Dry sump vs Accusump

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Jacob Potts

Re: Dry sump vs Accusump

Post by Jacob Potts » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:20 am

dp wrote:
Jacob, the mounting of the engine is limited by the gearbox and the flywheel diameter.  you can make the sump shallower but without going to a smaller flywheel, multiplate clutch and custom bellhousing you can't lower the overall powertrain package.    all those things COULD be done but would be very expensive just to lower the engine a couple inches.
So the Honda/Ecotec engine used by the Atom is already mounted as low as it can be.  Did I read that right? 

I just know that some American engines are much higher than they need to be because of a large wet sump mounted beneath the block, and that some other motors are mounted "high" because of other "packaging: factors, e.g:, the transmission is mounted underneath the engine (viz, the Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer and Testarossa/512).  I am sure you know of others :-)

I do not know where the transmission and other drivetrain components are located on the Atom in relation to the engine.  I searched the Internet for a photo or a diagram, but came up empty.

Thanks for clarifying that, dp!

And haymanator wrote:
Dry sumping one would be a waste of money....the slick shod race Atom's didn't/don't have or need them.

So even Atoms which probe the very outside limits of lateral acceleration (race cars with slick tires) don't even need a dry sump on their engines.  That is impressive.  Thanks, haymanator!

Gratefully,

Jacob :-)

dp

Re: Dry sump vs Accusump

Post by dp » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:07 am

Jacob,

here is a picture of a typical drysump motor mounted to a typical FWD gearbox.  obvisously this is not a gm or honda but it's the only picture i could find.  it's also at a slight angle so it's not totally exact but it will give you a good idea of what i'm talking about.  on the ecotec the gearbox housing is even with the standard engine sump, don't recall the honda but fairly certain it would be the same.