Spa trackdays

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Paul Bancroft

Spa trackdays

Post by Paul Bancroft » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:39 pm

I have been to Spa on a number of trackdays over the past few years, the only thing is I have always driven there and back in the car I have been on track with.
I am wanting to take the atom over in 2015 but want to trailer it over, but my concern is parking the trailer and the security of the car and trailer at the hotel. I usually stay at the Radison in Spa town centre but their parking isn't really suitable has anyone trailered their cars over if so , can you recommend stop over points which are trailer friendly and also any hotels around Spa which are trailer freindly or whether their is storage at the track.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

wasp

Re: Spa trackdays

Post by wasp » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:47 am

Hi Paul,

Being a complete baby, I only ever trailer to Spa, plus It's really hard to eat several bags of jelly babies with a helmet on in an Atom!

The Radison at the top of town has a good size car park and can easily accommodate a car & trailer.

My preference these days is the La Source. There's lots of space along the road to park a car & trailer and I've never had a problem there. I also like being close to the circuit, especially if you arrive early the day before and there's a race on! The restaurant is good if pricey but at least you can chill out and kick back.

Malmedy is an easy 10 min drive along some great roads if you do want more restaurant choice.

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:03 am

[quote="wasp"]
My preference these days is the La Source. There's lots of space along the road to park a car & trailer and I've never had a problem there. I also like being close to the circuit, especially if you arrive early the day before and there's a race on! The restaurant is good if pricey but at least you can chill out and kick back.
[/quote]

+1 on that.

I have also trailered and stayed at La Source. They don't have a problem with leaving the trailer in the car park, and it's pretty secure, since there are always flashier trailers than mine to nick (not that they get taken...). It's a nicer hotel than the Raddison and the rooms are reasonable. I disagree about the food though... It's  rubbish.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Paul Bancroft

Post by Paul Bancroft » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks guys,

I'll look into those hotels, last time I went to the Radison Just outside Spa - I think it's the balmoral ! the car park was really full and would definitely not have got a trailer in there, I'll take a packed lunch then I have a back up if the food isn't upto much.

Any more advice would be greatly received.

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:20 am

I've promised myself Spa next year, with a trailer.  Watching this thread with interest!
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

Paul Bancroft

Post by Paul Bancroft » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:27 pm

What happens with trailers on the tunnel, I have seen motor homes in the larger carriages of the tunnel but never anything towed such as caravans or trailers, I have quite a wide trailer as I an sure does anyone else with an atom, be interesting to know.

Old Bill

Post by Old Bill » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi Guys

Have been to Spa twice and trailered both times. Brian James RS3 trailer @ 2.3m wide presents no problems on the train.
I stay at La Source, decent parking to the front of the Hotel and space in the car park if you get there in time. I leave the trailer in the pit garage overnight after the 1st day. I have booked May 11th & 12th with RMA @ £350 per day. and have requested a shared garage to reduce this extra cost, any one interested, it will be great to see a few Atoms this year, it's a truly fantastic circuit

Bill

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:34 am

Bill good to see you are back at Spa - might join you possibly in the Atom or an alternative if I elect to part company

[post time as I'm in DC not that I'm up at 3.30am UK]
Last edited by FlyingTrotter on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Bill

Post by Old Bill » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Good to hear from you Ian, hope to see you there again, I'm intrigued as to the potential alternative track car.

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:29 pm

Might keep it - was thinking I might hire something on a day by day basis as some great kit available these days - heck if it's £10k all in for a race weekend in the Atom Cup at Spa there's a lot of machinery available - then again that would be fun - should imagine that one will sell quickly despite the mega cost

AtomCup Peter

Post by AtomCup Peter » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:06 pm

Ian,

Thanks for mentioning the Atom Cup Spa round  :vroom:

We're there on 2-4 October, and at the moment at least one of the Atom Racing works cars is available, for quite a bit less than the £10k you quote (although we'd accept that if you like!).

The race is a two hour one, which probably means two refuelling stops so can be for one, two or three drivers sharing.

We're also doing three hour races at Rockingham in July and Donington in August if people want a warm-up, or the usual Atom Cup weekends of 2 or 3 twenty minute sprint races.

Inbox me if you'd like more details (peter.ferrigno@atomcup.com).