Snetterton for the first time in the Atom and first time at Snetterton

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Anon

Snetterton for the first time in the Atom and first time at Snetterton

Post by Anon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:59 pm

*Brain dump on my recent first track event with Atom 4*

I had my first track outing with my new Atom 4 today and I have to say I am one happy camper. The car is so fast, the ZZR tyres that are rubbish on the road come into their own on the track when they started to melt.

This was also my first time at Snetterton even though it's my local track! can't believe I have never been here before, it has plenty of space so if you make mistakes (for the most part) you will likely not get punished.

2.17 was my best, to be honest I thought I could do better than this, so a little disappointed, not with the car, more driver skill and knowledge of the circuit, it's a little tricky and the Atom requires a certain driving skill. I had some driver tuition and if you have never done this it is recommended. I found Jeff at MSV brilliant. He will tell you the fastest lines of the circuit - given he has been doing this since 1997 I think he said he is in a good place to do so. He helped me with braking, I told him I think I could brake later than I was, he helped me with that on track in the car with hand gestures. There are some corners like Coram, in that you need to be in the middle of the road then cut to the right right before murrays 90 degree left hander is the fastest line. Then Riches off the main straight you can lose a lot of time here if you hit the first apex, your mind tells you do you you shouldn't, instead you take a wide line and it the last apex. It's little things like this. I need to get back there for more seat time. Jeff helped me with lines as well and not just for Snetterton this will help with all other circuits.

Temps wise, shockingly I was at 104c max temp. It was a very hot day today though (27c).

Tyre pressures I was at 16 psi front and 19 psi rear. I went out for sighting laps, got back, then went out for a 15-20 min session - not too hard just learning the track. When I got back to the pits I checked my tyre pressures and the front was 20 psi and rear around 25/25 psi. So of course I corrected this but shows what ambient temperature can do.

After every run I did a spanner check. I (for whatever reason check the wheel lug nuts, because it is something you can't see if they move). A couple of them did undue slightly, so I had my torque wrench with me (Atom 4 has 19mm lug nuts), and tightened them up to 100Nm.

Fuel wise I burnt though about 80 litres of the good stuff. I still don't know how many laps I did, but will look though the logging to see. But it was about 1 litre a lap. I actually ran out of fuel, so next time I will take more.

I will put together some video of this, although my main GoPro ran out of battery very quickly, I am not sure why, will investigate this. I have some other GoPro video but it's not great as it's from an original GoPro v1 device.
20200915_130012.jpg
20200915_130012.jpg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 1518 times
20200915_155733.jpg
20200915_155733.jpg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 1518 times
20200915_163550.jpg
20200915_163550.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 1518 times
20200915_082450.jpg
20200915_082450.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 1518 times
20200915_092046.jpg
20200915_092046.jpg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 1518 times
20200915_180143.jpg
20200915_180143.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 1518 times

robfitz

Re: Snetterton for the first time in the Atom and first time at Snetterton

Post by robfitz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 am

Might be some value in the uprated rad if tracking then? Was that temp on a cool down after a run or while you were on it? I had an electric water pump on the Elise so it could keep running at pace afterwards.

The lap timer add on looks pretty neat.

Good that you had some fun there 👍
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:01 am

That reading was after I came in, and after a cool down lap, maybe my cool down laps were not slow enough. Full throttle in 6th down the straights - I think if I remember correctly I managed to get close to 150mph, when at this speed you can see the temps climb to 100 and over at times. So yes if you are going to track it speak to the factory whether a sports radiator is a good idea. I get no where near this on the road, it was hot yesterday though.

EDIT: some more updates that I forgot to mention. The car without any doubt requires a load more front grip. If you push on corner exit it will wash out so I will add another degree or so of camber. The rear I had plenty of grip no problem at all. I had some rear lockups but adjusted using the brake bias. Also I think maybe I could do with a quick rack, not sure whether it would be too quick, steering feels like it could be faster. But these are all nick picks, tweaking to make it handle like I want it to. You need confidence in the car to drive it quickly, I am getting there with it but not quite there yet. One thing is for certain I don't need more power!

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:25 am

Awesome, sounds like a great day.

I've spec'd the upgraded radiator on mine - it'll be interesting to see what difference that makes. I was also considering the quick rack but a lot of my driving will be road use and having owned a Caterham with a quick rack, it made spirited driving pretty hairy on bumpy roads.

Looking forward to seeing some footage!

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 am

I thought this was funny. Here is my heart rate, you can see my device thought I was cycling during each session! haha heart rate peaked at 170bpm a few times on track. So the Atom gets the old ticker going...
Screenshot_20200916-072901_Connect.jpg
Screenshot_20200916-072901_Connect.jpg (170.05 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:35 am

I put together a short clip of my first ever time in an Atom on track in the first session - I have a few laps before the camera died - not sure what's up with it. Need a power connected camera.

Setup sheet - with notes are here: https://3oboxq.am.files.1drv.com/y4merp ... png?psid=1

These are the things I found will hopefully improve with the stock Atom 4 setup and our good friend Steve is helping me:

- more front camber - to give more steering
- more rear toe - to allow more exit on power steering
- tighter steering rack - stock one is way to slow
- tighter gear and gate selector - the stock bushings are made from jelly - I fixed this!

I found with the stock road setup, I just could not get on the power mid corner, it would wash out.

I would like to lower the ride height - but this will be difficult because it's not done via the pre-load on the shocks but the suspension arms and this changes roll centre.

Another thing I would like to play around with if the above doesn't make the car as pointy as I'd like is more caster to give more off power steering - can this be changed on the Atom? although this seems to be not bad at present on corner entry but I'm not pushing it too hard really. Then after this higher front roll centre and lower rear roll centre. This will suit my driving I think.

It's all fun this, I enjoy tinkering as much as driving it :roflp:
Last edited by Anon on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from generic Atom 4 video thread

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:08 pm

All good info here, thanks :)

I noticed from your setup sheet you've not got the AP Racing 2-Piece brakes. I assumed the 2-Piece brakes would have been the best for track work but I could be wrong?

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:08 pm

No worries, we don't seem to share more setups for whatever reason. There is plenty of talk about rebuilding engines etc but I don't care too much about that tbh, I let Ariel do that and the engine I have has more than enough power. I am interested in setting it up to handle correctly.

RE: brakes. The AP Racing brakes I have are faultless, I could brake at the end of the Bentley straight at 150mph down to about 60mph very very quickly with no brake fade, no spongy pedal lap after lap. The 2 piece are nice they would of been better if they were floating to save them. I am not sure how much weight savings you get from them but the price difference was significant and I'd rather spend the money saved here on other performance parts like the gear lever fix, quick rack, 350bhp upgrade etc. One thing I was glad about, I didn't need traction control haha :fence:

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:27 pm

Yeah I'm all ears for car setup to extract the most out of it. For me it's going to start with a whole bunch of driver training before I tweak stuff I reckon :laugh:

That's food for thought for me re the brakes - I'd just gone with the 2-Piece without giving it much thought but that might be cash to be saved.

Will be interested in what you make of the quick rack for road use. That's one option I decided against but if it's not too bad on the road then the quick rack might be a win for me :tu: