Pan Delta Circuit Hero Autumn 2014

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
fieldl

Pan Delta Circuit Hero Autumn 2014

Post by fieldl » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:50 am

Last weekend saw the season finale of the series I race with in China.
The Pan Delta Super Racing Festival is an annual event consisting of six races hosted in Zhuhai, China.  After the F1 it is one of the largest race events in Mainland China and most race weekends there are between 20,000-30,000 spectators and with the racing going out live a potential 15+ million TV viewers.  It's a great event that includes Formula Renault, Superbikes, Circuit Hero (Roadsports) and guest races.  Last weekend we had Formula Masters and the Lamborghini Super Trofeo out as well which was pretty cool.

I've really struggled with my gearbox all year combined with performance gains my competition had made had put me in 4th for Class C (Sub 2.0l) going into the last weekend.  Behind another Atom, Motorsport Elise and Honda FD2 but only just, 6 points separated 1st to 4th.

The week before the race I had a replacement engine fitted, I was lucky enough to be introduced to one of the race teams that came 2nd in China Touring Car race at Macau last year who were selling a blueprinted Group N spec FD2 engine so that was quickly bought, imported and fitted.  In the only testing session the week before we could see it was running too rich and needed mapping so I arranged for my tuner to get across to Zhuhai and do it on the Wednesday before the race.  Nothing is easy in China and everything needs importing including a chassis dynamic expert from the UK who we flew over in the Summer and my tuner who is Singapore based normally.

So we got the car on the dyno and starting the mapping on Wednesday.  Disaster soon struck, the tuner down shifted without the clutch twice thankfully not under full load but enough.....

That was a thousand dollar ACT clutch, note the was it certainly broke.  Thankfully nothing else seemed too.  So on Thursday my car was scrutineered sans clutch whilst I raced around HK looking for something.
Thankfully I found a local dealer with a Racing spec Ogura Racing Clutch, it cost more than my first three cars but it was perfect:
One sexy flywheel:

So within hours the engine was out, split, clutch fitted then back in again.  Ready for practice Friday morning.
I get out quite quickly in practice and on my second lap did 1:47.7 some 2.3 seconds than my best lap time ever, result things were looking good.  Then on the back straight the bolt holding the steering road arm snapped at 185kph, I thought I had bought the farm when the wheel worked it's way around the wishbones and only the wheel arch stopped it from coming over completely. 

The car was brought back to the pits on the low loader and looked a bit sorry for itself:

We got it stripped quickly and started searching for parts.  We managed to get both the upper and lower wishbones then went off to the local machine shop for a new control arm.  Purely metal fatigue had done the old one.  I'll be replacing all four corners before the 2015 race season.  Obviously I missed qualifying.......

Race 1 went well got a great start from dead last and ended up 5th overall by turn 1.  After some very very close racing with the other Atom I did end up winning the race.  First time ever so I was delighted.  We did have some very close wheel to wheel racing, literally we did clip each other once and I got called up in front of the stewards for direction changes.  Oops trying a bit too hard but the crowd loved it.  Trying to get the TV footage as it will be very good.

Race 2 went much better and I won again, winner the championship for class C as well.
Over the moon.  Anyway some pictures:

Team write up for race 2: http://www.tracktorque.com/en/news/12/201409/127.html
Team write up for race 1: http://www.tracktorque.com/en/news/12/201409/126.html

Video of race 2: http://youtu.be/kYY-mkMJdC8

NHolden

Re: Pan Delta Circuit Hero Autumn 2014

Post by NHolden » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:45 am

Fantastic result !!!

You must be over the moon !

It's great to see your tenacity paying off !!

Already looking forward to the 2015 season !

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:12 pm

Well done, that's great going!

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:49 am

Cheers.  Lot's to do for next season but looking forward to it already.

Onboard footage is now up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3URajSWE7_Q

NHolden

Post by NHolden » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:17 am

Loved the start! Bags of wheel spin around the merc - one hand on the wheel !! Sweet !

What happened to the other Atom (3:06) ??

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:58 am

The other Atom is run by a Japanese team based in Guangzhou called GTO they were kind enough to lend me the replacement front wishbones.  Unfortunately they suffered a near identical fault to the rear of their car, control arm failure.  Both cars have been racing for years and neither of us have ever had this before, metal fatigue and wear are to blame.

I wasn't too happy with my start I took about 1k too much that caused the amount of wheel spin you can see.  Normally quite a bit quicker but with the new flywheel I didn't want to risk bogging down or stalling.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:43 pm

:o What a start.....!! What a story too......You dont give up easy do you! Like it. :tu:

Atom

Post by Atom » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Any one notice the the middle finger at 1:26 in the blue atom?

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:13 am

We need to get you over here to do some Atom Cup racing. Great write up and a great story.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:03 am

I did talk to Tom when the series started about an Arrive and Drive event.
This years racing budget has gone on racing in Australia and doing the Funcup 25 hour at Spa.
That was an awesome event.  Maybe next year I'll get back to the UK, would love to get to Oulton or Brands again.
Will have to see what I can fit it around.