Quaife Sequential

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
fieldl

Re: Quaife Sequential

Post by fieldl » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:52 pm

You could move to full auto with auto blip and flatshift but would need to move to cable throttle and aftermarket ECU from the likes of Emerald, Pectel or Motec.  The throttle body from an Accord would do it by all accounts. 

Steering rack is standard my tyres were shot and couldn't get the car to turn in as I was carrying too much speed.

FlyPig

Post by FlyPig » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:07 pm

[quote="fieldl"]
You could move to full auto with auto blip and flatshift but would need to move to cable throttle and aftermarket ECU from the likes of Emerald, Pectel or Motec.  The throttle body from an Accord would do it by all accounts. 

Steering rack is standard my tyres were shot and couldn't get the car to turn in as I was carrying too much speed.
[/quote]

Thanks for the sharing info about installation of this gearbox. It very helpful for the people like me who planning to order the same one.
Could you inform please, what the gear ratio and final drive you got?
And what the maximum speed you have now?

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:38 pm

I went for the race ratio's so:
1st      2nd    3rd      4th    5th
2.417  1.611  1.263  1.000 0.852

With the 4.750 final drive.  All are straight cut so it's somewhat loud.
Maximum speed is a theoretical 149mph but apart from at Sepang in Malaysia I will never get up near there, the car runs out of go before then.

FlyPig

Post by FlyPig » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:06 am

I checked with gear ratio calculator for example here http://www.cargister.com/calculator-gear-ratio
It seems with 4.357 final drive you will get more max speed, at least if you run with 15" rear tires
What is the maximum speed you've reached anyway and what is the tire size you have?

[quote="fieldl"]
I went for the race ratio's so:
1st      2nd    3rd      4th    5th
2.417  1.611  1.263  1.000 0.852

With the 4.750 final drive.  All are straight cut so it's somewhat loud.
Maximum speed is a theoretical 149mph but apart from at Sepang in Malaysia I will never get up near there, the car runs out of go before then.
[/quote]
Last edited by FlyPig on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:09 am

So I entered a 3 hour endurance race in December.  I had a new clutch fitted a few days before the race.
Qualified 3rd behind a R500 Caterham with 2.3l cosworth duratec and a Lotus Motorsport Elise.  Got past the Elise on the rolling start and then the disasters started.  First of I had the oil changed after qualifying and it must have been overfilled as VTEC engagement was really sluggish.  My car engages at just over 4000 RPM but it just wouldn't pull until it got to 5000 losing me seconds a lap.  So I struggled on the Atom wasn't exactly designed for endurance racing and the fuel tank capacity is the limiting factor.  I had to come in at about 35 minutes rather than the 45 others could achieve which put my team at a bit of a disadvantage. 

About an hour in to the race the clutch detonated, picture attached.
It's totally destroyed, so it seems I can't make a stock Honda clutch last more than about 2 hours 30 minutes.  Possibly the new gearbox but more likely I'm not matching the revs well enough on the downshifts so the clutch springs and bearing take all the impact. 

So the plan is to do as I posted earlier I'm moving to a true aftermarket ECU either Pectel (Cosworth) or Motec still undecided as yet.  I have a Motec tuner in China and a Pectel tuner waiting to confirm his visit.  Either will work for me, personally I'd rather the Pectel but it really depends on the local support.

I've ordered an ACT clutch and flywheel and will get it all back together.
Seems like an opportune time to look at putting traction control on the car at the same time......
Attachments
2014-01-03 07.40.41.jpg

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:11 am

Solid centre clutch plate with no springs needed?
It must take a battering seeing how that is propper destroyed.
A bit more practice on the heel & toeing?
Hope all the new bits get it sorted.

Stew

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:45 am

I did consider an AP Racing fixed dual plate clutch or something similar.
However the clutch is the lowest cost component in the drive train to break, so I'd rather that than the bottom end or gearbox going bang.

Moving to full aftermarket engine management will enable full on flatshifts and engine speed matching on downshifts.
So it will take some of the strain out of the drive train, at the moment I'm doing clutchless shifts lifting on the upshift and blipping manually on downshifts but obviously not that well.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:29 pm

However the clutch is the lowest cost component in the drive train to break, so I'd rather that than the bottom end or gearbox going bang.

This is  a good idea - you are in a testing period with this setup and eliminating faults with a nice fuse like week point is the best way to go.

Respect for your attempt at an endurance race at this stage :tu: