On Track - Nurburgring Nordschleife

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
007muel

On Track - Nurburgring Nordschleife

Post by 007muel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi Fella’s
Thought I’d share with you the most recent Atom journey/Track day....... The Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Without doubt the best track experience I’ve had, Disneyland for Petrol Heads! The 14mile track is awesome, I’ve done a few track days over the years in the Atom, Dax Rush and road cars, but the first 6 miles of the 1st lap or to be honest the whole 1st lap I was £$%&*£! myself, You Tube vid’s and the PS3 don’t come close to the sensations you get from this place. I spent more time pulling over on that lap and looking in my mirrors than I’ve done in my whole life!
The 2nd lap was far better the nervous had gone but the air of caution was still in my mind, you just don’t know where the corners go and most of them are blind crests even the straights in the stiffly sprung Atom shook a few fillings. Looking back at the footage it’s easy to say should have been flat out there or didn’t need to lift there, but to be honest I was happier for a slower lap time and to bring the car back to the UK in one piece and not a tow truck.

The banking of the carousel was great fun to drive round; I did feel sorry putting the car through it as its bloody rough as you fling the car in at speed. Zero mechanical sympathy for the whole lap to be truthful – Christmas car service please Santa or Simon!!

I did 4 laps in total with the last one being respectable, I spotted a Blue 911 GT3 in the distance and thought I’d do my best to catch it after a few corners I was close behind and having now dealt with traffic Nurburgring style I hovered in his mirrors till he moved over. In total the best 56 miles I’ve experienced behind the wheel not taking anything away from other UK tracks but the ring is something special.
I clocked the time on my last lap to be 9:12 which is slow but there were three Yellow flags to slow down for so I think a 8:12 would have been on the cards with a clear run on the last lap, happy with that  ;D

If you love cars and driving (and let’s face it if you’re on this forum you probably do) then treat yourself to the road trip and put the ring at the top of the to do list – its a real must and one to tick off the bucket list!

And to top off the road trip we called into Spa on the way home, the Monday after the GP. Spotted an access road onto the track and managed to get in a sneaky lap..... Happy Day’s.....

Also had to spend a day in Belgium to keep the girlfriend happy but that’s the dull bit and not worth typing about, but it goes to show that Wife’s/Girlfriends or the bit on the side can enjoy a motorsport road trip.

Ariel Atom Nurburgring Nordschleife

Got a bit wet on the way down!

Perfect sign post

This corner needs no introduction

Andrew300

Re: On Track - Nurburgring Nordschleife

Post by Andrew300 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Fantastic love it well done for sharing :tu:
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Looks like it was a blast. Been on my bucket list for awhile now... someday... even if it's in a Yugo.

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:27 pm

Having just returned from a glorious day on the Ring, my experience pretty much mirrors 007muel's, (except we just took the MX5 in case the worst happened!)

It is the most spectacular place to drive around and you have to be at full concentration the whole time. I think we must have been around the 13 mins mark on the first lap but were in the early 10s by the end of the day. I don't know how much faster we could have gone but with larger testicles it would be a fair bit!

I had practised a few laps on the Playstation before going and for me, it was an utter waste of time. The constant gradient, camber and direction changes are just incredible. I have never spent so much time looking in my mirrors on a track, mainly due to some insanely quick and madly driven GT3 RS's.

I think that after say 4 laps, I had learnt about 70% of the lap but even by the end of the day, I still only have about 85% sussed. That is to say I know where the corners go, it will take 2 more days to have got most corners sorted I think.

I can't remember being so scared on my first lap of a track, but I think that was healthy considering the scale, speed and complexities of the place. That said, don't let it put you off going, it is an experience that I would not swap for the world and it is more thrilling to drive than my favourite track, Spa, which is conveniently only just over an hour away!

The Ring taxi was not operating so I blagged some passenger rides in the afternoon with some experienced veterans, 2 runs in BMW Z3 M's which were great as the drivers really knew the place like the back of their hands and I got some great tips for making some corners work better for me. After these runs, you stop thinking of some of the corners individually and string them together as a package. This makes it much easier to take them all in but would totally screw you if you forgot where you were on the track. The last section of the track still confuses me a little and when you are arriving over a blind crest, it can be helpful to remember if the next hairpin is on the right or left (sorry about that Karl, I thought it went left honest ;D)

The carousel is just fabulous and I can't imagine it existing anywhere else. If you get the line right (all 4 wheels on the concrete) it holds you in then flings you out at the end. It is as bumpy as hell and it feels like you are oversteering through the whole thing but it was hysterical to drive. Your car may not like you much afterwards though.

My final blagged run of the day was one that I don't think I'll ever forget, it was in David Yu's (auto-journals.com & evo magazine) modified Nissan GT-R. 620 Bhp upgrade and uprated brakes coupled with a man who can drive very well indeed and knows the Ring like the back of his hand. I first came across David a couple of years ago at Bedford when he first got the car and even then he was hanging the back out at every opportunity. Whilst I don't profess to be on his level, it was hard work to keep up with him in the Atom and I think it was probably out of sympathy that he finally let me by.
I can honestly say it's the first time I have ever felt my neck muscles being pulled in a tin top car, especially over one lap (although 20km's is pretty long.) We hit speeds in excess of 160 mph and the car was quite amazing. I really could be very tempted indeed. David turned off the traction control which puts 98% of the power to the rear wheels and I could not see how the car could handle it but at 1700 kgs it simply defied physics. Even when traffic caused a slight detour from the black stuff David collected it very quickly and the 4WD kicked in. Every other car I have driven would have been in the wall but the GT-r just pushed on to the next corner.
Thanks for the ride, it was a game changer in what a car can do for me.

We arrived back in the pits just as they were closing for the day which meant I could not go out for the final run I was hoping for. That was probably very fortunate as I know I would probably have pushed too hard. I will be returning as soon as possible and will be praying for no rain!

Honestly guys, I can't recommend it enough. Don't do the tourist sessions when all sorts of sh1t can go on the track, choose a closed day so you don't have the insurance liability headache and you will have the time of your lives. It is simply that good :wize:

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

wasp

Post by wasp » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Link to the "off" is now on YouTube
Nissan GT-R 120mph "off" at the Nurburgring + no damage = win!

David was uber cool.

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:38 am

Stu - i told you it was dangerous!!!

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=24438

Those crazy Klaus's are nutter drivers - surprised there aren't more deaths/injuries/crashes.

definitely wouldn't do tourist days there

had a brilliant day on an official trackday - rude not to do Spa aswell next time on the same trip.

cheers

Karl

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Post removed as I was being a complete numpty and failed to spot that Karl had already posted the same story above !  :wize:

"Nothing to see here ... move on" as they say ..
Last edited by John Scherrer on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:30 pm

John
Are you copying my link ;)
Cheers
Karl

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi Karl,

Doh!

Sorry about that - Didn't see you'd already posted that earlier today ..

Just been reading the 16 pages of comment on PH - Thought we bickered on this forum !
No - we're just amateurs it seems ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 pm

No worries John

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks Fellas... really enjoyed that.

wasp

Post by wasp » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:36 am

We're heading back out again in October with Circuit Days.

We will probably add on their Spa day too, as Karl has previously said, it would be rude not to!

Not sure which car we will take but it's a brilliant experience in any car if anyone else fancies it.

The closed track day is the only way to do it.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 am

This was my first trip to the Ring in 2007.

Went off after a Gt3 Rs, Murcie & Gt2, ended up chasing a ring taxi with passengers taking pics!

Ring - M5 taxi chasing