Track set up

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
toms

Re: Track set up

Post by toms » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:12 pm

[quote="Track Boy"]
Hi all

My Atom 3 300 was at factory camber settings of 0 fronts and 1.5 rears, I have adjusted the fronts to 1.5 and left the rears as they are. I intend to use it with Pirelli slicks. Is this enough angle, I have seen a couple of guys running with 3 front and rear?
I want the car to handle high speed corners well, the car is only for track use.

Should I ajust the ride height down, if so by how much?

Will I need a baffled sump?

Thanks
[/quote]

Make sure that you are measuring the cambers at the correct and a consistent (when you re-measure) ride height.  The only way to do this is to disconnect the dampers and make up some blocks to simulate ride height; if you just bounce the car in between measurements it will never settle in the same place twice.

It sounds like maybe the way you are measuring them isn't quite right as the numbers you quote are way incorrect for a factory set-up; unless someone has changed something somewhere........

Don't raise or lower the ride heights more than around 5-10mm or the rod end bodies can hit on the upright bolts causing a potential rather nasty failure!

No experience of Pirelli slicks but it is impossible to predict what camber you will need to run without trying the tyres and seeing how they are wearing, where the temperatures/pressures get to, how hard you are driving etc.  Dunlop slicks traditionally need more camber because of the more rounded profile, Avons need less with the squarer edge.  IMO the Avons are hard to beat given that they are designed for a car of this type; I don't think Pirelli do anything with the appropriate sidewall construction (to my knowledge); but maybe they do now.

In my experience the problem with slicks is that the operating window is much narrower than a road/track-day tyre - if you don't get the correct construction and compound they just don't work; they either don't get hot enough or just tear the rubber off and you'd be better off with A048's or R888's.  Plus if they aren't working that well they don't last very long and cost a fortune!  They won't do many heat cycles even if they are working!

And I would say for sure that if you're driving hard on slicks that are working properly the big bearing rear uprights and baffled sump are advisable!

Now back to  :pop:  ;D

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Running Avon slicks I get a maximum of 3 Trackdays per set Front probably manage 5.

The rears go off first and when they do boy do you know it  :o

Avon have just re done there slicks so now a 210 (seems odd but they always were they just called them a 230)

You definitely need a tyre suited to a cars weight and avons great.

Met Avon man at one of Trackdays and they are going to change construction as car tearing rubber across face of tyre so needs beefing up in construction.

Tried soft compound but they probably did 1.5 Trackdays on rear but fronts fine.

Cambers I can't say at this time as I'm waiting for a Pyrometer to see what's really working.

Weather probably won't permit now but roll on 2012 and I will know better  ;D

toms

Post by toms » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:19 pm

[quote="Yorkshire"]
Running Avon slicks I get a maximum of 3 Trackdays per set Front probably manage 5.

The rears go off first and when they do boy do you know it  :o

Avon have just re done there slicks so now a 210 (seems odd but they always were they just called them a 230)

You definitely need a tyre suited to a cars weight and avons great.

Met Avon man at one of Trackdays and they are going to change construction as car tearing rubber across face of tyre so needs beefing up in construction.

Tried soft compound but they probably did 1.5 Trackdays on rear but fronts fine.

Cambers I can't say at this time as I'm waiting for a Pyrometer to see what's really working.

Weather probably won't permit now but roll on 2012 and I will know better  ;D
[/quote]

Sounds about right Stu - in fact i'd say that was quite good tyre life for slicks - get your foot down man  :laugh:

Those soft ones are great for hill climb/qualifier but as you say they don't last long!

2012 is only round the corner  :tu:

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:33 pm

And with the new suspension on the horizon who knows what we might achieve lol  :vroom:

toms

Post by toms » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:44 pm

[quote="Yorkshire"]
And with the new suspension on the horizon who knows what we might achieve lol  :vroom:
[/quote]

Hope to catch you at a track day in 2012; i'd be interested to see your set-up on the new car.  As you say,  :vroom:  ;D

glyn430

Post by glyn430 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Not sure Tom picked up on the huge hint there Stu?

toms

Post by toms » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:58 pm

[quote="Glyn430"]
Not sure Tom picked up on the huge hint there Stu?
[/quote]

You Northern boys are ganging up on me now are you?  ;D

Funnily enough i've just put in an order for some new dampers......  >:D

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 pm

New dampers  ;D

When can we order?

glyn430

Post by glyn430 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:13 pm

We are assuming that these are the dampers from the 500?  :drool:

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Think they are but Tom being reluctant to release to us FAST northern lads lol  >:D

toms

Post by toms » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:17 am

>:D

All in good time gents

:angel:

glyn430

Post by glyn430 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:35 am

Sometimes you just can't give your money away............ No recession in Crewkerne boys  :roflp: