My take on Atom Cup

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Paul Donkin

My take on Atom Cup

Post by Paul Donkin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:34 am

What a journey it's been & we still have two rounds to go.

Firstly, me & my old man wanted an atom in 2005, all after seeing the usual footage of JC in it on top gear. Usual story.

So we popped to meet ariel at the old barn, a deal was done there (Tom also took me out, as modest as his is, the old chopper can drive, end of story) & then & soon after ,we had a car. We enjoyed 5 years of Atoms (we sold the original for another in 2008) & many a track-day before being forced to sell up in 2010 to put the funds into a struggling business.

I met Tom at autosport in Jan as usual but also knew a cup car would be there, I have always wanted to go racing but the costs & the unfamiliarity of the sport put me off. Now though, I had to opportunity to drop into this with people I was familiar with & also trusted.

So, out of nowhere & having not driven on track for 2 years, I am going racing. It was a dream come true but I was also shitting my pants.

Anyway, it's been the best thing I have ever done, I have now also got to know the ARM (Ariel Race Management) team very well & I can guarantee you will not find a better environment to come & start your racing in. The support from Ariel has also been fantastic & this continues race to race.

It's been a steep learning curve for me but I am pleased with my results & consistency so far in the series.

I look forward to continuing the series in 2014 & hopefully with 20 cars on track!

Paul

Andrew300

Re: My take on Atom Cup

Post by Andrew300 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Its the dogs nuts what you've done this season Paul . Good luck for your next 2 races and 2014, I've come to 3 of the races and they have been top notch mate !
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

gavstoke

Post by gavstoke » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:52 pm

been great to follow the first year of the Atom cup so far. we have been to  as many as we could manage so far and hope to get to the final 2.
Although I (we) haven't met you personally, we have noticed you there in the Frey every time we've attended and can offer our applause for a job well done!
Good luck to all in the final rounds!

Gav n Ursh

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Hats off to you Paul - great show you all put on a pleasure to watch and meet you. Keep it up. Your giving the more experienced a good run for their money!
All the best for the next races

Stew

AndyG

Post by AndyG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:51 pm

I wish the race series had started sooner!

Much harder now to contemplate at the wrong end of the country and married with kid.

SO envious!

One of these days.

Raced with Lotus on Track in 2007 at had a similar year - top effort  :tu: