Rough track fuel usage on Atom 4

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Anon

Rough track fuel usage on Atom 4

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi all,

For those that have run on track with Atom 4 what sort of fuel consumption are you getting? Normally I get through 1 litre per lap in other cars but this is the first time in the Atom. So normally a single session 20 mins is approx 20 litres for a big track like Snetterton.

I can then plan how much fuel to take. I was thinking of taking 80 litres with me or 4 green cans.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Rough track fuel usage on Atom 4

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:21 pm

On the '3' S/C, a rough estimate would be around 9 mpg on track depending on how 'bad' your driving style was ..

Most folk would nip out at lunch time to the nearest garage that sold 99 octane ..

When the 38 litre tank showed empty, the most you could normally cram in was 25 litres - driving it on the road on empty gave you more adrenalin than driving on track with the Halford's-updated Fiestas !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 am

You won't get through as much as that in the Atom.

A full tank and 60 litres has been easily enough at every track day in the 4 so far, including Snetterton.

Taking 80l is a good shout though as Dr Palmer knows how to charge for fuel!

Cheers,
Stu

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks all.

Every track is a rip off for fuel. I will take 60l of the good old V-Power with me. I am a bit heavy under foot so may get through it! :roflp:

I am still trying to figure out when the tank is actually empty, I saw a Atom 4 screen shot not long ago and the dash read -15% of fuel left or something like that. We almost need a simple measuring stick or transparent fuel tank would be cool.

lancecrobinson

Post by lancecrobinson » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:09 pm

105 track miles yesterday consumed about 35 litres, so 3 litres per mile. That was Silverstone GP. The digital gauge is a bit erratic when the fuel is low and sloshing about! I came in just about on empty and it crept up to 15% in the pitlane.

I also found that the car only takes about 25 litres so there must be a fair bit in reserve sitting in the bottom of the tank!

It also runs a little hot with temperature creeping into the red (Temperature numbers turn red a little over 100 Deg) so I limited myself to short runs.

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:53 pm

You mean 0.33 litres per mile or 1.22 litres per lap given Silverstone GP is 3.66 miles. That's about what I have seen in other cars so not too bad actually. Just over 1 litre per lap - for the big tracks.

The temp is a cause for concern though, I have not seen mine climb that like even when I am giving the car a good thrashing on the road (where safe, NDR mostly is really the only place to do it) - but not yet been on the track. The car does run rich though, I think all Atoms do?

Have you got the ZZR tyres? if so how did they work.

lancecrobinson

Post by lancecrobinson » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Of course that's 3 miles per litre - I will not mention were I got my maths degree!

I was not too concerned about the high temperature readings. It was a fairly warm day and the temperature only just squeaked into the red and soon dropped back. This could depend on where the temperature sensor is in the water system and whether it has ever been calibrated. There was clearly nothing wrong with the motor (145 mph and still pulling on Hangar straight).

As for the ZZR tyres, they seemed very good. High grip and predictable. In fact I was very surprised at the overall level of grip of the car. I don't however, have any relevant benchmarks. The last thing I drove at Silverstone had slicks and wings so I have experienced more grip. The track was also resurfaced last year and is very smooth, and I understand it is a grippy surface too.

Badders

Post by Badders » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:05 pm

I've found temperatures nudging into the red on occasion on track too. I don't believe it's anything to be concerned about.

My experience with the ZZR tyres on track has been very good indeed. Predictable. Take a good lap and a half to get hot though, I felt.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Problem is if the engine is getting too hot you are going to dramatically lose the performance of it. Maybe the bigger radiator is required. I will check my car next week on track and report back with all the data, this is all logged in the dash which is cool.

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:10 am

simonrhart wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:00 pm Hi all,

For those that have run on track with Atom 4 what sort of fuel consumption are you getting? Normally I get through 1 litre per lap in other cars but this is the first time in the Atom. So normally a single session 20 mins is approx 20 litres for a big track like Snetterton.

I can then plan how much fuel to take. I was thinking of taking 80 litres with me or 4 green cans.
I use about 20 liters in 20 minutes as well, but I'm at 395whp and supercharged (more inefficient). Sounds to me like you're running really rich. Do you have a catalytic converter? Some tunes just toss fuel out the exhaust to save the cat's life. That could explain it.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:18 pm

I dont get it, dont uk tracks just have fuel stations on the premises???

I dont know of a single track without (multiple) fuel stations and always premium brands

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:23 pm

speedmachine wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:18 pm I dont get it, dont uk tracks just have fuel stations on the premises???
It's much cheaper to take your own fuel and I like Shell V Power, you don't always get Shell at the circuit.

Carl

Post by Carl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:05 pm

May be a (slightly) dumb question, but if driving the car to the track do you strap some jerry cans in the passenger seat, or just rely on nipping out for fuel every time? Guessing I'd only need to fill up once or possibly twice during the day. How extreme is the fuel price at the tracks (UK) usually, more than motorway prices?

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Carl wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:05 pm May be a (slightly) dumb question, but if driving the car to the track do you strap some jerry cans in the passenger seat, or just rely on nipping out for fuel every time? Guessing I'd only need to fill up once or possibly twice during the day. How extreme is the fuel price at the tracks (UK) usually, more than motorway prices?
My wife follows in the "tow" car with jerry cans tucked up inside - when I get a trailer I will actually tow the Atom. The tracks often have the higher octane stuff like 102 at Silverstone but you pay a big premium for it. Can't remember now but it changes all the time.

You can get away with 2 20 litre jerry cans in the Atom. Place one on the passenger seat and the other on the floor - you need to make sure you wrap it up as not to damage your car.

revvhappy

Post by revvhappy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:59 pm

If you're worried about fuel consumption, don't ever switch to E85 (high ethanol) fuel.

During my first track day at Road Atlanta I was mystified when my Brammo Ecotec started running poorly before the end of a 30 minute session. It's running a 2.8 pulley, 60lb injectors, and HPTuner software. I love the power (315hp/290tq) and the lower IAT temps from the cooling effect of the alcohol, but the car was consistently running 25 miles (10 laps) before showing signs of fuel starvation. I'll be going back to a gasoline tune before my next track day. 25 miles using 7.5 gallons (28 liters) of corn juice is crazy.