What's your record number of red flags on a track day ?

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
FlyingTrotter

What's your record number of red flags on a track day ?

Post by FlyingTrotter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Was at Silverstone today on the GP

Must have been 8 stoppages in the morning and by the time I gave up at 4pm there had been almost as many - I've found Silverstone to be pretty bad what with the radicals and racers using track days as test days but today was the worst I've seen - a full day last week on Brands GP and we had 1 red flag as far as I can recall

FlyingTrotter

Re: What's your record number of red flags on a track day ?

Post by FlyingTrotter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Gold track

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:13 am

We had loads of reds at Silverstone earlier this year but nothing like that many. That's the worst I've ever heard of. :doh:

What was the main cause?

I think we must have had a similar amount in the morning at Brands in March and the TDO got all the drivers together in the pit lane to calm everyone down.

By this point in the year it's usually well sorted.

I think all the tracks could learn something from the way Spa handle live recovery, it has to be a pretty serious prang to red flag there.

Sorry you had a frustrating day.

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:22 am

We had a similar amount at Brands in July due the Radical racers and the Lotus racers - as you say, using the trackday as a test day and driving like it was a race. Pain in the arse really. It was sessioned tho so our session of 'normal' cars suffered less although the odd racer was bumped into our session and caused the odd stoppage.

TDO's need to make people aware I think and try and minimise this. Trouble is TDO's are finding it hard to make money whilst track prices increase and numbers are often down on trackdays. So turning people away is not really an option.

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Mechanical failures of race cars in the main - I'm hoping for better at Snetters but as they race there I suspect the race teams will be represented - that said Brands GP had plenty of the massive race transporters and pit crew support and we had far fewer closures 1 rather than 12 or more at Silverstone