Ancillary Silencer for trackdays

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Winmoz

Ancillary Silencer for trackdays

Post by Winmoz » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:04 pm

My local track is Thruxton - home of Tiff Needel and allegedly the fastest track in the UK.
I’ve never driven it because I’ve never had a car that I’d want to take on track that could meet the noise requirements.

Like Croft, Thruxton has a quiet day limit of 90db. The #BananAtom, a de-catted K20 3.5R normally hits between 94-96db static at 4500rpm.

So, I looked at baffle inserts but was put off by the back pressure and power loss people reported. My solution, in the end was to commission TEC (https://www.exhaustcompany.co.uk/) to design and build a bolt on ancillary muffler system that added little in the way of restrictions.

Quite happy with the results (86db at 4500rpm).Image
Especially as the back box is in profile with the rest of the car.Image
And the whole thing comes off by undoing two bolts that secure the clamps onto the newly welded end plate flanges.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom

Atlarge

Re: Ancillary Silencer for trackdays

Post by Atlarge » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:31 pm

Nice - that's a pretty ingenious solution! Is the extra silencer held on by more than the v-band clamps around the existing tailpipes?

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:16 pm

The original tips have been cut off and new sleeves welded into place that terminate in a flange. The bolt on silencer then clamps onto the flanges.

The fabricator went down this route as he was concerned that the original tips would not hold up to the stress of having additional weight hang off them.

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:06 pm

Winmoz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:16 pm The original tips have been cut off and new sleeves welded into place that terminate in a flange. The bolt on silencer then clamps onto the flanges.

The fabricator went down this route as he was concerned that the original tips would not hold up to the stress of having additional weight hang off them.
makes sense - I wondered how much weight would be swinging off the tips otherwise!

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:43 pm

Of course a number of things remain to be seen:

A) Does the new baffle actually pass muster at the inspection and noise test bay at Thruxton
B) How much power does the baffle sap from the engine
C) Will it cause even more heat build up at the rear of the car (my car has been known to melt its rear lights and number plate during track use)
D) Will the exhaust tips on the main system hold up to the additional strain (SirNick has been running something similar but does fewer trackdays per year than me
E) Will the change in noise (I could hear the supercharger whine and the whir of the pump in the side pod be a good thing or a bad thing?

Stay tuned for all this and more…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom

jia1000

Post by jia1000 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:26 pm

What dam good idea 👌