Atom 3.5 tyres

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
autobackup

Re: Atom 3.5 tyres

Post by autobackup » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:50 pm

I've owned an Atom for quite a few years now and, to the best of my recollection, have only driven it about 5 or 6 times in the rain - and on most of those occasions it was because I was inadvertently caught out and about when (unforecasted) it started raining!

My 3.5R has so much power that, whatever tyres are fitted, it has to be driven very very gingerly in the wet otherwise it quickly starts a pirouette 'pas de deux'!

So I am completely uninterested in the wet performance of these tyres but want the best possible grip in the dry as I avoid driving in the wet like the plague.

Given the summer heat in Cyprus plus the road surface temperature - Yoko A048/A052 tyres, despite being the harder compound, quickly get very very 'sticky' and really 'clung on' driving the Troodos mountain road bends!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 pm

autobackup wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:50 pm
So I am completely uninterested in the wet performance of these tyres but want the best possible grip in the dry as I avoid driving in the wet like the plague.
That says it all really.

Every Atom Owner needs to pick the Tyre that suits how they use their Atom, which I have done, and will be doing again when I replace my R888s, so it sounds like you're doing exactly the same for yourself with your choice. :tu:

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:36 pm

Ok after 2 sets of kumho mediums on the rears and 4 track days i can recommend these - they are just as grippy as the old R888 SGs, better than the old A048s and consistent right to the end - the R888 would dramatically lose grip once the tread had gone.

Yet to try the kumho K21s on the front but ordered in readiness.

I won't bother with softs on the Rear given I'm very happy with grip levels on the mediums.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:45 pm

Had k21s (soft) on the front.

Dramatically changed the front end grip to point where I stopped trail braking to get the front to turn in and just threw it in.

Temps were low so may have effected the k62s on back.

Recommended with ariel atom cup 3.5.

Gonna try k21s on the rear as well.

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:08 pm

Have run R888s on track across a variety of front4 and rear wheel drive cars over the years and have generally liked them - however for the Atom, I have found AO52s to be a great combo of grip and wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:09 pm

I also think the AO52s are great, people at the factory agree I know.
A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:48 am

Not tried the A052s yet, but the kumhos are only £100 each.

I think if I was going to go for more grip, slicks would be the way to go.

I'm slightly concerned the K21s changed the grip balance. Could be a temp thing

Also noticed the factory 3.5R has k21s upfront but bigger rears, which I suspect makes the balance better.