How loud is the sports exhaust?

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Chriscov88

How loud is the sports exhaust?

Post by Chriscov88 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:49 pm

I got given the sports exhaust when I picked up my atom. The previous owner removed it and went back to stock as he decided it was too loud. Im wondering wether to fit it but don't want to if it's going to cause trouble at tracks like Bedford, snetterton etc.

Does any one know roughly how loud they read on a static test?

Thanks

autobackup

Re: How loud is the sports exhaust?

Post by autobackup » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Boy racer too loud!!

It gives me a headache - personally I much prefer purposeful and quiet to something that sounds like a f**t in a tunnel!!

If you do a search of this forum under 'Sports exhaust' you will discover that there is virtually no circuit in the the UK where it is currently acceptable for track use!!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:12 pm

Autobackup is right.

Most of the track day noise limits are circa 100 - 105dba, measured from 1m away at ~45 degrees, they ask for 75% revs, but you'll be maxed at about 4500 (before the static limiter kicks in and bounces it around... more noise, so avoid that!).

I tried measuring the same way with the sports on, and it was hitting 120dba.... granted different measuring equipment, and different eyeballs (I've no idea whether they look for the max, or min or whether they generously knock some off).

The stock exhaust is usually just under 100dba, and so works well for tracks. I've only been to a few, but never had any problems with it.

That being said, I much prefer the sports exhaust when driving, I find the stock exhaust very droney... and does my head in. The sports exhaust, much nicer, no drone... and have been to le-mans and back with it twice and no bother with the police or my ears.

So in my world, with the 3.5, I have both... one I have to use for trackdays (Stock), and one I have on the rest of the time (Sports). Luckily it's a 10 minute one man easy job to change - I'm so in awe of how easy Ariel made it to change. You litterly undo the bolts (5 in all), and it just hangs there, ready for you to sort out the nuts/bolts/washers put the spanner down, and then you just lift it off and put it away. New one the reverse. Easier than changing a wheel!

Chriscov88

Post by Chriscov88 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. If I can't do track days with the sports exhaust on then its a bit pointless changing it over really. Any idea what the going rate is for a second hand one?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:32 pm

Chriscov88 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:37 pm Thanks for the replies. If I can't do track days with the sports exhaust on then its a bit pointless changing it over really. Any idea what the going rate is for a second hand one?
Each to their own I guess... but I wouldn't personally say that. Yes I do trackdays, in which case I put the normal exhaust on. But I also do plenty of road miles, and so the sports exhaust is on for that.

If you spend 99% of your time on track or close to that - yes I agree, makes sense. If it's much less clear cut, it really is just a 10 minute, 1 person job to switch between them. Only you will know.

Kai

Post by Kai » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 am

I'd be interested if you want to sell it.
PM me, ok?
Kai