Wets

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Winmoz

Wets

Post by Winmoz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:10 pm

So what’s the recommended set up for track driving in the wet? Have tried to avoid it, but having had my first fully wet session at Silverstone today, I have to say, it could have gone better.

I found it tough to modulate braking effectively, ending up braking longer and softer to avoid lock, and feeding in the power from the apex.
I know the trick is to keep it all smooth, but I was getting passed by milk floats out there. On radials.
Anyone running a wet track tyre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom

phil4

Re: Wets

Post by phil4 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:22 pm

What tyres are you on? If you're on an AD08R or similar then you've gone about as "wet" as is reasonable.

If you're on the more track focused A048 then I can see why you were having so much fun.

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Was on the AO48s. Have to say that have far less wet “feel” than the 888s I used to run on my Seven (I know some of that is down to engine layout/balance etc but honestly it was like driving on ice out there today).

It wasn’t the surface, as others were able to find grip, so it was my lack of commitment, courage, skill etc being compounded by a distinct lack of confidence in the contact patch.

#BananAtom

phil4

Wets

Post by phil4 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:42 pm

The AD08R are much better in the wet. Not epic, but also not epic on track.

I’d recommend a set for the colder wetter months.

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:03 pm

After today’s “challenging” drive, I may well investigate a set of winter wheels/tyres for the odd days that the weather makes play possible.

#BananAtom

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Alex has a set of wets. Otherwise Ad08's would be better.

A048's in the wet are rubbish. With a charger I was getting wheel spin in 5th in a dead straight line @ Combe down the straight in the rain. Amusing for a while but ultimately frustrating IMO.

TBF A048s are not designed for use in the rain.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Yup I have a set of the old Atom Cup competition Yoko wets but since buying them after a wet Brands session I've not needed to use them! Lol. Still untouched in the garage! They are proper full wets though. Reckon they would be superb...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Get some snow tyres and bide your time [mention]Winmoz[/mention].

You'll be lapping Land Rovers come February.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:19 pm

I did a few wet trackdays on the A048s in my previous Atoms.....absolutely lethal imho. Those on 888s always said they had much more grip/feel. But on the 48s they could never warm up and just had no grip whatsoever. I found it miserable.

I did Silverstone back then with a friend in a 2-11 and we both did one session and went home ! Both on 048s and neither of us could find enough grip to really drive at all.

T

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Glad it wasn’t just me being a total plank. I just couldn’t find any corner speed and then had to be so careful in the breaking zone to avoid locking up and aquaplaning off the end of the straight that I just gave up.

#BananAtom

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:35 pm

You need full wets, basically. And that can logistically be a PITA if you’re driving without a trailer etc.

Even if you arrive in your own car with wets on, it’s really not much fun come home time. Getting there is bearable but once the day is done, driving home on wets in the rain is hard work. And miserable. Oh & dangerous..

Cheers,
Hedge

Razzele

Post by Razzele » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:20 am

I’ve found that the Kumho V70a supersoft fronts /soft rears are really very good in the wet and the best bit is they are road legal too. Huge huge huge improvement on the other trackday focused tyres that Ive tried in the wet- A048s / 52s / r888s / DZ03Gs / Avon ZZRs.

I’m yet to try proper racing tyres in any variety wets / cut slicks /intermediates etc but since a driveshaft snapped on a lowly semi slick on a wet track, nearly losing a wheel at high speed in the process i dont think i’ll up the ante any more !