Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Colin H

Re: Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

Post by Colin H » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:52 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
We will be going on a safari for some of the time we are there but don't know when yet.  When I have spoken to my Cape Town connection I will see what the plan is and if I can borrow his Elise for the trackday !

Ben

p.s. what John said about Pete ;)
[/quote]

great idea, I want to get Alistair to try my 7 and race with us in our local Sports & GT events. i called him a few weeks ago when I had the track booked, but he was on his way to the UK. i'll distract him while you throw his Elise around Killarney!

ps. Pete sounds much more level headed than you loons.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Fastbuck's car

Could not find any more detailed pics

[quote="Colin H"]
i'll distract him while you throw his Elise around Killarney!
[/quote]

Deal, just need to loose a few inches off my legs by next month

Ben

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:51 pm

How long do you think those plastic lenses just above the muffler will last being so close.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:58 pm

^ Fastbuck's former car was last seen collecting dust in an outdoor storage yard, after apparently being busted by US Customs for some sort of import violation.  Search the forum & you'll learn more about that.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:08 am

[quote="Colin H"]
we have baffled the engine sump and still have OP problems when I put the power on after a long high G corner?
do you run a dry sump or do you have an accumulator?
what baffles do you have in your engine?
[/quote]

I've had the same OP problems.  I installed the Hytech oil pan baffle, and still had the problem in L turns.  I recently installed a 3 quart Accusump, and the problem now seems to be solved.  Because of its large size, it was very hard to fit the Accusump on the Atom.  There was nowhere around the engine to install it, so I put it up front, just behind the radiator.  So far so good after one race day of using it - no OP issues and no leaks. 

After I had the Accusump halfway in the car, John from Hytech suggested I replace my vtec control unit.  This is a fairly cheap and easy to change part.  Its possible that would've corrected my problem without needing the Accusump, but I almost don't want to know that now.
Attachments
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (124.69 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

John H

Post by John H » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:34 am

[quote="Colin H"]
[quote="John H"]
can I just say........................Pete (calscot) is probably a bigger loon than you Colin................. dont trust him, he will corrupt your soul...............................you'll probably enjoy it tho.
heh
[/quote]

i'm actually a quiet, well mannered conservative guy
[/quote]
so am I in fact!

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:02 am

[quote="dp35"]
After I had the Accusump halfway in the car, John from Hytech suggested I replace my vtec control unit.  This is a fairly cheap and easy to change part.  Its possible that would've corrected my problem without needing the Accusump, but I almost don't want to know that now.

[/quote]

That's interesting - do you know if he suggest upgrading it or just replacing it with another standard one?

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:15 pm

[quote="Colin H"]
That's interesting - do you know if he suggest upgrading it or just replacing it with another standard one?
[/quote]

He recommended replacing it with a new stock OEM unit.

MotorCade.co.za

Post by MotorCade.co.za » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:59 pm

[quote="dp35"]
[quote="Colin H"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Meaning the stock item commonly fail?

I though I'll say Hi, usually just browse the forum, I'm responsible for all the work done on the Collin's Atom. :tu:

Monza

Post by Monza » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:13 pm

When this sensor has been used to much (oftenMany to low oil pressure), it begins to not work well : he stays in no-VTEC position and you have to cut engine and start again ... it does it to me, i need to change it to.  ;)
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:18 pm

[quote="MotorCade.co.za"]
[quote="dp35"]
[quote="Colin H"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I though I'll say Hi, usually just browse the forum, I'm responsible for all the work done on the Collin's Atom. :tu:
[/quote]

They don't commonly fail but it's happend a couple of time from what he told me.
DP35 was having vtec cut out on hard cornering. Since vtec is in part activated by oil pressure, the theory was that he was losing oil pressure on the hard corners. He installed a baffled sump system but was still having the issue so he installed the Accusump. John at Hytec suggested replacing the vtec control module because when they do fail, they can cause much the same erratic behavior before they fail completely.

Not sure if DP35 has had chance to run it on track yet? I know he was racing in the Miata series this weekend.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Yes I did test the Atom with the Accusump, and the problem is gone.  I did not change the vtec control unit.  If the problem pops up again, it will likely be because the vtec unit is bad.  Otherwise I'll leave it alone if its working.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:22 pm

[quote="dp35"]
[quote="Colin H"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Welcome to the Forum MotorCade! I hope that some of the information her has proven useful to you in working with Colin's Atom. We are always eager to hear how 'the other guy' does it, and to see the different ways that our Atoms can be tweaked to reflect our individual machine lust. Hope to see you post more as your work progresses.

MotorCade.co.za

Post by MotorCade.co.za » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:09 pm

[quote="1965Cobra427"]
[quote="dp35"]
[quote="Colin H"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Welcome to the Forum MotorCade! I hope that some of the information her has proven useful to you in working with Colin's Atom. We are always eager to hear how 'the other guy' does it, and to see the different ways that our Atoms can be tweaked to reflect our individual machine lust. Hope to see you post more as your work progresses.
[/quote]

Yes, you will hear from me more often, I used to just browse the pics to see what you guys did with yours, back when I started working on the first Atom of Dawie Joubert, locally there really ain't much of them around, and most only know it from Top Gear.

Busy building another turbo Atom, started with the turbo manifold design this morning.

John H

Post by John H » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:15 am

[quote="1965Cobra427"]
[quote="dp35"]
[quote="Colin H"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, you will hear from me more often, I used to just browse the pics to see what you guys did with yours, back when I started working on the first Atom of Dawie Joubert, locally there really ain't much of them around, and most only know it from Top Gear.

Busy building another turbo Atom, started with the turbo manifold design this morning.
[/quote]
Ben Yeats and I are in CT next month if u are around. Would be nice to meet up. U are Joburg though no?