Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
deepdiver

Re: Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

Post by deepdiver » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi colin,
iv got to respect the comitment to your sport, i hope your successfull, your going to need some deep pockets,  i would advetise it on this forum when you sell you S/C.
i take it you have done all your work between seasons. 
how long did, has this up grade been going on?. 

george.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Very, very nice Colin!  I very much like the application of the Motec dash. 

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:37 pm

Sounds and looks like your having fun  :tu:

I would sugest the ACT 6-puck clutch. It's very smooth and engages almost like the OEM and is not too stiff. It bite's great and holds up to abuse really well.

Be VERY carefull and check those rear wheel bearings every track day before and after. Jack the car up and grab a rear wheel on the sides with both hands and try to wiggle/wobble it for ANY movement. If you feel it move or hear it "click", you need to be thinking of changing them out very soon thereafter. You should upgrade to DP's rear hub upgrade ASAP on that Atom of yours. I was going through standard rear wheel bearings about every 4 track days (with slicks and over 400WHP)

Good luck and I am sure many of us look forward to more pictures, stories and developments. :)

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:58 pm

[quote="RS4 George"]
Hi colin,
iv got to respect the comitment to your sport, i hope your successfull, your going to need some deep pockets,  i would advetise it on this forum when you sell you S/C.
i take it you have done all your work between seasons. 
how long did, has this up grade been going on?.   

george.
[/quote]

hi george,

thanks, never thought of selling it through the forum - i guess i can just ship it back to the UK...

i tried to do it between seasons, but as with all car projects we ran into a few problems  :(
it was basically a months work till we drove it with the turbo. it then took another 2 months to import new piston after they melted them on the dyno and to order a Motec from Australia..... The setup of all the great features of the Motec will take a while due to budget constraints!

But the car runs great and the Motec probably saved me from killing 2 more motors. The full logging facility lets you know what happens at every moment on the track so we found all the serious oil pressure problems the engines have from the factory.

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:15 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
I would sugest the ACT 6-puck clutch. It's very smooth and engages almost like the OEM and is not too stiff. It bite's great and holds up to abuse really well.

Be VERY carefull and check those rear wheel bearings every track day before and after. Jack the car up and grab a rear wheel on the sides with both hands and try to wiggle/wobble it for ANY movement. If you feel it move or hear it "click", you need to be thinking of changing them out very soon thereafter. You should upgrade to DP's rear hub upgrade ASAP on that Atom of yours. I was going through standard rear wheel bearings about every 4 track days (with slicks and over 400WHP)
[/quote]

do you run the clutch on a Brammo Atom? I will check if they make kits for the Honda K20Z engines....
great to know that a single clutch is strong enough with that sort of power, I was worried we may have to go to a double clutch.
what sort of boost levels do you run to get 400 BHP?

thanks for the tip, we will keep an eye on the bearings.
i looked through the thread on the uprights and drooled over DP's finished product. i saw how skimpy the std rod ends are as well, one knock on the track could easily break them. I want to get them upgraded as well.....
as soon as the bank balance recovers, they will be next on the list - everything is double the price by the time it lands in SA and we pay the freight, import duties etc.... i drool when i see what you guys have access to.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:05 pm

[quote="Colin H"]
[quote="CalScot"]

[/quote]

do you run the clutch on a Brammo Atom? I will check if they make kits for the Honda K20Z engines....
great to know that a single clutch is strong enough with that sort of power, I was worried we may have to go to a double clutch.
what sort of boost levels do you run to get 400 BHP?

thanks for the tip, we will keep an eye on the bearings.
i looked through the thread on the uprights and drooled over DP's finished product. i saw how skimpy the std rod ends are as well, one knock on the track could easily break them. I want to get them upgraded as well.....
as soon as the bank balance recovers, they will be next on the list - everything is double the price by the time it lands in SA and we pay the freight, import duties etc.... i drool when i see what you guys have access to.

[/quote]
I have A UK made Honda. Was originally a 220. I added the Hondata K-Pro, Rebuilt the engine and added a Rotrex S/C. Compression is actually increased to closer to 12:1. Boost is 15psi at 8600 RPM. The output depends on what correction factor you use for WHP to BHP. If you use 10% then it has 500BHP. It needs at least 110 leaded octane race fuel to get this. If it's run on regular pump gas, with the original stock muffler, it's 390WHP. That's my "sensible" street tune. Of course, the tune is critical to running at these levels. I go to Church's Automotive in LA. Shaun Church is brilliant with Hondas. Not only are they experts in Honda tuning but I also had the best Honda tuners anyhwere to help. Doug McMillan of Hondata and John Grudinski of Hytec. My car has done hundreds of dyno runs to get all the different maps dialed in.

I have about 8k miles on the ACT clutch and it's still working fine. Again, it drives like a OEM clutch and is very strong.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:12 pm

[quote="Colin H"]
[quote="benyeats"]
Looks really like the UK turbo car (which now lives in the US)

Hope to get to see it when we are in Cape Town in October, or at least go for a pint at the Firestation again

Ben
[/quote]

Is that DP or Calscots car, will try look and find it?

warn me when you come, we can try book an hour on the track....
or settle for a pint at the fire station  ;D
[/quote]

Don't know who has got the car now, not DP or CalScot.  Was owned by UK member 'fastbuck' until he exported it.

We are in CT from the 17th Oct and the two weeks after that, sounds like John H will also be around then so we can race rental cars round the track !

Ben

John H

Post by John H » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:25 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
Looks really like the UK turbo car (which now lives in the US)

Hope to get to see it when we are in Cape Town in October, or at least go for a pint at the Firestation again

Ben
[/quote]
I'll be there too......................Colin, you are a total fuckin nutjob.................we need more like u on the forum
So glad I get the credit for introducing you
heh

John H

Post by John H » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:29 pm

[quote="Colin H"]

Now what to do with the Supercharger I paid 500 quid for that is in Cape Town?
[/quote]
erm...........................I'll have it for 500 quid no probs................I'll even do the transport for your next film for jack too if u give it me for that
heh.
Will it fit in me suitcase?
See u end of October hopefully......................Ben and I are up for a day of madness at Killarney if u can organise?

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:05 pm

[quote="John H"]
erm...........................I'll have it for 500 quid no probs................I'll even do the transport for your next film for jack too if u give it me for that
heh.
See u end of October hopefully......................Ben and I are up for a day of madness at Killarney if u can organise?
[/quote]

missing a little '0' from the price.....

will definitely try book the track for some fun while you're here, as long as you guys don't get me banned from the track :)
let me know if you have any commitments during your stay, the track gets busy so the sooner I book the better.

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:30 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
I have A UK made Honda. Was originally a 220. I added the Hondata K-Pro, Rebuilt the engine and added a Rotrex S/C. Compression is actually increased to closer to 12:1. Boost is 15psi at 8600 RPM. The output depends on what correction factor you use for WHP to BHP. If you use 10% then it has 500BHP. It needs at least 110 leaded octane race fuel to get this. If it's run on regular pump gas, with the original stock muffler, it's 390WHP. That's my "sensible" street tune. Of course, the tune is critical to running at these levels. I go to Church's Automotive in LA. Shaun Church is brilliant with Hondas. Not only are they experts in Honda tuning but I also had the best Honda tuners anyhwere to help. Doug McMillan of Hondata and John Grudinski of Hytec. My car has done hundreds of dyno runs to get all the different maps dialed in.

I have about 8k miles on the ACT clutch and it's still working fine. Again, it drives like a OEM clutch and is very strong.
[/quote]

i'm jealous, we don't have guys who specialize in Hondas or Hanodata's to that level in SA. that said, MotorCade is amazing at doing turbo conversions.
we don't have any hub dynos in Cape Town (only in Johannesburg), so it is difficult to map my car on a dyno (it has too much power and we loose traction on the rollers).

we have just changed to a closed loop (PID) boost control and we can run 15psi boost from 3500 to 8600rpm - the boost level reduces  according to the throttle position and as the horizontal G's increase.
i'm only running about 105 Octane at this stage. we are going to add a boost button on the steering wheel to increase the boost for short bursts if I need to get past someone on the straight. we want the engine reliable, so going to keep the boost down to around 15psi most the time. i still need to do a separate map for pump fuel.

we have baffled the engine sump and still have OP problems when I put the power on after a long high G corner?
do you run a dry sump or do you have an accumulator?
what baffles do you have in your engine?

thanks for the advice on the clutch, i'm sure it will save me an expensive learning curve....
colin

John H

Post by John H » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:31 pm

[quote="Colin H"]
[quote="John H"]
heh.
[/quote]

will definitely try book the track for some fun while you're here, as long as you guys don't get me banned from the track :)
let me know if you have any commitments during your stay, the track gets busy so the sooner I book the better.
[/quote]
i have an appointment at the local bottle store and I seriously need to try to find those cocks who tried to mug me last time I was there to see how the geezer's nose is healing, but apart from that...............in the immortal words of John Inman.................."i'm free"
Bet your car can get up to at least 50mph with ben in it.
heh

John H

Post by John H » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:33 pm

can I just say........................Pete (calscot) is probably a bigger loon than you Colin................. dont trust him, he will corrupt your soul...............................you'll probably enjoy it tho.
heh

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:41 pm

[quote="John H"]
[quote="Colin H"]
[quote="John H"]
heh.
[/quote]

[/quote]
i have an appointment at the local bottle store and I seriously need to try to find those cocks who tried to mug me last time I was there to see how the geezer's nose is healing, but apart from that...............in the immortal words of John Inman.................."i'm free"
Bet your car can get up to at least 50mph with ben in it.
heh
[/quote]

We will be going on a safari for some of the time we are there but don't know when yet.  When I have spoken to my Cape Town connection I will see what the plan is and if I can borrow his Elise for the trackday !

Ben

p.s. what John said about Pete ;)

Colin H

Post by Colin H » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:44 pm

[quote="John H"]
can I just say........................Pete (calscot) is probably a bigger loon than you Colin................. dont trust him, he will corrupt your soul...............................you'll probably enjoy it tho.
heh
[/quote]

i'm actually a quiet, well mannered conservative guy