Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Colin H

Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

Post by Colin H » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:23 pm

My turbo Atom is up and running, so thought I would post some pictures.
Still need to modify rear wheel covers to work with the 17" rims (16' fit fine under the front though)...
Attachments
race.jpg
race.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Last edited by Colin H on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin H

Re: Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

Post by Colin H » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:25 pm

Turbo fitted in really neatly .
The car has the standard 16's on the back, had just driven it back to the mechanic after burning out the clutch trying the anti lag out. Will have to find a much stringer clutch, the standard one can't cope with the extra power.
Attachments
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (88.2 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Last edited by Colin H on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:30 pm

plumbing tight
Attachments
engine.jpg
engine.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 1829 times

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:31 pm

turbo in there somewhere
Attachments
turbo.jpg
turbo.jpg (87.18 KiB) Viewed 1825 times

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:34 pm

Extra oil cooler & accumulate - temporary manual tap till we are happy with it.
Accusump could not fit, tight squeeze with only a half tube at upper part of the tank.
Attachments
oil cooler.jpg
oil cooler.jpg (85.53 KiB) Viewed 1825 times

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:36 pm

New dash WIP to house the Motec Dash - the warning light/shift light module still needs to be mounted behind the base of the wind deflector (cut hole in dash).
temporary GPS mounting....
Will make out of Alu once we are happy with design and added the last few buttons needed for all the Motec functions.
Attachments
dash.jpg
dash.jpg (69.64 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
Last edited by Colin H on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Mounted front wheel sensors for the traction control.
Still trying to find the best way to mount the hall sensors for the back wheels.
Attachments
speed sensor.jpg
speed sensor.jpg (67.56 KiB) Viewed 1841 times

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Looks like an awesome project Colin! You must be one of those power mad Atom owners we keep hearing about  :) What kind of internal mods if any have you done to accommodate the boost? I applaud your efforts and I'm eager to hear dyno numbers. (Did you get any before figures? Too bad you're so far from Oklahoma!

[img width=800 height=533]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... 80x854.jpg[/img]

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Amazing! Let us know how much your lap times improve with the new setup.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:05 pm

How big a handful is it when the turbo hits mid corner or is it easy to keep the lag to a minimum?

Looks sweet. Reminds me of the UK turbo'd Atom with that huge intercooler. :tu:

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:00 pm

unfortunately I have not had a chance to check the figures on a dyno yet!
The other car with the same setup was pulling 275kw (about 370bhp i think) on 1 bar of boost. I also run one bar of boost.....
There are no Motec tech's in Cape Town, so I flew guys down from Jhb and I got the basic map from a Lotus running the same setup. we fine tune the map by emailing the log from my runs and he sends me back new ECU files (crazy way to work).

we've upgraded to forget 9:1 pistons and rods, baffled the saump (major OP problems) and are in the process of upgrading the clutch...

I've gained about 3 seconds a lap from the stock Atom 3 with the Supercharger - both based on running with Yokohama A005 slicks in the UK Lotus compound. There is still much more to be gained, the car is 22kmh faster by the end of the straight and I am struggling (scared) to find the right breaking point and breaking very early. I would say it is at least 4 seconds before we start refining - traction control, auto throttle blipping, anti lag etc.

It is difficult to get the power on early in the corners, goes from a bit of under-steer with the turbo lag to over steer as the boost kicks in - we are mapping the turbo to increase boost with throttle position, so if you ease on the power you don't kick in with one bar of boost. Will also play with the anti lag, working so well in gear changing that it cooked my clutch  :-[ not sure we can keep it on long enough to work in the corners, but going to start trying.

over all, it is awesome to drive and super fast..... just a pity i couldn't get it to the Atom Fest, i'm sure I could learn a lot.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:56 pm

Looks really like the UK turbo car (which now lives in the US)

Hope to get to see it when we are in Cape Town in October, or at least go for a pint at the Firestation again

Ben

deepdiver

Post by deepdiver » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi,
Looks and sounds very nice,370 bhp 22kmh faster.
I realise, this is a labour of love thing.
but with a supercharger costing £5k how much does all this extra work cost when you turbo an Atom,  And this is no bolt on solution.

Thanks
George.

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:21 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
Looks really like the UK turbo car (which now lives in the US)

Hope to get to see it when we are in Cape Town in October, or at least go for a pint at the Firestation again

Ben
[/quote]

Is that DP or Calscots car, will try look and find it?

warn me when you come, we can try book an hour on the track....
or settle for a pint at the fire station  ;D

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:33 pm

[quote="RS4 George"]
Hi,
Looks and sounds very nice,370 bhp 22kmh faster.
I realise, this is a labour of love thing.
but with a supercharger costing £5k how much does all this extra work cost when you turbo an Atom,  And this is no bolt on solution.

Thanks
George.
[/quote]

I could have probably  done the engine mods and the turbo for less than the 5k i paid for the supercharger (without the Motec, just with a piggy backed chip). But then MotorCade Motorsport who did the turbo did the work for love not money..... They were hoping to have a Turbo Kit that could be sold as a package, but the fit is to tight and there are hundreds of small mods that had to be done. They are about to do Dawie's Atom now, he has given up on the more expensive 2.4l high compression motors that have less power and are less reliable....

I wanted to competitive in my regional Sports & GT Championship and the standard Atom was disappointing, I never got it to run faster than my 7 replica with a rotary motor. I could have got the setup right and matched or just bettered the performance, but I needed to be 3 seconds a lap faster which I never would have got from the super charger. The Atom is expensive in SA, once you pay freight, import duty and VAT, so once I was in so deep I had to make it work.....

Now what to do with the Supercharger I paid 500 quid for that is in Cape Town?
Last edited by Colin H on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.