2013 Public Bumps at the Ring!!

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
wattie

2013 Public Bumps at the Ring!!

Post by wattie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:40 am

Turns a fun day into an expensive one!!!

Cheers Wattie

Touristenfahrten Nordschleife Crash Accident Unfall Compilation 2013 Nürburgring

fb.george

Re: 2013 Public Bumps at the Ring!!

Post by fb.george » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Makes me feel a whole lot better
Glad I am not the only one .......

Not Nurburgring but Goodwood last month. There isn't a lot of run off you know at Goodwood! Lesson learned
Keep smiling!!

wattie

Post by wattie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:05 am

Hope there wasn't too much damage.
Cheers Wattie

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 am

Where did you come off ? I must have driven Goodwood on about 30 odd times and spun a couple of times but luckily only at Woodcote where there is runoff. I know an Atom that went off at 130mph at Fordwater (right kink before No Name/St Marys complex). Luckily missed anything hard. Goodwood is fast and as you say, not much run off - those earth walls look very close at times !!!
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

fb.george

Post by fb.george » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Ran out of talent coming onto the Lavant straight. Was accelerating moderately out of the second Apex of Lavant corner, although clearly not moderately enough, when the back swapped ends on me. I had read how tricky and sudden it can be in greasy conditions - I found out.

I did a 180 spin and hit the nearside rear into the tyre wall/ bank on the inside of the circuit. Then the nearside front followed in. I hit before the kink, so if there was any luck it was that it happened at the start of the straight, as 4/5 seconds later through the kink could have been a different story.

I thought the damage wasn't that bad until the car got back to the factory...... Hey ho, I had a track policy to help.

There was another Atom there on the day, Atom X, reg plate. I didn't get much chance to talk to him but he mentioned this was his first track day since getting the car back after smashing it at Goodwood.

Most important thing no lasting injuries and metal gets repaired. In fact, with the 3.5 chassis upgrade and new LED lights, it will be better than new! ;D
Keep smiling!!

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:42 am

Yeah if you get on the power too early (in greasy conditions) after the 2nd Apex at Lavant it can happen - in the dry its easy but when damp/greasy/wet it can be very tricky. Its a classic Goodwood crash to then hit the inside there - seen a Lotus 2-11 roll which was nasty. There is just no time to react and as you say the Atom is pretty unforgiving.

Anyway sounds like there is a silver lining so hope you get the car back soon ! Atleast it is winter.

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:33 am

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear of your bump, but glad you're okay, even if your car isn't. Still, trying to be positive, it's a good time of the year to be off the road.

All the best, Paul

wattie

Post by wattie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
Yeah if you get on the power too early (in greasy conditions) after the 2nd Apex at Lavant it can happen - in the dry its easy but when damp/greasy/wet it can be very tricky. Its a classic Goodwood crash to then hit the inside there - seen a Lotus 2-11 roll which was nasty. There is just no time to react and as you say the Atom is pretty unforgiving.

Anyway sounds like there is a silver lining so hope you get the car back soon ! Atleast it is winter.

T
[/quote]
Triggers avatar looks like he's Spun it!!!
Cheers Wattie  ;)

fb.george

Post by fb.george » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 pm

:roflp:

Getting her back in January so that looks like a full salopettes and flying jacket 400 mile trip.... And a gentle one. But can't wait
Keep smiling!!