First track outing and basic questions

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Rooney1000

First track outing and basic questions

Post by Rooney1000 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi all

So appreciate that some of these questions might be obvious to a lot of you but as a newbie to my atom (2 weeks) and track days any answers to the below would be much appreciated. I have searched a fair bit but still keep coming back to these questions.

Oh, and looking at Snetterdon in June or July time.

Tyres - will I need to take a spare set with me if my current ones are in good condition? I have a spare set on rims so no problem but am hoping that I can get through a day without changing.

Tyres - subject to above, if I do then is it a simple case of jacking up and changing? Nothing else needed to be done ?

Tyres / nuts - linked to this, what is a good tyre bar / wrench set for the Atom? Looked in the boot for a spare tyre and Jack but nothing there :)

Pads - Will I need to be taking spare brake pads with me and if so, what ones and how do you fit these. Is it easy, never done this before on any car !!

What else to check - other than oil, coolant, tyre pressure and bolts is there anything else I should be checking or doing ? I won't be going mad on the track but will be going fast !!

Garage - worth booking one or not? If I don't then where do you park up when not on the circuit?

Insurance - Who is good for one off insurance, cheap but good?

2nd car - I assume no issue if I bring a 2nd car along, not to track but more that my wife will follow. We have a VW California ocean so seems perfect to me in that when not out driving I can relax in that, wife can chill if not out as a passenger and drink / eat etc

That's all I think !!

Thanks

phil4

Re: First track outing and basic questions

Post by phil4 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:57 pm

I think a lot of the above depends on how seriously you're taking it.

There's a guide on our website here: https://ariel.club/ariel-club-guide-to-uk-track-days/ that talks about trackdays, and is well worth a read.

Lets say it's your first ever track day, and you're not going to try and be the next Lewis Hamilton, so you're taking it easier and having fun.

In which case, you'll almost certainly not need new tyres, nor need to jack it up and change them.
Nuts, I'd check they're tight, but you don't need to do that there.... just do it before.
Nope, won't need new pads.
Check the oil and coolant, and top the oil up before you go. Likewise take something to deflate the tyres if you want.

Garage is handy if it's baking sun or raining, but other than somewhere to shelter the elements, it's not really needed.

Insurance, worth getting IMHO, REIS bundle in some days, but I'm sure you could get some.

2nd Car, yep, should be fine.

And even if you are going to push it more than I described above, I still doubt you'll need tyres, wheels etc. I say that because the Atom is very light, and so a lot less wear on brakes, tyres etc.

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:06 pm

Some good answers from @phil4 there.

For track insurance, I think my excess is 10% of the car's value and they will pay out up to a maximum of £50k so it'd still be a very expensive day out if the worst happened but might still be worth doing if you want the peace of mind.

Rooney1000

Post by Rooney1000 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:55 pm

No Lewis Hamilton, just for fun and to get to use some of the power in a safer environment !

Any recommendations for good tyre wrench set from anyone ? Oh and a jack for when I do need ?

Thanks for comments above, sounds like I should be ok !

PhilTimo

Post by PhilTimo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:41 pm

Thanks for posting this.
I'm doing my first car track day at Anglesey in June, and I'm defintely no Lewis Hamilton!
Ford Fiesta Van 1.6 Sport
Hyundai Tucson 1.6 N Line
Suzuki GSXR 1000
2016 Atom 3.5