Wet weather track tyres

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
l33haw

Wet weather track tyres

Post by l33haw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Iv got a Trackday booked in sunny Llandow this Saturday and the long range forecast is pretty tragic. So I was after some opinion on tyre choice.

Iv got AD08s on at the moment which have been great on rd and track, but I also have a spare set of rims with Toyo T1Rs on.

So my quandary is do I go with the T1Rs - Are they likely to be that much better in the wet? How will they perform on track if it drys out?

Or do i go with the AD08s which will be compromised if its wet all day (on a greasy castle Combe 1st session there was approx 0% grip, not sure how much of this was down to tyres or track surface tho), but obviously much better if it drys.

I'm driving the Atom to the track so can't take both.

All thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Richard Marler
Administrator

Re: Wet weather track tyres

Post by Richard Marler » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Given you are driving there and back, fit whatever you will feel most confident driving on the road. Driving on the road without grip is no fun at all, driving on track with no grip just makes learning a slower speed experience.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

fb.george

Post by fb.george » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:05 pm

I have had the recent pleasure of driving both in very wet conditions and it didn't seem to make a great deal of difference, as both aquaplaned like mad!
I did "feel" safer on the road because I had read that I would be with the T1R's on, so in my head it was better - the AO48's being supposed to aquaplaned on any standing water.
But they both did it, I think as there is so little weight on the front.

I could notice a difference on a dry road so if you are an optimist, take the AO48's
Keep smiling!!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:30 pm

Go with the slippiest tyres you can, and learn how to left foot brake.

You'll never have so much fun at such slow speeds and learn so much as you can on crap tyres in the wet.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:29 am

I've only ever used T1R's once on track and they were terrible. Maybe they weren't at the correct pressure. What pressure would be best to use the on track?

I've got my first set of AD08's coming today and I'll be trying them out at Oulton Park on the 11th so can't comment until then.

Darren

Matt_E

Post by Matt_E » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:38 am

On the road, even in torrential conditions, I had much more confidence in the A048 than the T1R in terms of feel and predictability.  No doubt I was driving slower in the A048's through standing water, but comparatively, I was much happier with them than the T1R.

My opinion on track is probably not worth the paper it is written on.  One below freezing damp Oulton Park on T1R's - horrible.  One dry Brands Hatch on A048's - fantastic.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 am

I have found that 048s in the wet on the road are ok - they are useless on track. I was assuming the AD08s would be better on a wet track than 048s....

Personally I wouldnt use the T1Rs anywhere as you still wont get any front end grip on them on a wet track and if even a dry line appears the AD08s will atleast get a little heat and then be alot better I would imagine.

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks fellas. You've confirmed what I was thinking (hoping - as I can't really be arsed to get the spare rims and tyres out the shed and change).

You have reminded me actually how unpredictable the T1Rs can be. I used them on the rd through last winter (only a few hundred miles) and even though I didn't push at all, you wouldn't wanna trust them!

I'm actually looking forward to a wet Trackday (although will be a little annoying to not be the fastest thing out there), as Bruce said its a chance to learn more than possible in the dry. Just gotta keep it out the barrier!

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:45 am

I use 195 45 r15 Avon CR500s in wet weather on 15" rims all round.  I think that they are better through standing water than the r888s that I use in the dry. 

Doing this does require a second set of rims though and I guess that in fitting 15" rims to the back I am changing the geometry a bit - not that I'd notice a difference!

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:45 am

Sorry to clarify this just on track.  I leave the r888s on the car on the road.