to try my 7......
[/quote]

We will also be brining the mighty Megane 200 sport with sticky handbrake.

Colin, did Alistair message you re: going for a beer this evening ? 

Ben

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:49 pm

he did, but i'm sitting on a boring shoot, hoping not to shoot to late.
what time and where?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Expect we will be in the fireman's arms from 7:30 for a good while, probably best if you give Alistair a call when you are free.  But won't be too far from that area of town I guess.

Jx H

Post by Jx H » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:14 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but i think it is relevant.
Colin H's AA3 Turbo is still alive and well (again), now with a new owner in Johannesburg. ( i am not sure how many people owned this atom between Colin and now)

The new owner brought it to me, to look at a low power issue, and ''loud exhaust'' tone. Upon inspection, i found the turbo hanging from its flange by only one bolt! Obviously someone in the past had been fiddling without proper knowledge..... sigh.
After removing the turbo, i found the Garrett Gt35 to have excessive bearing noise, and impeller play aswell. This is a DBB turbo btw. Not good. The cause.... a partially blocked oil supply port to the turbo... Silicone sealer!! Local Garrett dealer had no stock, so i opted for a Precision 6262 SP with a .63 AR hot side. The wastegate was not seating properly anymore either, so a Precision 46mm V-band gate was installed aswell. Currently the car is at our dyno tuning shop, and is now experiencing a fuel pressure issue out the blue... this was determined to be a tired Walbro fuel pump. Replaced it with an AEM 335 alcohol friendly pump today. Fuel tank goes back in tomorrow, and dyno work continues. Up and till the pump packed up today, figures were around 260wkw @ 0.6 bar on the wheels.

Jx H

Post by Jx H » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:18 pm

1 bolt holding on to the turbo...
Attachments
Atom flange.jpg