What tires on track @ 5 degrees C

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
LimaSierra

What tires on track @ 5 degrees C

Post by LimaSierra » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi all,

Some advice is needed...

Next week I have a trackday at Assen (NL). Weather is forecast (for now) to be around +5 degrees C with a small chance of some rain. I know it's nuts, but I like the track and unfortunately this is the only trackday at Assen this year with the company I normally use (as they are the only ones in the Netherlands at the moment that have the option to insure your car on track).

Now I'm not sure what tires to put on the car. I have two sets of wheels, 1 with AD08's and 1 with A048 fronts and R888 rears.

What tires would you use for the trackday. I had a previous trackday at Assen with temperatures around 10C and some rain and I had an absolute blast with the tracktires (A048/R888 combo), but now I'm not sure if maybe the AD08's are better in the colder temperatures?

Looking forward to your input.

Pieter

Bruce Fielding

Re: What tires on track @ 5 degrees C

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Winter tyres?

The compounds are stickier at lower temperatures.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:36 pm

The magic number seems to be (generally) about 7ˆC. Below this, winters work best, above, summers. This is, of course, for street tires, street use and fairly static (ambient) tire temps. Despite spirited driving, you may find the wet conditions keep tire temps fairly low. A temperature gun might come in handy for you, to see what you're getting on the day.

LimaSierra

Post by LimaSierra » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks for your replies, however as I'm not planning to drive too often in these kind of temperatures I'm not going to buy winter tires, so from the choice I have, would you suggest the AD08's or the R888/A048. I'm now leaning towards the Ad08's as I think the compound is better suited for the colder temperatures even though the R888/A048's normally perform a lot better on (dry) tracks.

I guess not a lot of data is available on these tires on such lightweight cars on track...  ???

A well, I'll look at it as a win/win situation either way; wrong tires will give me some nice oversteer fun, good tires will give me a go at my personal best lap time  :vroom:

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:59 am

I have 2 sets of wheels, one with AO48s and one AD08s.......I use the AD08s as my "winter" set as they seem better in the cold and definitely better in the wet.