Setup sheets

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Anon

Setup sheets

Post by Anon » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:01 am

Do we have any setup sheets before I go and create one? specifically for Atom 4 but 3.5 and other Atoms fine also.

Anon

Re: Setup sheets

Post by Anon » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:39 am

I have created a v1 setup sheet. Given now I will start my tracking my Atom this is important - as my memory is not once what it was and I like to tinker. If there is anything missing let me know. Hope this is useful to others.

PNG file is available here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiAYBMq-hhN2hbcBmd8XB2MsamAt7g

Or you can download the PDF here:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AiAYBMq-hhN2hbcCxOX0bEmlHKtU3Q

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:46 pm

You do not need for engine and transmission the click fields - this are fix parameters. The same at Dampers type and Brakes type.
Add the temperature and cold/warm pressure at Tyres section.
Add weather section with different parameters.
Why only toe out at front?

Just my 2 cents. :checkeredflag:
Ariel Atom 3 [2010] Honda 2.0 K20Z4 with JacksonRacing SC only 370PS :H: - never, ever for sale
Abarth 595 Competizione [2016] - now my daughters car
Porsche 718 Spyder [11/2019] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb3-aNuZzQ

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

The idea of having fixed parameters like seq gearbox, 350bhp etc. is so that when people post up their lap times you know their configuration and setup. Also it allows you to track your progress. For example when I move to a seq gearbox I may be 1s a lap faster, using a setup sheet allows you to log and record any little changes you make including the big ones. This is the idea.

A couple things is missing, weather - ambient temp, sports radiator, wing settings.
Curves Junkie wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:46 pm Why only toe out at front?
Toe out on the front, because I can't imagine you would want more toe in - this will give you more under steer. This is my first Atom so I could be wrong here for the Atom specifically, but normally you want (if anything) on the front, toe out, it should give you more steering but make it harder to drive. Ariel will be increasing the front camber on my car, I think they tend to tweak the camber more than anything, I may get those adjustable wishbones at some point to make it easier to do this. The front feels too docile and not pointy enough, adding toe in will make it horrible in my view. To me it's a huge learning curve as it is my first Atom and this is all part of the fun for me! see if I can master it haha

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:36 pm

simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm The idea of having fixed parameters like seq gearbox, 350bhp etc. is so that when people post up their lap times you know their configuration and setup.
Correct. I thought the sheet will be only for your memory.
simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm A couple things is missing, weather - ambient temp, sports radiator, wing settings.
If there are too many parameters, you lose the overview.
simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm Toe out on the front, because I can't imagine you would want more toe in - this will give you more under steer. This is my first Atom so I could be wrong here for the Atom specifically, but normally you want (if anything) on the front, toe out, it should give you more steering but make it harder to drive.
Really or did you just hear that??

Now your first Ariel? And forum member since 2016
Or your first Atom 4?
simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm Ariel will be increasing the front camber on my car, I think they tend to tweak the camber more than anything
The Ariel factory make a good job.
Maybe it might be a good idea to do your own research to understand the vehicle geometry.
simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm I may get those adjustable wishbones at some point to make it easier to do this.
Let your money in your pocket at the moment. You can buy them in few years when you need the short steps in setting.
simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm The front feels too docile and not pointy enough, adding toe in will make it horrible in my view.
I don't nothing about the new AA4 but for my AA3 your comment is not true.
simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm To me it's a huge learning curve as it is my first Atom and this is all part of the fun for me! see if I can master it
I had bought my AA3 in 2016 and now I am fittling since 2 years about my car setup, because the car conditions were terrible, difficult to drive.
Nobody can help me here in Germany about my Atom. Really nobody because "normal" Racing car are not be comparable.
So learning by changing one parameter only - test drive - changing again ...
And so one.
Now my Atom setup is perfect for me.
I have never been as fast as now. :vroom:
P8310055.jpg
P8310055.jpg (797.79 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
Ariel Atom 3 [2010] Honda 2.0 K20Z4 with JacksonRacing SC only 370PS :H: - never, ever for sale

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:53 pm

Curves Junkie wrote: Correct. I thought the sheet will be only for your memory.
My idea here is to have people post up their sheets for what works and what doesn't along with lap times. So we have a "database" of knowledge or tried and tested settings if you will. Of course they can be used to help you as well.
Curves Junkie wrote: If there are too many parameters, you lose the overview.
Totally, keeping it to 1 sheet is the goal.
simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm Toe out on the front, because I can't imagine you would want more toe in - this will give you more under steer. This is my first Atom so I could be wrong here for the Atom specifically, but normally you want (if anything) on the front, toe out, it should give you more steering but make it harder to drive.
Curves Junkie wrote: Really or did you just hear that??
I know this from knowing how to set cars up.
Curves Junkie wrote: Now your first Ariel? And forum member since 2016
Or your first Atom 4?
Both. Ordered Atom in 2017.
simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm Ariel will be increasing the front camber on my car, I think they tend to tweak the camber more than anything
Curves Junkie wrote: The Ariel factory make a good job.
Maybe it might be a good idea to do your own research to understand the vehicle geometry.
What do you mean here?
Curves Junkie wrote:
simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm I may get those adjustable wishbones at some point to make it easier to do this.
Let your money in your pocket at the moment. You can buy them in few years when you need the short steps in setting.
I took the car out on track today and it is blindingly quick, epic even, I am very very happy. I will write a separate post on this/learnings etc. But it definitely needs the front to be more pointy, if you lean on it, it will wash out no matter what you do.
Curves Junkie wrote:
simonrhart wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm The front feels too docile and not pointy enough, adding toe in will make it horrible in my view.
I don't nothing about the new AA4 but for my AA3 your comment is not true.
As mentioned above toe in on the front would make this awful. I will ask the factory about adding tow out and their advice here.
To me it's a huge learning curve as it is my first Atom and this is all part of the fun for me! see if I can master it

I had bought my AA3 in 2016 and now I am fittling since 2 years about my car setup, because the car conditions were terrible, difficult to drive.
Nobody can help me here in Germany about my Atom. Really nobody because "normal" Racing car are not be comparable.
So learning by changing one parameter only - test drive - changing again ...
And so one.
Now my Atom setup is perfect for me.
I have never been as fast as now. :vroom:
P8310055.jpg
Nice, looks like you have gullwing doors! This is exactly why we need setup sheets for people to share! :tu:

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am

It's a top idea to make one setup sheet.
I know nothing about the new AA4 I read here at forum that this is a complete new and different car too the older versions. So can not say anything about car setting at AA4. I do not want to say anything wrong.

About toe I only can say that my experiences are divergent at AA3.

Damn, NO my AA3 have no gullwing doors. It's a special OPEL (Vauxhall) Speedster with >350 PS standing behind my Ariel.
This doors are useless weight.

YannickFr

Post by YannickFr » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:59 am

Hi, this is my last trackday:
Atom_4_setup_sheet_v1.pdf
(305.21 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks for the setup sheet. How do you find toe out on the front compared to 0 degrees? also interested in those yoko slicks. Seems a lot of the US guys run Hoosier.

Here is mine - largely stock road setup: https://3oboxq.am.files.1drv.com/y4merp ... png?psid=1

YannickFr

Post by YannickFr » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Well, it doesn't mean anything if rear toe is different.
On the Front, i have what Ariel recommands, and i think it's fine. On the road and with no camber, maybe toe 0 is ok, i don't know. I try once but never pleased me.
I have less toe than ariel preconizes on rear, and my car turns very quickly. It's a bit tricky at high speed corners, but never dangerous. I have slicks and big camber too.
But this set up is my best so far, now i have to find the best for ohlins that i have just bought.(only one track).
Here is 2 videos, the first one with bilstein 10 position, track springs. The second one, on a big F1 track, with Ohlins.