2008 - On track Category.

Select your category and post your pics here!
ragdoll

Re: 2008 - On track Category.

Post by ragdoll » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:50 am

That's odd some of you can't see my photos.  They are hosted one a solid photograhy website... plus I can see them just fine. :)

I noticed that where Alec posted up the red X's the X's showed "http://forum.atomclub.com/" as the link for the picture.  Which is of course incorrect.  Looks like your account or browser(s) are rewriting the code for those links.  No idea why.

Anyways...

Here's a very recent shot of Lane at USAIR in Shawano,WI. 

[img width=800 height=533]http://upload.pbase.com/image/104958878/original.jpg[/img]

Larger Link: http://upload.pbase.com/image/104958878/original.jpg

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:56 am

[quote="ragdoll"]
May I ask a type of poll question...  Did you guys pay for your on track photos?  If so, how much?  Curious.  Thanks.
[/quote]

In recent years, I've been fortunate enough to be given photos from a number of people who attend the same events.  But prior to that, (over ten years, about 50 events), I believe I've had the opportunity to purchase photos only three times.
  • Blackhawk Farms in Rockton IL - did an HPDE with the national BMW club and they had a motorsports photographer out there with a van.  Their handful of photographers were at the best spots on the track throughout the day and took an amazing number of photos, many of which were outstanding.  I skipped all the printed photo packages offered in favor of a DVD with all the shots that were taken of me throughout the day (probably around 30) that they offered for $85.  Unfortunately, it took more than a month to receive the DVD in the mail and when I did, it contained lower-resolution photos.  Very disappointing.
  • I was at a dragstrip in Tennessee where a photographer was set up with an RV, and was able to show you all his shots of you throughout the evening and offer 8x10s printed on-the-spot for $20, accompanied by a disk with all your photos.  Very slick set up, and the guy had a lot of business.
  • For the Hot Rod Power Tour, these guys were ever-present.  They were set up at every venue throughout the week, and had photos available immediately after they were taken (cameras linked to home base via wi-fi or something?).  I didn't buy anything from them because I take plenty of my own photos with the car standing still - it's the ones where I'm driving that I need from others.
Ragdoll - here's what you need to consider doing.  Shoot in a mode other than raw so you don't have to spend time manually tweaking each photo.  Then have a laptop at the track and burn a DVD of an individual's photos at the track for those that want them after an event is done and charge them $20 a pop or so.  The low cost and immediate availability would make it very appealing to darn near everyone for a reasonable investment in time for you, while giving you more in return for something you already enjoy doing and are pretty darn good at.  :tu:
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

ragdoll

Post by ragdoll » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Excellent info Lane. 

The "issue" for me is that I don't want to spend all the time, money, and effort on taking photos and then give them all away pre-touched up. 

It seems most people assume that good pictures should come right off the camera but that is not the case.  Point and Shoot cameras take the picture and apply preset enhancements to the photos sharpness, color, and contrast before writing it to memory.  Doing so makes it impossible to later change the attributes of the photo to what the photographer intended without wrecking pixels(making it look like poo when zoomed in). 

So I shoot without enhancements with my camera(which is how most higher end SLR's cameras come set up) and then adjust the photos to how they should be later.  It's a pride thing?  I don't know, but I don't like giving out subpar photos to people.  I feel like I'm not only cheating them, but myself as well.

What I AM going to do for now on is take pictures in RAW + Small JPG mode for now on so I can show the Small JPG online right away and then people can get to me with their requests for the real photos later if they want.  Only thing that has held me back from that was my small 4GB card I shot with(RAW+JPG takes much more space).  I have a 16GB card on the way so it shouldn't be an issue(new camera sucks up the memory pretty quick)

That sound dumb?  Ok good.

Carry on. :)

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:35 pm

[quote="ragdoll"]
I noticed that where Alec posted up the red X's the X's showed "http://forum.atomclub.com/" as the link for the picture.  Which is of course incorrect.  Looks like your account or browser(s) are rewriting the code for those links.  No idea why.
[/quote]

In my post I replaced your links in the quote so that the red Xs weren't as large as the photos should have been so it would take up less space on the screen but I couldn't see your photos at that time.

Seems to have sorted itself out for me now as I can see your latest one as well.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:24 pm

Yah, I'm aware that there is a good amount of image processing that takes place in-camera for most digitals these days, but...

[quote="ragdoll"]
It seems most people assume that good pictures should come right off the camera but that is not the case.
[/quote]

I think your perspective/standard of comparison is different than most, though.  I would contend that the average person at the track who would like a handful of photos doesn't have the same eye & expectations as you and will gladly trade a difference they can't notice with the naked eye for a set of convenient as-is .JPGs on-the-spot or with minimal fuss on your part.  I certainly would when weighed with the alternative - asking you to spend time manually messing with each photo (since I would like ALL of them that you've taken  ;D), and I'd also guess that many others currently do the same and offer you less money than your time is worth.

[quote="ragdoll"]
I don't know, but I don't like giving out subpar photos to people.
[/quote]

Again, subpar depends on your standard of comparison & perspective.  Reminds me of when jewelers want you to pay 4x as much for a diamond that looks identical to another with the naked eye.  "But look at it under this microscope!"

[quote="ragdoll"]
What I AM going to do for now on is take pictures in RAW + Small JPG mode
[/quote]

Well heck, a camera that can save a photo in both formats sounds like the ideal solution.

[quote="ragdoll"]
That sound dumb?
[/quote]

Nope, not at all.  I understand everything that you're saying.  But consider these thoughts as well.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:22 pm

Here are a few pictures of a track day this last sunday. Thanks to bolus for making this sequence with the pictures I sent him.  :tu:

Last edited by Kempo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Kempo'

If you want any chance of winning I suggest you select a couple and post them "static".  It's very hard to choose a winner from that lot.  ;)

morgy

Post by morgy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks John. Braking Hard.
Attachments
atom small.jpg
atom small.jpg (34.02 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
atom small2.jpg
atom small2.jpg (38.41 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
atom small1.jpg
atom small1.jpg (33.14 KiB) Viewed 2813 times

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:01 pm

A month later this Formula Continental was involved in an off which removed all four corners and the wings, plus a little transmission damage. About $8k in damage. At least Winter is coming.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... mandFF.jpg[/img]

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:27 pm

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:39 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
Kempo'

If you want any chance of winning I suggest you select a couple and post them "static".  It's very hard to choose a winner from that lot.  ;)
[/quote]

Its sure cool to see two high power turbo ecotec atoms racing it out on the track

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:47 pm

[quote="bolus"]
[quote="John Lloyd"]
Kempo'

[/quote]

Its sure cool to see two high power turbo ecotec atoms racing it out on the track
[/quote]

Agreed, but I like the photos of the orange one better  ;)  Especially the ones taken through the mesh fence, kind of criminal looking.  (Not sure what the mens, but like the look.)

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:48 pm

Here you go John.
Attachments
atom small7.jpg
atom small7.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
atom small6.jpg
atom small6.jpg (30.07 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
atom small5.jpg
atom small5.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 2770 times

Kempo