Track set up

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Track Boy

Track set up

Post by Track Boy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi all

My Atom 3 300 was at factory camber settings of 0 fronts and 1.5 rears, I have adjusted the fronts to 1.5 and left the rears as they are. I intend to use it with Pirelli slicks. Is this enough angle, I have seen a couple of guys running with 3 front and rear?
I want the car to handle high speed corners well, the car is only for track use.

Should I ajust the ride height down, if so by how much?

Will I need a baffled sump?

Thanks

wasp

Re: Track set up

Post by wasp » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:42 pm

I can't help you with the camber settings ( I suggest pm to John Hamilton) but definitely need a baffled sump if running slicks, oil starvation could be a serious issue if you don't.

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 pm

[quote="wasp"]
I can't help you with the camber settings ( I suggest pm to John Hamilton) but definitely need a baffled sump if running slicks, oil starvation could be a serious issue if you don't.

Cheers,

Stu
[/quote]

as could be upgraded uprights/bearings if not fitted already?

Track Boy

Post by Track Boy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks for the advice Wasp

Stew, what would the sump and the uprights cost? I believe the factory charge in the region of £990 plus £300 fitting for the uprights?

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:39 pm

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
[quote="wasp"]

Cheers,

Stu
[/quote]

as could be upgraded uprights/bearings if not fitted already?
[/quote]

Absolutely agree, you'd be lucky to last a day with bearings  running hard on standard uprights.

Even then I believe John H wore some out with the new uprights. That said his were prototypes and he is a nutter.

The new uprights are a vast improvement though and will allow a higher degree of camber.

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Track Boy

Post by Track Boy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks, what angle camber could be run with the new uprated uprights fitted?

Jryti111

Post by Jryti111 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 am

Not sure why anyone would need the baffled pan. The SRAs have been running hard for 10 races without them and have zero failures mechanically.

As far as the Alignment settings, I have them at the shop

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:25 am

That brings up the age-old question ..

The Baffled Sump is an optional extra, but most assume the engines are delivered with them already fitted and the engine sealed.

The question? If an order didn't specify the baffled sump option, wouild it actually be removed from the engine?

Unless, of course, you get a better one fitted ...
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Through experience, I wouldn't track a car hard without the baffled sump.

Jryti111

Post by Jryti111 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Im just stating my experience as well, with this car.

Track Boy

Post by Track Boy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:00 pm

That seems like a good point from John, when you consider a baffled sump is just a normal sump with a couple of thin metal plates cast/welded in it would make sense to have them in all rather than by exception.
On the flip side to this, the engine in the 300 3 would be built for a Honda road car and so a baffled sump would not be a normal part of the built, Atom may need to remove the sump and fit themselves as required?

I dont fancy taking it off to check as I would need to get a set of seals and gaskets etc.

wattie

Post by wattie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Well for one, I'm completely baffled reading all this!!!!

Cheers Wattie

Track Boy

Post by Track Boy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Like what you did there Wattie!

Just come back from another great track session at Bedford, my god I cant wait for the new wheels with slicks to arrive (two weeks), it just has too much grunt to put down one you have hit the apex for the Yoko 48s to take, and thats on any corner including the long sweeping bends in 4th and 5th gear.

I really want to put some more camber on the rear when the Pirelli slicks go on, 1,5 is not enough although the slicks alone may fix it.

My fastest lap of the west circuit was a 1m23.5 but the swines took it off me for clipping a cone, so the only other times lap to count for the leader board was a 1m25 (gutted). Would have gone onto the 'how fast' leaderboard in 8th if it wasnt for that.

Oh, try it again in a couple of weeks when the new rubber arrives, cant beat £99 sessions at Bedford at the moment, great fun.

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Very Jealous.
:doh:
Cheers Wattie

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:05 pm

I really want to put some more camber on the rear when the Pirelli slicks go on, 1,5 is not enough although the slicks alone may fix
[/quote]

You have mentioned Pirelli slicks What size are these and are they readily available?

I have been running Avon Slicks on the 15/16 Dymags for the last 2 years and whilst not unhappy I am always keen to try different options.

I did look at the Dunlops but unfortunately because all newer radicals run a 265 rear the 235/605 rears appear to be hard to come by.

I would be interested to hear your feedback but I'm sure you will love slicks on the Atom  ;D