Hill climbing in the Atom

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Kai

Hill climbing in the Atom

Post by Kai » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:18 am

Hi guys
Hope all are well.

I attended Gurston Down hill climb yesterday. I've been doing this for years in different cars I've owned and still enjoy the short time rush.
Yesterday the track was wet all morning and rain was forecasted for lunch time so wasn't really hopeful of any decent time.

However, despite being in the Roadgoing Specialized car class, I wasn't allowed to run as I failed scrutineering.
They wouldn't let me run on safety grounds due to no side panels (in case of arm out or tree in) and the brake reservoir not being enclosed (brake fluid on floor or pedals not good).

I really wasn't that disappointed as I say due to the conditions, but I was surprised at the scrutineering.

Has anyone else competing had similar? I know the Atom Cup racers had side panels but never heard that they had to - or the brake reservoir stuff....

I guess the factory will have panels and a box of some kind, but they'll be expensive and I don't know if it's worth it or even looking locally to see if they can be made up with Perspex or similar....

Cheers Kai

Razzele

Re: Hill climbing in the Atom

Post by Razzele » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:15 pm

I failed scrutineering for a Sprint session as the roll over protection was deemed insufficient, hence my post in the for sale / wanted section!

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Re: Hill climbing in the Atom

Post by Steve Gibson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:20 am

We did hill climbing at Prescott Speed Hill Climb in 2011 and the scrutes didn't disallow any Atoms as far as I know. It was timed but not competitive (...much). Which may be the deciding factor.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.