On Board Cameras - Go Pro Hero HD

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Chris Johnson

On Board Cameras - Go Pro Hero HD

Post by Chris Johnson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:25 pm

I've been toying with the idea of mounting an on board video camera this season and the camera of choice for sports of all sorts seems to be the Go Pro Hero HD, however the roll bar mount gets some pretty bad PR on the web, anyone got any experience of the camera and any advice on mounting it on the car?

l33haw

Re: On Board Cameras - Go Pro Hero HD

Post by l33haw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Allot has been discussed here http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,8680.120.html

I'm hopefully getting a GoPro HD in a couple of weeks and have several RAMMOUNT mounts dotted around the car, plus plan on using a sticky clip on my helmet too. I'll post my experiences.

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks, have looked up Ram Mount on the web and they seem to have quite a range, are you planning on mounting yours on the roll bar? You are probably aware but for track days any camera must be securely mounted so i doubt the helmet option would be acceptable. Look forward to further updates in due course.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:06 pm

[quote="Chris Johnson"]
Thanks, have looked up Ram Mount on the web and they seem to have quite a range, are you planning on mounting yours on the roll bar? You are probably aware but for track days any camera must be securely mounted so i doubt the helmet option would be acceptable. Look forward to further updates in due course.
[/quote]

We could probably do with a camera mount thread on the forum, I'll take some pics next time I'm with the car and start one. Mine are a mix of bolted mounts, and jubilee clip types.

As for helmet, I'd imagine the gopro sticker mounts would be fine on track as motox riders use them all the time with no issues. I also remember seeing on here a vid at Brands from a club member with a suction mount on top of his helmet too.

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Good plan re the pics, I've checked with Ariel and currently nothing is offered by the factory so it does sound as though we are in to DIY mounts at this stage therefore any advice/pics would be most useful.

DonnyMac

Post by DonnyMac » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Here's the clamp that I bought - it's excellent and as it has a ball joint so you're not limited by the standard GoPro mounting.

You'll be needing one of these -

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/super-clamp-ball-and-socket.html

...and don't forget this -

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/gopro-tripod-thread-mount.htm

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Great advice, many thanks, have spoken to the guys at Dog Cam Sport and they were really helpful....have bought the system with the additions you suggested.......and pre-ordered the new remote control that comes out Mid March!

julian

Post by julian » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:29 am

Steve Gibson on here designed a mount and got someone to make them. PM him and I am sure he will point you in the right direction.

Regards

Julian

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks for the info, will see what turns up from Dog Cam Sport in the morning and try that on the car, good to have a back up plan.

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:32 pm

I use the dogcam mount (screw thread, ball and socket and clamp) which is excellent

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:52 pm

[quote="DonnyMac"]
Here's the clamp that I bought - it's excellent and as it has a ball joint so you're not limited by the standard GoPro mounting.

You'll be needing one of these -

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/super-clamp-ball-and-socket.html

...and don't forget this -

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/gopro-tripod-thread-mount.htm

[/quote]

Just had my one arrive from DogCam yesterday with the superclamp. It's a Manfrotto clamp with a few added extras and it's a great bit of kit (as a photographer I've used some crap clamps before!). Ed at DogCam sorted everything...loads of advice and all good too and reckons these clamps are bombproof (seems it).

A word of warning, avoid www.GoProStore.co.uk (currently on Facebook a lot), I almost ordered from them but they couldn't get the stock in time. Glad though because they are apparently grey importers with only 1 year warranty so be warned!

Can't wait to get the GoPro on the car. Best get the car first though eh!  :vroom:
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Sounds like the jobbie I got from Dogcam - just fitted it to the car in readiness for Silverstone on Saturday - any excuse to mess about with the car !

I am going to try some neoprene to protect the car as the clamp is very powerful and I suspect it could damage the paintwork

glyn430

Post by glyn430 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:24 pm

[quote="Veldung"]
There is a short video with my GoPro
Virginia International Raceway - Ariel Atom 3 Supercharged and Atom Specs Racer - February 2012
[/quote]
nice video, which editing software did you use?
glyn

Veldung

Post by Veldung » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:11 pm

[quote="Glyn"]
[quote="Veldung"]
There is a short video with my GoPro
Virginia International Raceway - Ariel Atom 3 Supercharged and Atom Specs Racer - February 2012
[/quote]
nice video, which editing software did you use?
glyn
[/quote]

Its Studio 15 from Pinnacle!