On Board Cameras - Go Pro Hero HD

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
FlyingTrotter

Re: On Board Cameras - Go Pro Hero HD

Post by FlyingTrotter » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Any of you techie chaps got any suggestions for video editing on an IPad 1 ??

I have got the SD card reader and can import the clips to the IPad and play them in "photos" which is brilliant but as my IPad isn't a 2 or the new jobbie I can't buy IMovie through The AppStore so I can't trim the set up stuff at the start and generally tidy them up - AppStore is blocked from selling it to me as it detects I have an IPad 1 and they says it's incompatible due to lack of a forward facing camera

I understand that IMovie will work if only I could get access to the App - assuming there is no way to get it other than through the now locked App store are there any other Apps that would work for me ??

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:18 pm

IMovie is ok, very intuitive but also basic and limited. Fine for simple montages but that's about it. Iv also got Realdirect which iv not used much but it allows a bit more editing. Its quite cheap so worth a look.

All in all I'm a bit disappointed with the limited movie editing tho on iPad. Annoying as my laptop isn't man enough to play gopro vids let alone edit.

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks - I suppose with IT stuff 2 years is a lifetime and I might have to get a new one so I can access the up to date Apps etc

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:49 pm

If you have a GoPro, this software from them is really useful when editing

http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:06 pm

It keeps crashing and takes an age - was looking to find a better solution

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:11 am

Ian - Did you spot my suggestion (reply #18) ?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 am

I have used lots of video editing programmes...

Pinnacle is very good and intuitive. Microsoft's Movie Maker is even simpler, but a little limited. iMovie is OK too, but the same applies. Adobe Premier is complex, but you get excellent results. Final Cut Pro is amazing when handled by an expert. I suggest you befriend an expert... Both these last two require you to convert the output from MP4 before editing. Ultimately, they all work to some degree, it just depends how much time you're prepared to put into learning the software.

If you have zero time = Pinnacle

If you want the best and are prepared to study = FCP

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:23 am

Thanks Bruce - may go with pinnacle - have tried reelldirector  which is usable on Ipad without any complex gubbins to secure it but it then crashed after a fair amount of investment of time on the IPad losing the projects so I am likely to go back to the laptop approach

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:22 am

People often confuse the iPad with a computer. It isn't one. It's just a big smartphone that doesn't make calls. Don't expect it to do everything.

Some things only a computer will do. And honestly, if you're editing footage, a proper computer is the only sensible way. Even a laptop doesn't really cut it if I'm honest - you need a big screen and a decent input device like a mouse or pen for the best results.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:28 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
People often confuse the iPad with a computer. It isn't one. It's just a big smartphone that doesn't make calls. Don't expect it to do everything.

Some things only a computer will do. And honestly, if you're editing footage, a proper computer is the only sensible way. Even a laptop doesn't really cut it if I'm honest - you need a big screen and a decent input device like a mouse or pen for the best results.
[/quote]

I think it really depends the level of your editing ambitions. If you want to produce something TV worthy then I agree a PC/Mac is the way to go. But for simple montages and basic editing, the iPad is perfectly sensible. Limited, yes, but really intuitive and takes very little time.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 am

iMovie is a pain as it wont import avi's - my camera I use to film in the car saves as Avi !
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

davo

Post by davo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:42 am

Trig,

Have you had a look at sony vegas movie studio HD platinum prod suite 11? (fair trips off the tongue don't it!!)

£35 from amazon and i have used it for editing from VIO POV video and various regular HD cams (pana & sony & canon)

works well!!

Cheers

Davo

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:20 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
iMovie is a pain as it wont import avi's - my camera I use to film in the car saves as Avi !
[/quote]

GoPro's CineForm software (that i mentioned earlier) converts footage so you can edit in iMovie.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:25 pm

I have plenty of software to convert the files from avi to imovie compatible files, but only on the pc - which rather misses the point when travelling.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....