Track day n00b - tyre pressures and suspension settings ??

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Paul Bancroft

Re: Track day n00b - tyre pressures and suspension settings ??

Post by Paul Bancroft » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:51 pm

[quote="vernonjones"]
I am £450 a day and I supply data, video and Radio comms for that. For an additional £200 I can bring my Atom mechanic along and do some settings changes trackside. You pay for your own track fees of course.

So if we aimed for 4-5 people that seems manageable.
[/quote]

Having some tuition off this man is definitely worth the money, i have had a number of days with him in the Atom and can say this is the best thing you can spend your money on before any mods, tyre pressures and a few suspension tweeks also improve the Atom but a day of tuition is the best way to get the most from your car you will be surprised how much more speed and time is left in the car..cant recommend him enough  :vroom: :checkeredflag:

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:03 pm

Yeah could certainly be up for a bit of track time with Martin. Not sure when though as I'm fairly flat out at the moment. Count me in though.

1.phil4?
2. Peter255
3. Alex BS
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:30 am

Ill start a new thread.

Paul Donkin

Post by Paul Donkin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:38 pm

[quote="vernonjones"]
I have done it all. Settings that work on track to the best of the Atom ability:

14F/13.5R PSi Cold.

F 1mm Toe out across axle - 1.o Camber
R 2mm Toe in across axle - 4.5o Camber
[/quote]

THIS  :tu:

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Could you explain why you quote COLD tyre pressures? Surely its the HOT pressures that are relevant, as two people starting with the same cold pressures but driving completely different (say one slow and one fast) will generate different HOT tyre temps? I would have thought cold tyre temps are irrelevant, other than for a starting point to aim for hot readings when the tyres are actually up to temp and working  ???

I happily bow to your years of experience though, so if I'm just being thick I would appreciate you educating me  :) ;D
Atom 3 300

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi all.

There are many reasons why we do cold but it is the same with hot.

If hot then how many cool down laps did you do? What was the track temperature? Without good logging equipmemt its had to use hot.

In reality there are a guide only. Racers will often get the tyre SPREAD hotter but noviced will often get the surface hotter.

Use the above as a baseline ando what feels good. Ultimate pace can be found with the above settings.